Mystic Fuel near the end of the Charles Town Piers just b4 Tobin

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
      A great place to fuel up, both Gas & Diesel, is Mystic Fuel.  It's located a few hundred yards to port before reaching the Mystic Tobin bridge.

      It's good because they have a very large and well fendered dock and they pump large volumes so their fuel is not old stagnant or settled  ...  They offer SeaTow members a price discount.   Of course its not as convenient to Winthrop as Crystal Cove.

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
    • Dick Latour
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
        Crystal Cove Marina sells diesel.  They are just past WYC, almost next door.

        Dick Latour
        Dick.Latour@...
      • Dick Latour
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
          Crystal Cove's gas dock number used to be 617-539-0557

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
            they are supposed to monitor channel 10, but I usually do not get a reply. Although the girl pumping the fuels is nice and helpful
            Ahmet
            "Nomad"  1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
            Winthrop Yach Club
            Winthrop MA
            www.sailnomad.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
              Thanks to all for my request for diesel fuel. I will keep Crystal Cove in mind for my next full fuel up. I needed a small amount of fuel to prime my Racor after it got filled 3/4 with water being pushed from the bottom of my tank as I fueled in East Boston last week. I didn't doubt there was a little water/ gunk at the bottom, but didn't realize it would show itself in this manner.

              Next question- Does anyone know where I can buy a water pump that is made to attach to a hand held drill? I'd like to use a cordless drill on my mooring as power to this pump to suck the remaining water/gunk from my fuel tank while I have it open to inspect my sender. This way I can kill 2 jobs with one outing, lol.

              Tim Haibach
              S/V "Harmony"
              Boston, MA

            • Dick Latour
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                Tim,

                I would really be careful with that kind of pump and a gas tank.  They are inherently hot and if you pull up any gas with it, you could make headlines.

                That being said you should be able to get one at a hardware store, especially Lowe's or Home Depot.

                Dick Latour
                Dick.Latour@...

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                  I'd like to clarify the pump would be attached to a drill connected to a hose leading to the FWD most part of the fuel tank. The fuel tank is DIESEL, not gasoline. The hose would be approx 48" long before entering the pump. It would then collect into a spare fuel container.

                  I went to Home Depot and they looked at me like I was from another planet. I don't know of a Lowes near me but a search on their website didn't bring up anything either.

                  Tim

                • Gary Conley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 7, 2007
                    Hi Tim,

                    I have a drill pump and your free to borrow it.  I am at Boston Harbor Marina.
                    Gary

                    I'd like to clarify the pump would be attached to a drill connected to a hose leading to the FWD most part of the fuel tank. The fuel tank is DIESEL, not gasoline. The hose would be approx 48" long before entering the pump. It would then collect into a spare fuel container.

                    I went to Home Depot and they looked at me like I was from another planet. I don't know of a Lowes near me but a search on their website didn't bring up anything either.

                    Tim

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                  • Arnold Brown
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 7, 2007
                      Hey Tim;

                      Regarding the drill operated pump:
                      http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_11948_11948
                      They list for about $15.

                      Thanks for the web tips from yesterday. I ended up buying three new
                      blocks & a new main sheet from Defender. It was a typical 1AM "I
                      really shouldn't be doing this" impulse buy. Not smart, but felt
                      great doing it. Now it's all over but the shipping.

                      Also regarding the drill pump method,I've used them before & can't say
                      I'm a fan. You may do better with a cheap "drum pump used for pumping
                      out 55 gallon drums. The drop tube can be fitted with an extension
                      hose. Also it'd be "Tim powered" so no fear of batteries on the
                      cordless drill dying.
                      http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_210901_210901
                      Drill pumps work best when they're gravity fed. I'm not sure they're
                      very good when they have to self-prime & lift fluid. The drum pump is
                      cheaper too.

                      Hope this helps.

                      AFB
                    • Joseph Hadzima
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                        Is that drill pump certified to handle oil, gas and other
                        fluids, or is it only designed for water?

                        HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

                        "Life is not tried, it is merely survived
                        If you're standing outside the fire"
                        - Jenny Yates & Garth Brooks
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 11, 2007
                          Hi Tim,

                          I  hardly bother with Marina fuel-ups. I carry a 5 gallon Diesel jug, fill up at a reliable auto diesel outlet and carry the fuel to refill my voluminous 10 gallon fuel tank.

                          On our trip, I also refilled in Scituate and it took a whopping 2.7 gallons after coming from P'town. Good thing the Scituate Harbor is mostly sailboats, so I guess the guy was used to the smaller fuel tanks.

                          I had thought about bringing the 5 gallon jug (full) along for the ride, but for some cranky reason did not (bad skipper)! <smile>

                          Bob

                          At 11:43 PM 7/6/2007, you wrote:

                          Thanks to all for my request for diesel fuel. I will keep Crystal Cove in mind for my next full fuel up. I needed a small amount of fuel to prime my Racor after it got filled 3/4 with water being pushed from the bottom of my tank as I fueled in East Boston last week. I didn't doubt there was a little water/ gunk at the bottom, but didn't realize it would show itself in this manner.

                          : snip

                          Tim Haibach
                          S/V "Harmony"
                          Boston, MA

                        • Moore, Gregg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 11, 2007
                            Tim-

                            Re: Bob's suggestion, Me too. I hump the 7gallon tank out every once in a while to top up. Can't think of a good reason to go to a fuel dock for 5-10 gallons max. Been thinking about going 80/20 biodeisel too. All my friends do it in their cars... Boat US had an article in this months issue...

                            Anyone have biodeisel experience want to chime in??

                            -gregg

                            S/V "Sabbatical"
                            Boston (Winthrop)
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 11, 2007
                              It has been explained to me earlier this season that new additives, that may cause problems in our older marine diesel motors, have been added to auto diesel but NOT to marine diesel fuel YET.

                              Simply put the new additives reduce the lubrication in the diesel-fuel that is needed by our marine diesels engines.  Eventually this change will come to marine diesel fuel too.

                              So, although keeping a supply of MARINE diesel on our boats might be logical/practical you should fill them from a marine fuel dealer and NOT an auto gas station.

                              Just the messenger.