RE: [MassBaySailors] Help! In urgent need of a mooring or slip near Boston!

  • querencia
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007

      There is no such thing as a cheap mooring or slip, I think there are moorings available is Salem Harbor from West Shore Marine or Mid- Harbor Marine !!!

      Ed Pinanski

      " Querencia "

      1986 Pearson P33-2  # 37

      Beverly,MA [ On the North Shore ]

      Hi -
      I just bought my first boat (Catalina 27) and am in urgent need of an
      inexpensive mooring or slip near Boston

      Thanks
      Phillip

    • Larry Robertie
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
        Slips cost a lot. That's part of boating so be prepared. You might
        try Admirals Hill Marina. It is just past the Tobin and I think they
        tend to have openings. Plus you get to enjoy the fine perfume of the
        oil tankers.

        Most harbors have waiting lists for moorings, you will have to call
        around. There may be a seasonal rental you could get. You might try
        Salem Moorings (web - http://www.salemmooringservices.com/ ). I think
        Salem started a waiting list this year, but they may have something.
        Marblehead has a 14 year waiting list for a mooring.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
          Congratulations!

          I think there are still slips available at Cozy Cove Marina in
          Fairhaven, MA. $70/ft for May 15 through Nov 15th; laundry and shower
          on site. (in New Bedford Harbor). A bit more than 1/2 hour away, but
          affordable for a slip.

          If you get a mooring, some places have a water taxi service (extra
          dollars) and some places have a dinghy dock.
          (I checked the dinghy dock in Marblehead West side on Salem Harbor,
          which is also has launch service by Mid-Harbor Marine. The Salem side
          is served by Salem Water Taxi Service. Total mooring costs for
          mooring, water taxi and Salem's taxes for my 1978 hunter was around
          $775 in 2001.

          Parking may still be free, open lot, no guard.

          Bob

          BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

          At 12:09 AM 7/1/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi -
          >I just bought my first boat (Catalina 27) and am in urgent need of an
          >inexpensive mooring or slip near Boston. I'd rather have something 1/2
          >an hour away from Boston, if it is cheaper... not much money too
          >spend now.
          >
          >Thanks
          >Phillip
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dave Belfer-Shevett
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
            We 2 Sail wrote:
            > I think there are still slips available at Cozy Cove Marina in
            > Fairhaven, MA. $70/ft for May 15 through Nov 15th; laundry and shower
            > on site. (in New Bedford Harbor). A bit more than 1/2 hour away, but
            > affordable for a slip.

            Can I ask a super-stupid n00bie question?

            Mooring fees, when they say "$70/ft" - that's a yearly lease on a slip,
            or is that a payment per month?

            70/ft for a 27 foot boat would be $1890 a month. Talk about scary :)

            -dbs, curious.
          • Larry Robertie
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
              That would be a seasonal fee for a slip, usually mid-may to mid-
              October depending on the service. Actually that is a great price.
              Un here in salem the average price is $150/ft. I saw the prices
              Kingmans at Red Brook harbor at $179!

              Mooring fees up here are $6 a foot, paid to the harbormaster.

              Larry Robertie
              Ruach, Catalina 34 mkII
              Salem, MA

              --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, Dave Belfer-Shevett <dbs@...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                Larry Robertie wrote:
                > That would be a seasonal fee for a slip, usually mid-may to mid-
                > October depending on the service. Actually that is a great price.
                > Un here in salem the average price is $150/ft. I saw the prices
                > Kingmans at Red Brook harbor at $179!
                >
                > Mooring fees up here are $6 a foot, paid to the harbormaster.

                Obviously a lot more affordable. Does a typical mooring contract give
                you access to a dock for short periods of time? For instance, I'm
                bringing some friends out, or need to load a lot of gear on the boat, or
                need to get some work done. Can I tie up at the dock or on a slip for a
                couple hours while I do ${maintenance} or load ${guests}?

                Thanks tons for the information. That helps a lot. At $6/ft it would
                cost $180 a season to have a mooring in Salem for a 30' boat - if I'm
                calculating it right?

                (geek? me? nahhh. :)

                -dbs
              • Larry Robertie
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                  Diffferent situations. I belong to Palmers Cove YC and we contract
                  with Salem Watertaxi for services. Individual members by watertaxi
                  service from the club at $75 for the season - a substantial savings
                  over the $500+ retail price SWT charges its other customers.

                  We do have a 20 minute tie-up dock, but for members only.

                  Then there is the cost of maintenance. I own my mooring, so every
                  three years I need to change the top chain and any other worn out
                  materials.

                  Be carefull, in boating it's easy to see one cost component and assume
                  that's it. Although, it is a good general statement that a mooring is
                  going to cost you a lot less than a slip. When you can get one. There
                  are a lot of harbors with waiting lists. I think Salem started one last
                  fall.

