Missing title, no registration... suggestions?

  • Phillip
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hi all...
      Sorry to bother you all with this, but I didn't really know who else
      to ask. I went to register the boat today, but the registry stated
      that since I do not have the title (the owner says the boat does not
      have a title), and the boat never appears to have been registered in
      Mass, that the boat cannot legally be registered here. It seems that
      maybe the previous owner operated the boat without registration
      (which I find strange, since I saw that he had it insured, and kept
      at Hewits Cove Marina - so I presume it was all legitamite).
      The registry noted that if he cannot produce a title, or
      registration, he would need to put that in writing, and notarize it,
      for me to give to the registry. Hope that will work.

      The other question I had was this - the hull ID# I have for the boat
      does not seem to be valid (it is what was on the bill of sale, and
      the insurance paperwork). The registry mentioned that I should look
      on the starboard side of the transom for the original hull ID#, but
      I didn't spot it when I looked over the boat (I will try to find it
      again) - but if I don't find it, I would need to have the
      Environmental Police inspect the boat. Any idea how long this takes?
      The boat is on the hard in NH now, so I would need to put in a yard
      that is within Mass, but near NH, to have the Police inspect it.
      Any suggestions??? Anyone else go through this??

      Thanks
      Phillip
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
        Philip ,

        You should be able to find the Hull-ID.  It is located on the transom, far starboard side, high up, just under the rub-rail.  It might be hard to see.  You should use a ladder to get up as close to it as you can,  you might need to pencil trace/shadow the number onto a piece of paper.

        Check the boat thoroughly (the Nav. station etc.) for any original owners’ manuals, bills-of-sale, etc. trying to find anything that exists (financing/loan papers etc.)  You may have to push the PO a bit more aggressively for them to provide you with any traceable documentation.  They certainly have some obligation in providing you as much info as you need to get your new boat registered or Documented.  Many sailboat owners (> 25ft) prefer federally documenting a boat over registering it.  Documenting a boat is a “federal” registration like process and is not “state” specific.  It is also less expensive, an up front fee of like $80 and then free renewal each year.

        Do a google search on “USCG yacht documentation process” …

        Once you find the hull-number.  I would do as much running around as you possibly can to locate anything and everything about the boat and its POs (Previous Owners) you can.  Don’t rely on any govt. agency to get you the info you need quickly, especially in summer.

        With the hull-# you can also Contact the Original Manufacturer, Catalina Yachts, and ask if they maintain any (original) owner info.  www.CatalinaYachts.com

        Locally, in Hingham Mass. , there is New England ’s top Catalina Dealer , “Eastern Yachts”.  They might be able to assist you in ways of producing documents.  They quite possibly might have been the original selling dealer.

        Also, if your boat was ever documented the USGC may have some stored data on her.

        They have a site that you can search a vessel by “name” or “document number” …

        Safely assume you’ll run into some road blocks or dead ends and trying thinking ahead so you can expedite the process quickly. Again, call a dealer, Eastern or another Catalina Dealer in NH and ask them how they do a title and/or lien search on a vessel.

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      • Barry Needalman

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
            What year is your boat ?
            It is very possible that you don't have a valid hull ID number.
            If that is the case, you have to call the coast guard and make an
            appointment, or bring the boat to one of the scheduled inspection places.
            They used to do it on a regular basis (bi-weekly? ) in hewitts cove.
            You can get all that information from the coast guard or their web site.
            I don't know if they do it still in Hewitts cove.
            Sometimes it takse days for the coast guard to respond when you call them
            for a hull id number.

            As far as title is concerned, Massachusetts requires a boat to have a title,
            but other states do not.
            Does your boat have a registration number ? That would be the easiest way to
            find the title.
            Nonetheless, if it is a Massachusetts boat, you should have obtained the
            title, just like on a car, before you bought the boat.
            I presume you can have it titles, just like if you built your own boat, or
            brought one from out-of-state
            Ahmet
            www.sailnomad.com

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
              I once bought a boat that was older than the title law, and worse, the previous owner registered it w/ the wrong numbers. The Environmental Police came down and read what was there and gave me the two additional digits (XX which was easy to scratch in the hull) that I needed to register the boat. It was in Scituate and during the winter, so time wasn't a problem. Before a certain date, boats didn't have a hull number in the stern, but was elsewhere. Check w/ the manufacturer.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
                You saw that the boat was insured . Get the insurance policy. Maybe
                the numbers are on the policy . The hull ID of my boat is on my
                policy.

