[MassBaySailors] Anchor rider...ideas?

  • Iain Galloway
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 20, 2007
      I read about the anchor rider. I'm sure it works well, but what about just using a small mushroom anchor and send it down the rode of your main anchor. Anyone tried this idea?
      Regards,
      Iain

      Sleepless nights at anchor?
      Here's a useful tool to make anchoring safer and more secure. The Kiwi Anchor Rider is a simple anchor weight that slides half way down the anchor rode (chain or nylon line) and adds up to 30 pounds to the catenary of the rode - actually doubling the anchor's holding power.

      The Kiwi Anchor Rider also dampens side to side yaw in gusty conditions and helps prevent the rode from snubbing on the windlass as it straightens out. Made in New Zealand. This thing really works and is worth its weight in gold - almost - and is much better than a sleeping pill. Learn more at www.anchorbuddy.co.nz or call AB Marine at 401-847-7960 or 800-801-8922.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2007
        HI Iain,

        A cou0ple years back I did a fair amount of research in the form of Internet Searches.

        A synopsis of that research would be: Just about anything with weight and a means retrieval will work.

        The reason for that research was my thought that if the lowered catenary of the pull would increase the effective angle of the anchor, then would it be reasonable to decrease the scope with an anchor rider or other weight?

        The answer from all rationale corners was a resounding NO, do not reduce scope when using a sentinel (Trade Mark "Anchor Buddy").

        One of the interesting features is that in a crowded anchorage, boats as less likely to swing against your anchor rode when using a sentinel or a Kellet.

        The Anchor Buddy website has a lot of interesting charts, graphs and a short movie on how their product works. You could apply the theory to just about any sort of weight.

        Bob Early

        At 05:44 PM 7/20/2007, you wrote:

[...]

      • terry regan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21, 2007
          Hi Bob, I had a question about your overnite to Ptown.  You stated that the boat ended up going off course about 15 miles (Yikes!) while crew was at the helm.  Curious as to how that may have happened?  What do you have for electronics?  Were you on a compass course?  Just a Newbie wondering.  Sorry you're prone to sea sickness.  I've had a couple of times w/ the queasys my self.  I have my own supply of ginger chews and ginger beer  now (forget the rum,  had my own "dark and stormy" going on in my innards :-)     It's that pitching and yawing and not being at the helm, I think.      Terry

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 22, 2007
            Hi Terry,

            This is one of those areas of "how american english drives my wife
            bonkers". Semantics and words can be very ambiguous unless carefully drafted.

            I should have said "off my planned course". Of course my crew person
            could not know how long or to what extent my "illness" would last, so
            of course it would be prudent to head for the nearest harbor, which
            was Green Harbor.

            That being said, I normally use a Garmin GPS MAP 12, which was
            supposed to be a dual purpose GPS for Land and Water. After I
            purchased the Garmin (deep discounted as a open box return from West
            Marine), I set about using it. In order to have the light list, I
            needed to purchase the supplemental Land and Water diskette from Garmin.

            Normally I have a preplotted course to follow as a course line which
            I also plot on my paper charts. My process, in general, is to lay
            out the course using MapTech Ocean Navigator, upload the course and
            waypoints to my GPS. Then using the Maptech plan printout, lay out
            the course on the paper charts (Maptech 17" x 22" book).
            Compute the course direction, length and bearing. Then check these
            numbers against the GPS direction and leg lengths and see if they
            agree within normal measurement errors. < 5 degrees on angles and
            less than .5 mile on lengths.

            After all this, when we tack, the course line remains, but the actual
            course will differ. But at least I will have had a preview of what to
            expect in the area's of concern.

            For those really tight (or tight to me) areas, I'll have one person
            on the helm (tiller steering) and another watching the chart and GPS
            Lat / Lon and physical sightings (towers, land masses, etc.) making
            sure they agree.

            As odd as it may seem, sometimes the pencil plots and charts do NOT
            agree with the Maptech course. Scale differences or what, but when an
            error occurs, I defer to the paper charts.

            Normally my Bonine (meclazine hyrochloride) keeps the body under
            control. It's those darn darn following seas from either quarter that
            do me in, even while at the helm. Egrog, is why we have additional crew aboard.