                  Larry Robertie
                  Ruach, Catalina 34 mkII
                  Salem, MA

                  > Can I tie up at the dock or on a slip for a
                  > couple hours while I do ${maintenance} or load ${guests}?
                  >
                  > Thanks tons for the information. That helps a lot. At $6/ft it
                  would
                  > cost $180 a season to have a mooring in Salem for a 30' boat - if I'm
                  > calculating it right?
                  >
                  > (geek? me? nahhh. :)
                  >
                  > -dbs

                • Bette O'Connor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                    Hi All,

                    Salem rates are often based upon residency. I know you need to be a resident
                    of Salem to get into the Kernwood and Salem Harbor. Kernwood has a dock you
                    can use without charge to load unload. They also have an area to tie up your
                    dinghy for the season but they charge. Parking is ok if you have a sticker
                    but guests have to pay. From experience my friend who had their boat at the
                    Kernwood found it was boarded while tied up at the mooring. Ifyou put your
                    boat at the Kernwood you have to deal with the railrod bridge and wait in
                    cue to have the bridge moved so boats can pass under. The currents under
                    that bridge for a small boat are mighty tough. Salem Willows Yacht Club, I
                    believe, has a wait list.

                    Salem Harbor is ok. Hawthorne Cove is a nice marina but my friend was moved
                    about like a ping pong ball. One day we came in, the skiff was gone, another
                    boat on the mooring and nobody could tell us where to tie up.

                    Bette

                    http://liveearth.msn.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                      There used to be Moorings available in Hingham, Their rates were $1300 for
                      the season a few years ago. WIth all the construction going on, I don't know
                      what the situation is.
                      You could also call Marina Bay and Constitution Marina, see if they have any
                      late season openings.
                      Ahmet
                      "Nomad" 1984 Catalina 36 Hull # 300
                      Winthrop Yach Club
                      Winthrop MA
                      www.sailnomad.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                        It's the seasonal rate. Most marinas express it that way, unless of
                        course you want a day rate, ranging from $2.00/ft to "omigosh/ft". I
                        might also add that the $70/ft (seasonal) is for 27 footer. Some
                        marinas change the scale every so many feet. Like one rate for 27 to
                        29ft, another (higher) for 30 to 38 feet, etc. So, perhaps with
                        a S&S 124 feet, the rate might be $45/foot etc. They also include
                        all "overhangs" (bowsprit and aft platforms).

                        Bob

                      • smosher@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 12, 2007
                          >From: Larry Robertie <Larry@...>
                          >Date: 2007/07/11 Wed PM 02:36:09 CDT
                          >To: MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [MassBaySailors] Re: Help! In urgent need of a mooring or slip near Boston!

                          I use Salem Water Taxi for my mooring also

                          Price is $ 1000 and includes the launch service.

                          I was in the Merrimack a couple of years ago and the price at that time was 1500 and didn't include any launch service. I hear now the price is 2000.

                          Steve

                          >Diffferent situations. I belong to Palmers Cove YC and we contract
                          >with Salem Watertaxi for services. Individual members by watertaxi
                          >service from the club at $75 for the season - a substantial savings
                          >over the $500+ retail price SWT charges its other customers.
                          >
                          >We do have a 20 minute tie-up dock, but for members only.
                          >
                          >Then there is the cost of maintenance. I own my mooring, so every
                          >three years I need to change the top chain and any other worn out
                          >materials.
                          >
                          >Be carefull, in boating it's easy to see one cost component and assume
                          >that's it. Although, it is a good general statement that a mooring is
                          >going to cost you a lot less than a slip. When you can get one. There
                          >are a lot of harbors with waiting lists. I think Salem started one last
                          >fall.
                          >
                          >Larry Robertie
                          >Ruach, Catalina 34 mkII
                          >Salem, MA
                          >
                          >> Can I tie up at the dock or on a slip for a
                          >> couple hours while I do ${maintenance} or load ${guests}?
                          >>
                          >> Thanks tons for the information. That helps a lot. At $6/ft it
                          >would
                          >> cost $180 a season to have a mooring in Salem for a 30' boat - if I'm
                          >> calculating it right?
                          >>
                          >> (geek? me? nahhh. :)
                          >>
                          >> -dbs

                        • Larry Robertie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 12, 2007

                            > I use Salem Water Taxi for my mooring also
                            >
                            > Price is $ 1000 and includes the launch service.

                            Just did a bit of a double take until I realized you are saying you
                            also rent the mooring form SWT! Just curious, do you know how much of
                            that is just for the taxi?

                            Larry Robertie
                            Ruach, Catalina 34mkII
                            Salem, MA
                          • Steve Mosher
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 12, 2007
                              I don't know for this year, but last year it was 500 for the season.