Introduction

  • Cal Collins e-guana.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2007
      Hi All,

      I've been lurking silently on the group for a while so I figure I should
      post an introduction. This is a great group - always interesting posts
      and stories! Bill thanks for moderating and getting so much discussion
      going.

      I live in Newton but sail out of Mattapoisett (not technically Mass Bay,
      I know; used to sail from Squantum YC in Quincy though). I sold my '76
      Aquarius 23 centerboard trailersailor this spring and just launched a
      1973 O'Day 27, "Amulet". Have been out twice so far - once in 20 knot
      winds under reefed main only, and once with full sail (main + jib). Both
      times were great - nothing broke (hooray!) and the boat feels much more
      stable, solid, and faster than my old one. There seems to be a lot more
      weather helm than on my Aquarius, I'll be playing with the rig settings
      to see how to deal with that.

      I decided to move up in size to something more stable with a true keel
      (my wife was a particular support of that) and better accomodations for
      weekend cruising (I'm 6'4" so standing headroom or close to it was
      important). The additional speed from better pointing ability and a
      larger rig will help make destinations for those weekend cruises more
      realistic I hope. As much as I enjoyed the adventure of sailing the
      Aquarius in the afternoon Buzzards Bay chop, based on early results I
      think we made the right decision.

      I've been working on the boat since February - a few major projects,
      including my first experiences with fiberglassing, and a lot of little
      ones. At times it looked like it would never end, so it's pretty
      satisfying to finally get in the water and go sailing. The 2 times out
      so far were 2-3 hour afternoon sails. I am hoping to get in a couple of
      weekend cruises around Buzzards Bay and Vineyard Sound this summer;
      would like to get down to Cuttyhunk as soon as possible.

      Cheers,
      Cal

      Cal Collins
      O'Day 27 "Amulet"