Re: [MassBaySailors] Diesel fuel- where to buy?

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 11, 2007
      Hi Tim,

      I  hardly bother with Marina fuel-ups. I carry a 5 gallon Diesel jug, fill up at a reliable auto diesel outlet and carry the fuel to refill my voluminous 10 gallon fuel tank.

      On our trip, I also refilled in Scituate and it took a whopping 2.7 gallons after coming from P'town. Good thing the Scituate Harbor is mostly sailboats, so I guess the guy was used to the smaller fuel tanks.

      I had thought about bringing the 5 gallon jug (full) along for the ride, but for some cranky reason did not (bad skipper)! <smile>

      Bob

      At 11:43 PM 7/6/2007, you wrote:

      Thanks to all for my request for diesel fuel. I will keep Crystal Cove in mind for my next full fuel up. I needed a small amount of fuel to prime my Racor after it got filled 3/4 with water being pushed from the bottom of my tank as I fueled in East Boston last week. I didn't doubt there was a little water/ gunk at the bottom, but didn't realize it would show itself in this manner.

      : snip

      Tim Haibach
      S/V "Harmony"
      Boston, MA

    • Moore, Gregg
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11, 2007
        Tim-

        Re: Bob's suggestion, Me too. I hump the 7gallon tank out every once in a while to top up. Can't think of a good reason to go to a fuel dock for 5-10 gallons max. Been thinking about going 80/20 biodeisel too. All my friends do it in their cars... Boat US had an article in this months issue...

        Anyone have biodeisel experience want to chime in??

        -gregg

        S/V "Sabbatical"
        Boston (Winthrop)
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11, 2007
          It has been explained to me earlier this season that new additives, that may cause problems in our older marine diesel motors, have been added to auto diesel but NOT to marine diesel fuel YET.

          Simply put the new additives reduce the lubrication in the diesel-fuel that is needed by our marine diesels engines.  Eventually this change will come to marine diesel fuel too.

          So, although keeping a supply of MARINE diesel on our boats might be logical/practical you should fill them from a marine fuel dealer and NOT an auto gas station.

          Just the messenger.