Parkinag ideas for Salem/Marblehead harbor?

  • gb7107
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2007
      Hi everyone, but especially the Salem area sailors:

      I am taking the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boat in Marblehead out for
      a week's cruise (French Whine, Cal 33) and have just found out today
      that the Village St lot on the marblehead side allows day but not
      overnight parking...

      Given the recent discussins about Salem area moorings, I figured some
      of you may be able to provide some advice... Does anyone have any
      suggestions on the Salem side for where I can park? I know there is
      a raised garage of sorts just at the bridge in Salem, where you can
      grab the Salem-side "water taxi", but unsure if it allows overnight
      parking. The day I parked there, it was free...

      Secondly, thanks all for the great discussion on Blynman Canal. My
      itinerary is currently MHD - Newburyport - Portsmouth - Isles of
      Shoals - Rockport, MA - MHD. Was debating whether or not the
      canal/Annisquam was right for me or not, and it sounds like it is
      probably the right choice (especially since the forecasted winds for
      Saturday are fairly light, so if I must motor, would rather do so in
      a canal than around Cape Ann.)

      I'll be sure to report back from my travels. Thanks for any parking
      advice you can provide.

      Fair weather to all,
      Craig della Penna
      BHSC Member - 3rd yr
    • Phillip
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2007
        Hi -
        not sure where you live, but I know there is an express bus that runs
        from downtown Boston (Bank of America pregnant building) to Marblehead
        (I think it stops right by the Barnacle, near the harbor), only takes
        an hour. Might be an option?
        Phillip
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12, 2007
          I used to overnight park in the free unattended parking lot on Bridge
          Street in Salem (near the Pickering Wharf / Salem Water Taxi Pickup).
          There is also an attended parking garage on Bridge Street (maybe 100
          feet away, used to and I think may still allow long duration parking.
          I had used both when I moored in Salem Harbor in 2001 and used the
          Salem Water Taxi Service (by season rate).

          Bob

          At 10:59 PM 7/11/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi everyone, but especially the Salem area sailors:
          >
          >I am taking the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boat in Marblehead out for
          >a week's cruise (French Whine, Cal 33) and have just found out today
          >that the Village St lot on the marblehead side allows day but not
          >overnight parking...
          >
          >Given the recent discussins about Salem area moorings, I figured some
          >of you may be able to provide some advice... Does anyone have any
          >suggestions on the Salem side for where I can park? I know there is
          >a raised garage of sorts just at the bridge in Salem, where you can
          >grab the Salem-side "water taxi", but unsure if it allows overnight
          >parking. The day I parked there, it was free...
          >
          >Secondly, thanks all for the great discussion on Blynman Canal. My
          >itinerary is currently MHD - Newburyport - Portsmouth - Isles of
          >Shoals - Rockport, MA - MHD. Was debating whether or not the
          >canal/Annisquam was right for me or not, and it sounds like it is
          >probably the right choice (especially since the forecasted winds for
          >Saturday are fairly light, so if I must motor, would rather do so in
          >a canal than around Cape Ann.)
          >
          >I'll be sure to report back from my travels. Thanks for any parking
          >advice you can provide.
          >
          >Fair weather to all,
          >Craig della Penna
          >BHSC Member - 3rd yr

        • Larry Robertie
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2007
            You can get a Salem parking map here -
            http://www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_Parking/parkmap

            I assume you are talkinga about the south harbor garage on the corner
            of Congress and Derby.

            http://www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_Parking/parkingrates shows parking
            rates for the garages. Note there is in fact a rate for overnight.

            Enjoy the trip!

            Larry Robertie
            Ruach, Catalina 34 mkII
            Salem, MA

            --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "gb7107" <craigvdp@...> wrote:

            Does anyone have any
            > suggestions on the Salem side for where I can park?
          • Mike Long
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2007
              Last July I left my car in the Village St. MHD lot for a week while I
              sailed to Nantucket. Who told you that you could not leave your car
              in that lot. I would tell the MHD police what you want to do and ask
              them directly if you may leave your car in the lot.

              Regards,

              MPL

              --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "gb7107" <craigvdp@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone, but especially the Salem area sailors:
              >
              > I am taking the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boat in Marblehead out
              for
              > a week's cruise (French Whine, Cal 33) and have just found out
              today
              > that the Village St lot on the marblehead side allows day but not
              > overnight parking...
              >
              > Given the recent discussins about Salem area moorings, I figured
              some
              > of you may be able to provide some advice... Does anyone have any
              > suggestions on the Salem side for where I can park? I know there
              is
              > a raised garage of sorts just at the bridge in Salem, where you can
              > grab the Salem-side "water taxi", but unsure if it allows overnight
              > parking. The day I parked there, it was free...
              >
              > Secondly, thanks all for the great discussion on Blynman Canal. My
              > itinerary is currently MHD - Newburyport - Portsmouth - Isles of
              > Shoals - Rockport, MA - MHD. Was debating whether or not the
              > canal/Annisquam was right for me or not, and it sounds like it is
              > probably the right choice (especially since the forecasted winds
              for
              > Saturday are fairly light, so if I must motor, would rather do so
              in
              > a canal than around Cape Ann.)
              >
              > I'll be sure to report back from my travels. Thanks for any
              parking
              > advice you can provide.
              >
              > Fair weather to all,
              > Craig della Penna
              > BHSC Member - 3rd yr

            • gb7107
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2007
                Thanks for the reply Mike

                The marblehead parking clerk told us we could not park there. We then
                double checked with the harbormaster, who informed us that we COULD,
                took our car info, and told us we would be fine and they would take
                care of it.

                If this changes when I get back to my car, I'll let everyone know.

                Warmly,
                Craig della Penna
                BHSC Gold + Member

                --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Long" <mikelong730@...>