Re: Bought my first boat today! Catalina 27 with diesel...

  • Larry Robertie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
      Phillip,

      First congratulations, the C27 is a nice boat. I had one for 6 years
      until this past november when I upgraded to a C34.

      There are a couple of resources that will be valuable for you. The
      first is a great parts source at - http://www.catalinadirect.com/

      Also, there is Seaward, the folks that made the original power
      panels. There web site kinda sucks but you can call them at (562)699-
      7997 and they will help you out.

      Then there is the C27 Association. There web site at
      http://www.catalina27.org/ has a list of necessary upgrades,
      http://www.catalina27.org/public_pages/used_boat_notebook_pg2.htm .
      They also sponsore a very active list serv that is extreamly
      helpfull. Definately join that email list.

      As for your specific questions -

      > 1) Replace Spreader Brackets

      Most definately

      > 2) Step the Mast and hook up wiring (while the mast is down - any
      > electronics I should add? New VHF arial maybe? GPS antenna (or is it
      > better to mout GPS low in the boat?), maybe Radar?

      I had a Raytheon GPS Chartplotter on mine and had installed the
      antenna just forward of the mast, on the deck. It worked fin unless
      someone sat on it :)

      > 3) The icebox and sink drain do not have a seacock on the outlet,
      > but a regular water valve (gate valve I think) - should I change
      > this? Is it urgent?

      The ice box is useless, and on a heal water will come into it if
      the cock is open. I sealed it off, used it for dry storage and
      carried a cooler. If you are going to be on a slip you might also
      get a dorm fridge. Nothing like having a cold beer waiting for you
      when you get to the boat!

      The sink should have a real seacock, change that out.

      > 4) The diesel fuel tank is loose - the fiberglass matting that holds
      > it in place is loose, and the tank is essentially loose to slide
      > around. Any advice on this?

      I had the same problem. My mechanic took care of it with a tube
      of 5200

      > 5) The bow pulpit is bent - should I try to unbend it, or do I need
      > to buy a new one?

      That would depend on how bad it is bent, and what your
      tollerance for ugly is.

      > I paid just $2,000 for her - just need to haul her to water (20
      > miles) and step the mast.

      Sweet, you will be enjoying it in no time!
    • C Spear
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        Congratulations Phillip,

        There is nothing wrong with a 1976 vintage boat as long as you keep her in good condition.  The Yanmar diesel engine is perhaps the best brand available for sailboats.  Make sure you have a spare fuel filter and impeller on board, and know how to change them (including how to bleed the air out of the fuel system).

        If the spreader brackets are cracked, replace them.  Breaking a mast is a possible consequence if the spreader fails.

        It is likely that you can replace the bow pulpit for about the same cost as repairing it.  Small bends can be adjusted though.

        The wires going up the mast can be checked when the mast is off the boat using a multi-meter.  Check the resistance on the terminals.  For instance, if the steaming light is burned out or the wire is broken, it will show up on the meter.  Ditto on the radio, etc.  You may want to check to make sure there isn't a short circuit to the mast by checking the resistance from each terminal to the mast.

        Most people have a mast-head VHF antenna, which is much better than a deck mounted one.  However, most people have their GPS antenna mounted to the stern rail since it is looking at the sky, not at the horizon.  If money is an issue, a stern mounted VHF antenna works, but you will get less distance on the transmission.  Most of the time you will use it inside the harbor, and use cell phones for long distance communications, so the height isn't as critical as it used to be.

        You should have a seacock on the sink drain.  Also, get some plugs that fit every thru-hull connection in case you break one.

        Check the fuel tank for any damage.  If there is none, you can either adjust the matting with filler such as fiberglass resin or 5200.  You may also get a strap for it.

        Good luck with the new boat.
        Craig Spear

        I sort of jumped into buying my first boat today, a 1976 Catalina
        27', with tiller and diesel Yanmar. The boat is in better condition
        than most other 1970-era boats I've seen, but the spreader brackets
        are cracked, and the bow sprit is bent badly (tree branch dropped on
        it).

        My question is - what should I check out on the boat now that I have
        it, and what should I do while it is in dry dock?

        A few things I need to address, feel free to comment with ideas:

        1) Replace Spreader Brackets
        2) Step the Mast and hook up wiring (while the mast is down - any
        electronics I should add? New VHF arial maybe? GPS antenna (or is it
        better to mout GPS low in the boat?), maybe Radar?
        3) The icebox and sink drain do not have a seacock on the outlet,
        but a regular water valve (gate valve I think) - should I change
        this? Is it urgent?
        4) The diesel fuel tank is loose - the fiberglass matting that holds
        it in place is loose, and the tank is essentially loose to slide
        around. Any advice on this?
        5) The bow pulpit is bent - should I try to unbend it, or do I need
        to buy a new one?

        I paid just $2,000 for her - just need to haul her to water (20
        miles) and step the mast.

        Any idea?
        Phillip

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
          Hi Philip,

          Congratulations on your first owned sailboat!

          Consider getting yourself some new books & trainning.

          Go to Amazon.com

          I suggest "This Old Boat"  by  Don Casey

          This Old Boat, Second Edition by Don Casey (Hardcover - Nov 10, 2007)
          Buy new: $39.95 $26.37
          Available for Pre-order
          Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

          Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual by Don Casey (Hardcover - Sep 15, 2005)
          Buy new: $59.95 $37.77    37 Used & new from $27.45
          Get it by Thursday, Jul 5, if you order in the next 22 hours and 45 minutes.
          Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

          Marine Diesel Engines by Nigel Calder (Hardcover - Sep 12, 2006)
          Buy new: $27.95 $18.45    41 Used & new from $15.41
          Get it by Thursday, Jul 5, if you order in the next 23 hours and 43 minutes.
          Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

          Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder (Hardcover - May 31, 2005)
          Buy new: $49.95 $32.97    37 Used & new from $26.41
          In Stock
          Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

          Diesel Engine Care and Repair (Captain's Quick Guides) by Nigel Calder (Paperback - Mar 8, 2007)
          Buy new: $8.95    52 Used & new from $4.46
          Get it by Thursday, Jul 5, if you order in the next 21 hours and 58 minutes.
          Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

          Think of taking courses in the fall & winter;

          Diesel Engine Training for the Boat Owner

          Mack Boring & Parts Co.'s Training Services Division has been training diesel engine owners for over 30 years.  We currently offer 2 training seminars for Boat Owners.

          Basic Engine Maintenance Seminar
          1-Day Course

          In order to familiarize and update the diesel owner with their engine, Mack Boring & Parts Company will hold one-day Basic Diesel Seminars at four locations.  Read More & Register

          Marine Diesel Engine Owners Seminar
          2-Day Hands On Course

          Mack Boring & Parts Company offers a 2-Day HANDS ON Diesel Engine Course. This course is designed to familiarize boat owners on the proper methods of performing basic service and emergency repairs. This class is over 60% HANDS ON, however it is not a diesel engine rebuilding course.  Read More & Register

          Contact Us

          Phone: 908-964-0700 x213

          Fax: 908-964-0856

          Email: traininginfo@...