Re: [MassBaySailors] Missing title, no registration... suggestions?

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
      Philip ,

      You should be able to find the Hull-ID.  It is located on the transom, far starboard side, high up, just under the rub-rail.  It might be hard to see.  You should use a ladder to get up as close to it as you can,  you might need to pencil trace/shadow the number onto a piece of paper.

      Check the boat thoroughly (the Nav. station etc.) for any original owners’ manuals, bills-of-sale, etc. trying to find anything that exists (financing/loan papers etc.)  You may have to push the PO a bit more aggressively for them to provide you with any traceable documentation.  They certainly have some obligation in providing you as much info as you need to get your new boat registered or Documented.  Many sailboat owners (> 25ft) prefer federally documenting a boat over registering it.  Documenting a boat is a “federal” registration like process and is not “state” specific.  It is also less expensive, an up front fee of like $80 and then free renewal each year.

      Do a google search on “USCG yacht documentation process” …

      Once you find the hull-number.  I would do as much running around as you possibly can to locate anything and everything about the boat and its POs (Previous Owners) you can.  Don’t rely on any govt. agency to get you the info you need quickly, especially in summer.

      With the hull-# you can also Contact the Original Manufacturer, Catalina Yachts, and ask if they maintain any (original) owner info.  www.CatalinaYachts.com

      Locally, in Hingham Mass. , there is New England ’s top Catalina Dealer , “Eastern Yachts”.  They might be able to assist you in ways of producing documents.  They quite possibly might have been the original selling dealer.

      Also, if your boat was ever documented the USGC may have some stored data on her.

      They have a site that you can search a vessel by “name” or “document number” …

      Safely assume you’ll run into some road blocks or dead ends and trying thinking ahead so you can expedite the process quickly. Again, call a dealer, Eastern or another Catalina Dealer in NH and ask them how they do a title and/or lien search on a vessel.

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
    • Barry Needalman

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
          What year is your boat ?
          It is very possible that you don't have a valid hull ID number.
          If that is the case, you have to call the coast guard and make an
          appointment, or bring the boat to one of the scheduled inspection places.
          They used to do it on a regular basis (bi-weekly? ) in hewitts cove.
          You can get all that information from the coast guard or their web site.
          I don't know if they do it still in Hewitts cove.
          Sometimes it takse days for the coast guard to respond when you call them
          for a hull id number.

          As far as title is concerned, Massachusetts requires a boat to have a title,
          but other states do not.
          Does your boat have a registration number ? That would be the easiest way to
          find the title.
          Nonetheless, if it is a Massachusetts boat, you should have obtained the
          title, just like on a car, before you bought the boat.
          I presume you can have it titles, just like if you built your own boat, or
          brought one from out-of-state
          Ahmet
          www.sailnomad.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
            I once bought a boat that was older than the title law, and worse, the previous owner registered it w/ the wrong numbers. The Environmental Police came down and read what was there and gave me the two additional digits (XX which was easy to scratch in the hull) that I needed to register the boat. It was in Scituate and during the winter, so time wasn't a problem. Before a certain date, boats didn't have a hull number in the stern, but was elsewhere. Check w/ the manufacturer.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
              You saw that the boat was insured . Get the insurance policy. Maybe
              the numbers are on the policy . The hull ID of my boat is on my
              policy.

              Also insurers typically will not insure boats without a survey . The
              survey should contain the Hull ID and the Documentation number
              ( USCG)or state registration number.

              Needless to say if you the previous owner can not prove ownership you
              can not prove ownership.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007

                Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 79. West wind between 9 and 14 mph.

                Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. West wind between 8 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

                Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 85. West wind between 8 and 14 mph.

                Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 73.

                Saturday, Jul 7
                Forecast:Partly sunny with the chance for an afternoon shower
                High temperature:80° F, 26° C
                Low temperature:0° F, 0° C
                Surf temperature:61 F
                Winds:W at 12-22 knots
                Wave heights:3-5 Ft
                Tanning index: Explain 6 of 10

                SAT
                SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

                SAT NIGHT
                SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

                SUN
                SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT LATE. WAVES 1 FOOT OR
                LESS...THEN AROUND 2 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

                SUN NIGHT
                SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT UNTIL JUST
                AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES AROUND 2 FT IN THE EVENING...THEN 1 FOOT OR
                LESS.