                Also insurers typically will not insure boats without a survey . The
                survey should contain the Hull ID and the Documentation number
                ( USCG)or state registration number.

                Needless to say if you the previous owner can not prove ownership you
                can not prove ownership.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007

                  Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 79. West wind between 9 and 14 mph.

                  Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. West wind between 8 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

                  Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 85. West wind between 8 and 14 mph.

                  Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 73.

                  Saturday, Jul 7
                  Forecast:Partly sunny with the chance for an afternoon shower
                  High temperature:80° F, 26° C
                  Low temperature:0° F, 0° C
                  Surf temperature:61 F
                  Winds:W at 12-22 knots
                  Wave heights:3-5 Ft
                  Tanning index: Explain 6 of 10

                  SAT
                  SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

                  SAT NIGHT
                  SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

                  SUN
                  SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT LATE. WAVES 1 FOOT OR
                  LESS...THEN AROUND 2 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

                  SUN NIGHT
                  SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT UNTIL JUST
                  AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES AROUND 2 FT IN THE EVENING...THEN 1 FOOT OR
                  LESS.

                  SailFlow Meteorologist Forecast:   Today's Daily Discussion | Extended Discussion
                  SailFlow Model Forecast: 7/06 | 7/07 | 7/08 | 7/09 | 7/10 | 7/11 | 7/12

                  SailFlow Model Forecast
                  Latest model data for Deer Island. Friday, July 6, 2007. (Lat=42.34, Lon= -71.0)
                  Powered by latest NOAA ETA 12KM and NOAA GFS 40KM models . This data has not been reviewed by a live meteorologist and should be taken as a general indication of ambient conditions.
                  DateFriday, July 6
                  Time12a2a4a6a8a10a12p2p4p6p8p10p
                  Wind speed (knots)ObsObsObsObsObs6444688
                  Wind direction     WNWNWWNWWNWWNWWW
                  Temperature (F)ObsObsObsObsObs71747573706967
                  Cloud Cover (%)ObsObsObsObsObs863646810010033
                  Rain (in/2h)ObsObsObsObsObs0.00.00.00.00.00.00.0
                  Vis. (km)     INFINFINF1319INFINF
                  DateSaturday, July 7
                  Time12a2a4a6a8a10a12p2p4p6p8p10p
                  Wind speed (knots)897788121416151410
                  Wind directionWSWWWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSWWSW
                  Temperature (F)646361636569737575737269
                  Cloud Cover (%)00664214466100658210033
                  Rain (in/2h)0.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.0
                  Vis. (km)INFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINF
                  DateSunday, July 8
                  Time12a2a4a6a8a10a12p2p4p6p8p10p
                  Wind speed (knots)8810141616171818171714
                  Wind directionWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSSWSW
                  Temperature (F)656565707276818281787774
                  Cloud Cover (%)661001003300001000
                  Rain (in/2h)0.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.0
                  Vis. (km)INFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINFINF

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                • ikebiker
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Without knowing the details, I can recount my experience with a 1987 C-
                    22 I bought from someone in NH. NH does not have titles (at least for
                    this size and type) so the most recent owner registration was
                    sufficient. It only had a hull number which did not match the
                    manufacturers serial number (although some of the numbers did match
                    up). I needed to do a pencil tracing of this data-plate to get it
                    registered. It was some time after 1987 when they standardized a
                    format for HIN's, especially for smaller boats. I hope this helps :)

                    Keith
                  • Larry Robertie
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                      Philip,

                      A little more on the need to trace the number. Even on my 1986 the
                      hull number was very faint - and it looked like Catalina had scratched
                      it in using a jack knife (no exaggeration). It may also be hard to
                      find if the topsides have been painted or if the scratched in letters
                      have been filled in over the years with wax.

