Edgartown

  • momcats13
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
      Sounds like those that made the Martha's Vineyard trip have returned.
      Did anyone get to Edgartown either by land or sea for some updates on
      what's happening there?
      Monica
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
        Hi,

        We returned late day yesterday, 9 days on the boat/water 4 boats traveling together much of the time.

        Four Boats: "Ruby" (Catalina 30); Sanity Check (C30); Long Wolf (C320) & Nomad (C36)

        Day/Evening 1 Saturday July 21  WYC to Scituate Harbor

        Day 2             Sun. July 22         Scituate to Onset (all 4 boats)

        Day 3             Mon. July 23        Onset to Red Brook (plan was VH, weather/seas)

        Day 4             Tues. July 24       Another Day in Red Brook, not a bad thing.  Delayed due to one boats mechanical problems.  C36 stuck nose out late in day and returned, heavy seas.

        Day 5            Wed.  July 25     The 2 C30's to VH, slow rough ride (motor), wind on nose, occasional wave over bow.       The C36  & C320 to Cutty Hunk.

        Day 6 & 7 (Thurs. 26 & Fri. 27) the 2 C30's stayed at VH and the C36 & C320 stayed at Cutty Hunk (fogged in)

        Day 8 (Sat. July 28)            The 2 C30's and the C36 and C320 meet near Cleavland Ledge and motor and sail to Plymouth harbor.

        Day 9 all 4 boats depart Plymouth Harbor by 11:00 AM ish heading home to WYC dodging (by luck) thunderstorms the whole way home, WYC arrival  approx. 6:00 PM.

        All in all a GREAT cruise .. Next year we/I am determined to make our way back to Newport and Block Island. We encounter little to no rain and mostly agreeable weather.

        The crew of the 2 C30's did make Edgartown (by rental car).  We didn't get to speak to any locals or sailboat cruisers about the harbor navigation and/or the spit break.

      • Mike Long
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          I just spent last Sunday through Wednesday in Edgartown . Everything
          was great , friendly people, wonderful weather, no problem getting a
          mooring. The current due to breach had a minimal effect on getting in
          and out of the harbor.

          --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "momcats13" <momcats13@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
            Years ago, before the breach closed up, there was current in the harbor and across the ferry passage, but nothing extreme. One night I swam across for the hell of it, and I was a weak swimmer then and a weaker one now. I used to sail in and out regularly in my 42' yawl and anchor in the harbor w/ no problems. When the tide changed all hell broke loose in the harbor, w/ all the boats swinging in all directions. It was the entertainment of the evening. Its a great spot.