                SailFlow Meteorologist Forecast:   Today's Daily Discussion | Extended Discussion
                SailFlow Model Forecast: 7/06 | 7/07 | 7/08 | 7/09 | 7/10 | 7/11 | 7/12

                SailFlow Model Forecast
                Latest model data for Deer Island. Friday, July 6, 2007. (Lat=42.34, Lon= -71.0)
                Powered by latest NOAA ETA 12KM and NOAA GFS 40KM models . This data has not been reviewed by a live meteorologist and should be taken as a general indication of ambient conditions.
                DateFriday, July 6
                Time12a2a4a6a8a10a12p2p4p6p8p10p
                Wind speed (knots)ObsObsObsObsObs6444688
                Wind direction     WNWNWWNWWNWWNWWW
                Temperature (F)ObsObsObsObsObs71747573706967
                Cloud Cover (%)ObsObsObsObsObs863646810010033
                Rain (in/2h)ObsObsObsObsObs0.00.00.00.00.00.00.0
                Vis. (km)     INFINFINF1319INFINF
                DateSaturday, July 7
                Time12a2a4a6a8a10a12p2p4p6p8p10p
                Wind speed (knots)897788121416151410
                Wind directionWSWWWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSW
                Temperature (F)646361636569737575737269
                Cloud Cover (%)00664214466100658210033
                Rain (in/2h)0.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.0
                Vis. (km)INFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINF
                DateSunday, July 8
                Time12a2a4a6a8a10a12p2p4p6p8p10p
                Wind speed (knots)8810141616171818171714
                Wind directionWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSSWSW
                Temperature (F)656565707276818281787774
                Cloud Cover (%)661001003300001000
                Rain (in/2h)0.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.0
                Vis. (km)INFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINF

                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
              • ikebiker
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                  Without knowing the details, I can recount my experience with a 1987 C-
                  22 I bought from someone in NH. NH does not have titles (at least for
                  this size and type) so the most recent owner registration was
                  sufficient. It only had a hull number which did not match the
                  manufacturers serial number (although some of the numbers did match
                  up). I needed to do a pencil tracing of this data-plate to get it
                  registered. It was some time after 1987 when they standardized a
                  format for HIN's, especially for smaller boats. I hope this helps :)

                  Keith
                • Larry Robertie
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Philip,

                    A little more on the need to trace the number. Even on my 1986 the
                    hull number was very faint - and it looked like Catalina had scratched
                    it in using a jack knife (no exaggeration). It may also be hard to
                    find if the topsides have been painted or if the scratched in letters
                    have been filled in over the years with wax.

                    Once you do have the number this posting on the Catalina 34 web site
                    may be helpful in understanding what it means (so you can square up
                    with what the seller is telling you)http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-
                    hin.html

                    Larry Robertie
                    Ruach
                    Salem, MA
                    Catalina 34
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                      Interesting race... singlehanded down, doublehanded back !
                      Catalina 36 MK I took first place in class !
                      Freedom cat Ketch lost one of it's unstayed masts ....
                      Ahmet
                      "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                      Winthrop Yach Club
                      Winthrop MA
                      www.sailnomad.com

                      Catalina 36 wins class in Bermuda 1-2 this year !
                      Even more amazingly was 2nd overall with corrected time !! Congratulations
                      David Sherman skipper of Palangi ! The only boat with a better corrected
                      time was Gryphon Solo on an Open 50 that has a rating of -69 (who in fact
                      broke the record for single handed time to Bermuda in this race with a time
                      of 62 hrs 37 mins)

                      http://bermuda1-2.org/2007/2007B1-2CombinedResults.htm

                      Some of you might not know what the Bermuda 1-2 race is. Its held every
                      other year and this year had the most entrants. Its a grueling 635-mile
                      single-handed race to St. George's, Bermuda fighting the gulf stream and
                      then another 635-mile double-handed race back to Newport RI. Often
                      experience gained from the Bermuda One-Two has led some of its alumni to
                      embark on longer single-handed voyages, such as the Single-handed
                      Trans-Atlantic Race (STAR), the Europe Two-STAR, and the BOC, Round Alone
                      single-handed circumnavigational races.

