Re: [MassBaySailors] Buzzards Bay anchoring/mooring spot besides (but close to) Hadley Harbor?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
      Quissett Harbor, just NE of Woods Hole. (Note: Quisset is a little
      narrow, just watch the buoyage.) I draw 4' 6" and had no problem
      center channel.

      Generally, they have a few moorings or will put you onto a private
      one (still charging, of course).

      I have heard that Hadley's moorings are free, courtesy of the
      USCG. Although many are labeled as private. Perhaps someone else has
      better data on the round balls vs the other ones.)

      I have read, they never did it, you could put into the back of
      Weepecket Island. (Just outside of Naushon Island)

      If you haven't been in Hadley before, it is narrow, twisty and rocky.
      You can anchor on the "Outside" or go inside to pick up a mooring (or
      anchor, depending on crowd conditions).

      If time and opportunity permits, Hadley Harbor has "boating" trails
      (Dinghy only, motor HIGHLY recommended) called "The Gutters". Tidal
      streams from Hadley Harbor, through the landscape, under foot bridges
      to the Bay. Very pretty, but if not with a motor, check tide tables
      carefully. You are NOT welcome to trespass on Forbes property (owners
      of Naushon and most of the Elizabeth Islands), but waterways are
      excluded [apparently]. Watch for rocks. Oars, boat pole and motor are
      all good to have in the dinghy.

      Or even Onset, Red Brook Harbor, etc. depending on how close far you
      want to be near Woods Hole for the turnaround.

      Also, in Eldridge it is given an optimal time to get through Woods
      Hole if planning to go down Nantucket Sound.
      He says "To hold the longest fair current from Buzzards Bay headed
      East through Vd. & Nan. Sds, go through Woods Hole 2 1/2 hours after
      flood starts SE in Woods Hole. (Any earlier means adverse currents in
      the sounds,) "

      Bob

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
        Weepecket Islands are a reasonable escape point if it starts blowing from
        the Southeast.
        However, the area is small, and you are really close to the rocks. It seems
        to be nice for a lunch hook.
        Once, as I was (unsuccesfully) trying to beat my way up to Cuttyhunk, I saw
        a sailboat hunkered down there.
        After motorsailing for a while with a triple reefed main at 30 knot I bagged
        it and turned around to Hadley Harbor.
        Because of the front, the harbor was full, I had to anchor close to the
        rocks at the entrance.
        Ahmet
        "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
        Winthrop Yach Club