            Bob

            At 10:22 PM 7/21/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi Bob, I had a question about your overnite to Ptown. You stated
            >that the boat ended up going off course about 15 miles (Yikes!)
            >while crew was at the helm. Curious as to how that may have
            >happened? What do you have for electronics? Were you on a compass
            >course? Just a Newbie wondering. Sorry you're prone to sea
            >sickness. I've had a couple of times w/ the queasys my self. I
            >have my own supply of ginger chews and ginger beer now (forget the
            >rum, had my own "dark and stormy" going on in my innards
            >:-) It's that pitching and yawing and not being at the helm, I
            >think. Terry
            >
            >We 2 Sail <we2sail@...> wrote:
            >

            >Ready for the edge of your seat?
            ><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48220/*http://tv.yahoo.com/>Check out
            >tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.
          • querencia
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 22, 2007

              Nasty, Nasty,

              You made Bob reveal all his inner secrets !!

              Ed Pinanski

              " Querencia "

              1986 Pearson P33-2  # 37

              Beverly,MA [ On the North Shore ]

              Hi Bob, I had a question about your overnite to Ptown.  You stated that the boat ended up going off course about 15 miles (Yikes!) while crew was at the helm.  Curious as to how that may have happened?  What do you have for electronics?  Were you on a compass course?  Just a Newbie wondering.  Sorry you're prone to sea sickness.  I've had a couple of times w/ the queasys my self.  I have my own supply of ginger chews and ginger beer  now (forget the rum,  had my own "dark and stormy" going on in my innards :-)     It's that pitching and yawing and not being at the helm, I think.      Terry

              We 2 Sail <we2sail@verizon. net> wrote:
              <

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

            • querencia
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 22, 2007

                 Bob,

                We all have times when the following seas get to us, but we still Love Sailing !!!

                Ed Pinanski

                " Querencia "

                1986 Pearson P33-2  # 37

                Beverly,MA [ On the North Shore ]

                .

              • terry regan

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 23, 2007
                    These seem to be a good idea in the right conditions. I have a
                    dor-mor which is made in the U.S. Just be aware that if you attach it
                    to a rope rode and the bottom is rocky you could end up on shore.
                    this was advice from the dor-mor company.

                    Tom

                    --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Galloway"

                    anchor?<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hojvpccab.0.tytvpccab.lmpduvbab.5892&ts=S0258&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cruisingcompass.com%2Findex.php%3Fissue%3D68%23a829>

                    www.anchorbuddy.co.nz<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hojvpccab.0.8tcvjxbab.lmpduvbab.5892&ts=S0258&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anchorbuddy.co.nz>or

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 23, 2007
                      Hi -  I'll chime in.
                      Yes I was just referring to using the mushroom anchor JUST as a weight on the rode.
                      This would be sent down the line, but not allowed to touch bottom.

                      I also just noticed some fishing weights? (10~16lbs) at the boat store the other day. I presume they are for the big outriggers that some powerboats have.They might work as well.

                      ALSO - I'm interpreting the comment about ending up on shore as - the weight could chafe all the way through the anchor rode if you aren't careful.
                      Is that correct??

                      Regards,
                      Iain

                      On 7/23/07, We 2 Sail <we2sail@...> wrote:

                      Hi Tom,

                      Quick question. I checked the Dor-Mor web site
                      (http://www.dor-mor.com/) and was unable to locate their other
                      products beside fixed mooring anchors and mooring anchorage systems.

                      Do they do kellet (or sentinels) by special order? Kellets, sentinels
                      are the generic names for the Anchor Rider (which is a trademarked name).

                      ( I think the comment about using a mushroom anchor as a kellet kinda
                      mislead the conversation a bit. I believe [ think ] the author
                      intended to use the "mushroom anchor" just as a weight to pull down
                      the anchor catenary, which decreases the angle of pull on the main
                      anchor shank.) As many know, the "Anchor Buddy" is a just a metal
                      (brass?) weight with an attached pulley to make deployment down the
                      anchor line easier.