                      Go here to read the more about the history of the Bermuda 1-2

                      http://bermuda1-2.org/History/B12_History.htm
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007

                        By Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff
                        Drifting today 50 miles off Provincetown , the $270,000 rowboat with its solar panels, satellite phone, MP3 player, and water purification machine may eventually wash up on the coast of France .
                        But Charlie Girard , 26, the Frenchman who designed the vessel and hoped to use it to break a world record, won’t be along for the ride.
                        "I'm too scared to try another time," Girard said today in a telephone interview from Orleans . "I think it’s my last time for this boat."
                        The Coast Guard released video of its rescue of Girard , who was plucked out of the Atlantic Ocean Thursday night by a helicopter and a rescue swimmer. To watch the video, click here. Girard had been chronicling his journey on his website, which shows where he called it quits -- 3,270 miles short of his goal of Tranche-sur-Mer.
                        "Today we will try to locate the boat and see if it's possible to save the boat," said Girard , who plans to fly back to France next week.
                        After being battered by 5-to 8-foot seas and 15-knot winds, Girard used his satellite phone to call a friend in Orleans for help. The friend notified the Coast Guard that Girard 's 23-foot ship "had taken seven or eight rolls and was ready to come off."
                        "He was thrown around quite a bit and said he slammed into the side of the boat and that his lower back was bothering him," Petty Officer First Class John Hughes, the medical corpsman on the rescue mission, said in a statement.
                        Girard was trying to beat the record for a solo rowboat crossing of the North Atlantic , which was set in 2004 and took 62 days, 19 hours, and 48 minutes. The electrical engineer had spent three years preparing for the voyage.
                        Girard first set out from Orleans on June 30 but returned hours later when his boat sprang a leak. He launched a second time Wednesday and had made it 50 miles off Provincetown Thursday night when he called for help.
                        Girard 's friend, Richard Williams , contacted that the Coast Guard at 7:20 p.m. A Jayhawk helicopter launched an hour later, and Girard had been rescued by 9 p.m. His boat was left to drift.

                        "When you are out at sea, it's a very unpredictable place," Petty Officer Luke Pinneo said today. "As a result, it can be very dangerous."

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                          BATTERED by 15 knot winds ????????   5 to 8 ft seas ????

                          What did this guy expect in the Atlantic ?

                          I will be kind and not put down what I think this guy is !

                          He should have tried to row across Boston Harbor first !

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                            My thoughts exactly ...

                            BATTERED by 15 knot winds ????????   5 to 8 ft seas ????

                            What did this guy expect in the Atlantic ?

                            I will be kind and not put down what I think this guy is !

                            He should have tried to row across Boston Harbor first !

                            Ahmet
                            "Nomad"  1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                            Winthrop Yach Club
                            Winthrop MA
                            www.sailnomad. com
                            .

                            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                              Actually, I think he rowed across the Atlantic once before.

[...]

                            • Dave Belfer-Shevett
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                I know it's not in the scale of the cruisers...

                                But we finally hauled out the Hunter 140 up here on Horn Pond (On the
                                Maine / New Hampshire border, near Sanforde, ME) and had an unusual
                                early evening run around the lake. Normally winds die down at 5pm or
                                so, but occasioanlly we get early evening breezes that are oddly steady
                                and predictable.

                                The 140 had sat on its bunks for half the season waiting for prep-time.
                                Today my brother in law and I hauled out all the rigging and gear, got
                                everything assembled, paused for lunch, then went for a nice hour long
                                run on the lake.

                                All hardware works perfectly. Yay!

