Re: [MassBaySailors] First sail of the season. Better late than never!

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6 5:17 PM
      Nice Dave,
      It is amazing how many adventures people can get into with a small sailboat
      like that
      and just take off.

      Years ago I read a story of a kid who, during a summer, borrowed his
      girlfriends little daysailor in Florida, and decided to cross the Gulf
      stream. He spent a month there hanging out with the locals and American
      ex-patriots. This was before WWII. It was a neat story, of what you can do,
      if you have the soul for the adventure.

      The real catch of this story is that that kid, ofter coming back from that
      sail, decided to build his own sailboats.
      His name was Frank Butler.
      He is still building the Catalina Yachts
      Ahmet
      "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
      Winthrop Yach Club
      Winthrop MA
      www.sailnomad.com

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 9 12:34 PM
        Girard said the boat did a few 360's and put his back out.  Thankfully, it happened not far off Cape Ann and not in the middle of the Atlantic.

        He spent over a quater million on the boat.  Why it had trouble in moderate weather for offshoreNorth Atlantic is not for me to say.

        Actually, I think he rowed across the Atlantic once before.
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 9 4:07 PM
          I wuz wrong again....

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 9 5:20 PM
            You mean he didn't row across once before?  Maybe the guy is just nuts.  OK, anybody who wants to row across the Atlantic has to be a little nuts.

            I wuz wrong again....

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 9 5:40 PM
              Boy, do I ever agree with you on the nuts part.  I can think of a better way to spend 270,000.00 while poking around the boat yard.  But then again he didn't have to worry about the roller furler jamming   :-)    Terry

              Barry Needalman <b.needalman@...> wrote:
[...]

              It's here! Your new message!

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 11 10:49 AM
                Hello Phillip,

                When I bought my boat from a NH man (my son), the boat did not have a
                title. When I spoke with the "registry". I needed to have a copy of
                the old registration, the bits of "registration" decal from the boat;
                a "rubbing" of the serial number. Because I bought it from a close
                relative, I needed additional forms so I would not need to pay the
                sales tax. Plus a notarized copy of the Bill of Sale.

                Also, if you have a dinghy which is "capable" of mounting a motor, it
                has to be registered "as if" it had a motor.

                My Hull ID was a "mold mark", high up on the RH side of the transom
                under many years of paint. It also had an old decal over it,
                partially blocking the ID.

                For local taxes (wherever the boat is moored / or in a slip), I also
                had to provide the engine type, hp and serial number.

                Bob