                      Thanks,

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 23, 2007

                        At 10:02 AM 7/23/2007, you wrote:

                        >These seem to be a good idea in the right conditions. I have a
                        >dor-mor which is made in the U.S. Just be aware that if you attach it
                        >to a rope rode and the bottom is rocky you could end up on shore.
                        >this was advice from the dor-mor company.
                        >
                        >Tom
                        >
                        >--- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Galloway"
                        ><iaintravelgalloway@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > *I read about the anchor rider. I'm sure it works well, but what
                        >about just
                        > > using a small mushroom anchor and send it down the rode of your main
                        >anchor.
                        > > Anyone tried this idea?
                        > > Regards,
                        > > Iain
                        > >
                        > > Sleepless nights at
                        > >
                        >anchor?<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hojvpccab.0.tytvpccab.lmpduvbab.5892&ts=S0258&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cruisingcompass.com%2Findex.php%3Fissue%3D68%23a829>
                        > > *
                        > > Here's a useful tool to make anchoring safer and more secure. The Kiwi
                        > > Anchor Rider is a simple anchor weight that slides half way down the
                        >anchor
                        > > rode (chain or nylon line) and adds up to 30 pounds to the catenary
                        >of the
                        > > rode - actually doubling the anchor's holding power.
                        > >
                        > > The Kiwi Anchor Rider also dampens side to side yaw in gusty
                        >conditions and
                        > > helps prevent the rode from snubbing on the windlass as it
                        >straightens out.
                        > > Made in New Zealand. This thing really works and is worth its weight
                        >in gold
                        > > - almost - and is much better than a sleeping pill. Learn more at
                        > >
                        >www.anchorbuddy.co.nz<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hojvpccab.0.8tcvjxbab.lmpduvbab.5892&ts=S0258&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anchorbuddy.co.nz>or
                        > > call AB Marine at 401-847-7960 or 800-801-8922.
                        > >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Barry Needalman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 23, 2007
                          Has anyone in the group actually used the Kiwi Anchor Rider?  Does it live up to its claims?

                          Is there any difference between the expensive Anchor Rider and just any weight (bag full of spare chain, fishing weight, used window sash weights, dumbell, whatever)?

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 23, 2007
                            I think it's more likely that the weight will force some of the line to lie on the bottom and cause chafe.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 23, 2007
                              The Kiwi Rider web site has some excellent drawings and a short video showing how to use the kellet properly.

                              As I recall, it is important that the weight be some fraction of the total anchor weight (30 pounds on a 120 pound anchor), so that it only pulls down the catenary and you are correct. It should not touch bottom.

                              Here is a second article explaining how the kellet works on the anchor rode:

                              http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm

                              And the explanation from the Kiwi Rider:

                              http://www.anchorbuddy.co.nz/how.html

                              I found all the information to be informative. When I asked on the LongIsland SailNet forum, I had several favorable replies about using a weight / chain / lead filled plastic pipes, etc,

                              Disclaimer: I don't get a cut or anything else for revealing what I was able to learn about  using Kellets and sentinels; whether it be a length of chain in a bag or an aluminum / brass composite costing $300 or so.

                              Keep in mind if one orders a 25 - 30 pound block of metal, there will be significant shipping charges.

                              That idea someone had about a 25 pound sinker used by fishing boats sounds like a good one. Probably a decent shape with a fixed eye to attach! WOW! I just checked my Boaters World catalog and a ten pound downrigger weight lists for $49.95!

                              Ellis Marine (in Leominster) has trolling weights for $33.95. Still seems a bit high when a hunk of RR Track or Lead might be a bit cheaper!! <smile>

                              Bob Early

                              Whatever, just don't use Zinc unless a periodic replacement is planned!!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 30, 2007
                                I use a 15 lbs mushroom whenever I am anchoring overnight and the conditions are less than totally calm.
                                It does have a marginal effect, it mostly helps to dig in the anchor if the wind pipes up, before it looses it's effectiveness.
                                In any winds above 15 knots the rode will still be straight. The 15 lbs do not do much.
                                But, it acts like an additional 10 ft of chain
                                Ahmet
                                "Nomad"  1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                                Winthrop Yach Club
                                Winthrop MA