                                Until I have more time and money to put into a larger boat and more
                                'permanent' accoutrements, I'm making the best of owning and sailing a
                                boat that I outweigh by 15lbs (less than last year! :)

                                Thought folks on MassBaySailors would appreciate.

                                Here is the 140 on it's mooring a couple years ago, as shot from the
                                dock in front of our house.

                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/planet-geek/179060299/in/photostream/
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                  Nice Dave,
                                  It is amazing how many adventures people can get into with a small sailboat
                                  like that
                                  and just take off.

                                  Years ago I read a story of a kid who, during a summer, borrowed his
                                  girlfriends little daysailor in Florida, and decided to cross the Gulf
                                  stream. He spent a month there hanging out with the locals and American
                                  ex-patriots. This was before WWII. It was a neat story, of what you can do,
                                  if you have the soul for the adventure.

                                  The real catch of this story is that that kid, ofter coming back from that
                                  sail, decided to build his own sailboats.
                                  His name was Frank Butler.
                                  He is still building the Catalina Yachts
                                  Ahmet
                                  "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                                  Winthrop Yach Club
                                  Winthrop MA
                                  www.sailnomad.com

                                  >I know it's not in the scale of the cruisers...
                                  >
                                  > But we finally hauled out the Hunter 140 up here on Horn Pond (On the
                                  > Maine / New Hampshire border, near Sanforde, ME) and had an unusual
                                  > early evening run around the lake. Normally winds die down at 5pm or
                                  > so, but occasioanlly we get early evening breezes that are oddly steady
                                  > and predictable.
                                  >
                                  > The 140 had sat on its bunks for half the season waiting for prep-time.
                                  > Today my brother in law and I hauled out all the rigging and gear, got
                                  > everything assembled, paused for lunch, then went for a nice hour long
                                  > run on the lake.
                                  >
                                  > All hardware works perfectly. Yay!
                                  >
                                  > Until I have more time and money to put into a larger boat and more
                                  > 'permanent' accoutrements, I'm making the best of owning and sailing a
                                  > boat that I outweigh by 15lbs (less than last year! :)
                                  >
                                  > Thought folks on MassBaySailors would appreciate.
                                  >
                                  > Here is the 140 on it's mooring a couple years ago, as shot from the
                                  > dock in front of our house.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/planet-geek/179060299/in/photostream/
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Barry Needalman
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                    Girard said the boat did a few 360's and put his back out.  Thankfully, it happened not far off Cape Ann and not in the middle of the Atlantic.

                                    He spent over a quater million on the boat.  Why it had trouble in moderate weather for offshoreNorth Atlantic is not for me to say.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                      I wuz wrong again....

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                        You mean he didn't row across once before?  Maybe the guy is just nuts.  OK, anybody who wants to row across the Atlantic has to be a little nuts.

                                        I wuz wrong again....

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                          Boy, do I ever agree with you on the nuts part.  I can think of a better way to spend 270,000.00 while poking around the boat yard.  But then again he didn't have to worry about the roller furler jamming   :-)    Terry

                                          Barry Needalman <b.needalman@...> wrote:
[...]

                                          It's here! Your new message!

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 11, 2007
                                            Hello Phillip,

                                            When I bought my boat from a NH man (my son), the boat did not have a
                                            title. When I spoke with the "registry". I needed to have a copy of
                                            the old registration, the bits of "registration" decal from the boat;
                                            a "rubbing" of the serial number. Because I bought it from a close
                                            relative, I needed additional forms so I would not need to pay the
                                            sales tax. Plus a notarized copy of the Bill of Sale.

                                            Also, if you have a dinghy which is "capable" of mounting a motor, it
                                            has to be registered "as if" it had a motor.

                                            My Hull ID was a "mold mark", high up on the RH side of the transom
                                            under many years of paint. It also had an old decal over it,
                                            partially blocking the ID.

                                            For local taxes (wherever the boat is moored / or in a slip), I also
                                            had to provide the engine type, hp and serial number.

                                            Bob