Edgartown

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
      Hi,

      We returned late day yesterday, 9 days on the boat/water 4 boats traveling together much of the time.

      Four Boats: "Ruby" (Catalina 30); Sanity Check (C30); Long Wolf (C320) & Nomad (C36)

      Day/Evening 1 Saturday July 21  WYC to Scituate Harbor

      Day 2             Sun. July 22         Scituate to Onset (all 4 boats)

      Day 3             Mon. July 23        Onset to Red Brook (plan was VH, weather/seas)

      Day 4             Tues. July 24       Another Day in Red Brook, not a bad thing.  Delayed due to one boats mechanical problems.  C36 stuck nose out late in day and returned, heavy seas.

      Day 5            Wed.  July 25     The 2 C30's to VH, slow rough ride (motor), wind on nose, occasional wave over bow.       The C36  & C320 to Cutty Hunk.

      Day 6 & 7 (Thurs. 26 & Fri. 27) the 2 C30's stayed at VH and the C36 & C320 stayed at Cutty Hunk (fogged in)

      Day 8 (Sat. July 28)            The 2 C30's and the C36 and C320 meet near Cleavland Ledge and motor and sail to Plymouth harbor.

      Day 9 all 4 boats depart Plymouth Harbor by 11:00 AM ish heading home to WYC dodging (by luck) thunderstorms the whole way home, WYC arrival  approx. 6:00 PM.

      All in all a GREAT cruise .. Next year we/I am determined to make our way back to Newport and Block Island. We encounter little to no rain and mostly agreeable weather.

      The crew of the 2 C30's did make Edgartown (by rental car).  We didn't get to speak to any locals or sailboat cruisers about the harbor navigation and/or the spit break.

    • Mike Long
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
        I just spent last Sunday through Wednesday in Edgartown . Everything
        was great , friendly people, wonderful weather, no problem getting a
        mooring. The current due to breach had a minimal effect on getting in
        and out of the harbor.

        --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "momcats13" <momcats13@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          Message
          Years ago, before the breach closed up, there was current in the harbor and across the ferry passage, but nothing extreme. One night I swam across for the hell of it, and I was a weak swimmer then and a weaker one now. I used to sail in and out regularly in my 42' yawl and anchor in the harbor w/ no problems. When the tide changed all hell broke loose in the harbor, w/ all the boats swinging in all directions. It was the entertainment of the evening. Its a great spot.