Re: Buzzards Bay anchoring/mooring spot besides (but close to) Hadley Harbor?

  • Larry Robertie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
      Red Brook Harbor. Get a mooring at Parkers and eat at the Chart Room
      over at Kingmans (Parkers water taxi will take you over, or use the
      dingy). There's a sand bar protecting the harbor that makes a great
      beach.

      Larry Robertie
      Ruach, Catalina 34 mkII
      Salem, MA

      --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smaldone"

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
        You can also drop your anchor at Red Brooks.
        However, if you are on your way to the vinyard, Onset is shorter to get
        into.
        If the canal turns West at 9 am, you could just as well go all the way to
        the Vineyard.
        Since you are planning to stay a day and a half, Redbrook gives you a great
        opportunity to swim etc.
        Ahmet
        "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
        Winthrop Yach Club
        Winthrop MA
        www.sailnomad.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
          Quissett Harbor, just NE of Woods Hole. (Note: Quisset is a little
          narrow, just watch the buoyage.) I draw 4' 6" and had no problem
          center channel.

          Generally, they have a few moorings or will put you onto a private
          one (still charging, of course).

          I have heard that Hadley's moorings are free, courtesy of the
          USCG. Although many are labeled as private. Perhaps someone else has
          better data on the round balls vs the other ones.)

          I have read, they never did it, you could put into the back of
          Weepecket Island. (Just outside of Naushon Island)

          If you haven't been in Hadley before, it is narrow, twisty and rocky.
          You can anchor on the "Outside" or go inside to pick up a mooring (or
          anchor, depending on crowd conditions).

          If time and opportunity permits, Hadley Harbor has "boating" trails
          (Dinghy only, motor HIGHLY recommended) called "The Gutters". Tidal
          streams from Hadley Harbor, through the landscape, under foot bridges
          to the Bay. Very pretty, but if not with a motor, check tide tables
          carefully. You are NOT welcome to trespass on Forbes property (owners
          of Naushon and most of the Elizabeth Islands), but waterways are
          excluded [apparently]. Watch for rocks. Oars, boat pole and motor are
          all good to have in the dinghy.

          Or even Onset, Red Brook Harbor, etc. depending on how close far you
          want to be near Woods Hole for the turnaround.

          Also, in Eldridge it is given an optimal time to get through Woods
          Hole if planning to go down Nantucket Sound.
          He says "To hold the longest fair current from Buzzards Bay headed
          East through Vd. & Nan. Sds, go through Woods Hole 2 1/2 hours after
          flood starts SE in Woods Hole. (Any earlier means adverse currents in
          the sounds,) "

          Bob

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
            Weepecket Islands are a reasonable escape point if it starts blowing from
            the Southeast.
            However, the area is small, and you are really close to the rocks. It seems
            to be nice for a lunch hook.
            Once, as I was (unsuccesfully) trying to beat my way up to Cuttyhunk, I saw
            a sailboat hunkered down there.
            After motorsailing for a while with a triple reefed main at 30 knot I bagged
            it and turned around to Hadley Harbor.
            Because of the front, the harbor was full, I had to anchor close to the
            rocks at the entrance.