                      Once you do have the number this posting on the Catalina 34 web site
                      may be helpful in understanding what it means (so you can square up
                      with what the seller is telling you)http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-
                      hin.html

                      Larry Robertie
                      Ruach
                      Salem, MA
                      Catalina 34
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                        Interesting race... singlehanded down, doublehanded back !
                        Catalina 36 MK I took first place in class !
                        Freedom cat Ketch lost one of it's unstayed masts ....
                        Ahmet
                        "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                        Winthrop Yach Club
                        Winthrop MA
                        www.sailnomad.com

                        Catalina 36 wins class in Bermuda 1-2 this year !
                        Even more amazingly was 2nd overall with corrected time !! Congratulations
                        David Sherman skipper of Palangi ! The only boat with a better corrected
                        time was Gryphon Solo on an Open 50 that has a rating of -69 (who in fact
                        broke the record for single handed time to Bermuda in this race with a time
                        of 62 hrs 37 mins)

                        http://bermuda1-2.org/2007/2007B1-2CombinedResults.htm

                        Some of you might not know what the Bermuda 1-2 race is. Its held every
                        other year and this year had the most entrants. Its a grueling 635-mile
                        single-handed race to St. George's, Bermuda fighting the gulf stream and
                        then another 635-mile double-handed race back to Newport RI. Often
                        experience gained from the Bermuda One-Two has led some of its alumni to
                        embark on longer single-handed voyages, such as the Single-handed
                        Trans-Atlantic Race (STAR), the Europe Two-STAR, and the BOC, Round Alone
                        single-handed circumnavigational races.

                        Go here to read the more about the history of the Bermuda 1-2

                        http://bermuda1-2.org/History/B12_History.htm
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007

                          By Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff
                          Drifting today 50 miles off Provincetown , the $270,000 rowboat with its solar panels, satellite phone, MP3 player, and water purification machine may eventually wash up on the coast of France .
                          But Charlie Girard , 26, the Frenchman who designed the vessel and hoped to use it to break a world record, won’t be along for the ride.
                          "I'm too scared to try another time," Girard said today in a telephone interview from Orleans . "I think it’s my last time for this boat."
                          The Coast Guard released video of its rescue of Girard , who was plucked out of the Atlantic Ocean Thursday night by a helicopter and a rescue swimmer. To watch the video, click here. Girard had been chronicling his journey on his website, which shows where he called it quits -- 3,270 miles short of his goal of Tranche-sur-Mer.
                          "Today we will try to locate the boat and see if it's possible to save the boat," said Girard , who plans to fly back to France next week.
                          After being battered by 5-to 8-foot seas and 15-knot winds, Girard used his satellite phone to call a friend in Orleans for help. The friend notified the Coast Guard that Girard 's 23-foot ship "had taken seven or eight rolls and was ready to come off."
                          "He was thrown around quite a bit and said he slammed into the side of the boat and that his lower back was bothering him," Petty Officer First Class John Hughes, the medical corpsman on the rescue mission, said in a statement.
                          Girard was trying to beat the record for a solo rowboat crossing of the North Atlantic , which was set in 2004 and took 62 days, 19 hours, and 48 minutes. The electrical engineer had spent three years preparing for the voyage.
                          Girard first set out from Orleans on June 30 but returned hours later when his boat sprang a leak. He launched a second time Wednesday and had made it 50 miles off Provincetown Thursday night when he called for help.
                          Girard 's friend, Richard Williams , contacted that the Coast Guard at 7:20 p.m. A Jayhawk helicopter launched an hour later, and Girard had been rescued by 9 p.m. His boat was left to drift.

                          "When you are out at sea, it's a very unpredictable place," Petty Officer Luke Pinneo said today. "As a result, it can be very dangerous."

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                            BATTERED by 15 knot winds ????????   5 to 8 ft seas ????

                            What did this guy expect in the Atlantic ?

                            I will be kind and not put down what I think this guy is !

                            He should have tried to row across Boston Harbor first !

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                              My thoughts exactly ...

                              BATTERED by 15 knot winds ????????   5 to 8 ft seas ????

                              What did this guy expect in the Atlantic ?

                              I will be kind and not put down what I think this guy is !

                              He should have tried to row across Boston Harbor first !

                              Ahmet
                              "Nomad"  1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                              Winthrop Yach Club
                              Winthrop MA
                              www.sailnomad. com
                              .

                              Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                Actually, I think he rowed across the Atlantic once before.

[...]

                              • Dave Belfer-Shevett
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                  I know it's not in the scale of the cruisers...

                                  But we finally hauled out the Hunter 140 up here on Horn Pond (On the
                                  Maine / New Hampshire border, near Sanforde, ME) and had an unusual
                                  early evening run around the lake. Normally winds die down at 5pm or
                                  so, but occasioanlly we get early evening breezes that are oddly steady
                                  and predictable.

                                  The 140 had sat on its bunks for half the season waiting for prep-time.
                                  Today my brother in law and I hauled out all the rigging and gear, got
                                  everything assembled, paused for lunch, then went for a nice hour long
                                  run on the lake.

                                  All hardware works perfectly. Yay!

                                  Until I have more time and money to put into a larger boat and more
                                  'permanent' accoutrements, I'm making the best of owning and sailing a
                                  boat that I outweigh by 15lbs (less than last year! :)

                                  Thought folks on MassBaySailors would appreciate.

                                  Here is the 140 on it's mooring a couple years ago, as shot from the
                                  dock in front of our house.

                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/planet-geek/179060299/in/photostream/
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                                    Nice Dave,
                                    It is amazing how many adventures people can get into with a small sailboat
                                    like that
                                    and just take off.

                                    Years ago I read a story of a kid who, during a summer, borrowed his
                                    girlfriends little daysailor in Florida, and decided to cross the Gulf
                                    stream. He spent a month there hanging out with the locals and American
                                    ex-patriots. This was before WWII. It was a neat story, of what you can do,
                                    if you have the soul for the adventure.

                                    The real catch of this story is that that kid, ofter coming back from that
                                    sail, decided to build his own sailboats.
                                    His name was Frank Butler.
                                    He is still building the Catalina Yachts
                                    Ahmet
                                    "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                                    Winthrop Yach Club
                                    Winthrop MA
                                    www.sailnomad.com

                                    >I know it's not in the scale of the cruisers...
                                    >
                                    > But we finally hauled out the Hunter 140 up here on Horn Pond (On the
                                    > Maine / New Hampshire border, near Sanforde, ME) and had an unusual
                                    > early evening run around the lake. Normally winds die down at 5pm or
                                    > so, but occasioanlly we get early evening breezes that are oddly steady
                                    > and predictable.
                                    >
                                    > The 140 had sat on its bunks for half the season waiting for prep-time.
                                    > Today my brother in law and I hauled out all the rigging and gear, got
                                    > everything assembled, paused for lunch, then went for a nice hour long
                                    > run on the lake.
                                    >
                                    > All hardware works perfectly. Yay!
                                    >
                                    > Until I have more time and money to put into a larger boat and more
                                    > 'permanent' accoutrements, I'm making the best of owning and sailing a
                                    > boat that I outweigh by 15lbs (less than last year! :)
                                    >
                                    > Thought folks on MassBaySailors would appreciate.
                                    >
                                    > Here is the 140 on it's mooring a couple years ago, as shot from the
                                    > dock in front of our house.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/planet-geek/179060299/in/photostream/
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Barry Needalman
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                      Girard said the boat did a few 360's and put his back out.  Thankfully, it happened not far off Cape Ann and not in the middle of the Atlantic.

                                      He spent over a quater million on the boat.  Why it had trouble in moderate weather for offshoreNorth Atlantic is not for me to say.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                        I wuz wrong again....

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                          You mean he didn't row across once before?  Maybe the guy is just nuts.  OK, anybody who wants to row across the Atlantic has to be a little nuts.

                                          I wuz wrong again....

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 9, 2007
                                            Boy, do I ever agree with you on the nuts part.  I can think of a better way to spend 270,000.00 while poking around the boat yard.  But then again he didn't have to worry about the roller furler jamming   :-)    Terry

                                            Barry Needalman <b.needalman@...> wrote:
[...]

                                            It's here! Your new message!

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 11, 2007
                                              Hello Phillip,

                                              When I bought my boat from a NH man (my son), the boat did not have a
                                              title. When I spoke with the "registry". I needed to have a copy of
                                              the old registration, the bits of "registration" decal from the boat;
                                              a "rubbing" of the serial number. Because I bought it from a close
                                              relative, I needed additional forms so I would not need to pay the
                                              sales tax. Plus a notarized copy of the Bill of Sale.

                                              Also, if you have a dinghy which is "capable" of mounting a motor, it
                                              has to be registered "as if" it had a motor.

                                              My Hull ID was a "mold mark", high up on the RH side of the transom
                                              under many years of paint. It also had an old decal over it,
                                              partially blocking the ID.

                                              For local taxes (wherever the boat is moored / or in a slip), I also
                                              had to provide the engine type, hp and serial number.

                                              Bob