Re: [MassBaySailors] Weekend Knockdowns in Salem Harbor

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2007
      Whatever a White 14 is, it does probably have no balast. It must be a dinghy.
      For our keelboats to be knocked over, there has to be a combination of either high winds (over 60 mph) or high waves or an idiot !
      Give or take some on those parameters.
      i,.e. an Idiot can probably knock down a good sized sailboat at 30 mph winds, if he/she tries very hard, and even the smartest sailor can not do much at winds over 90 mph :):)

      Usually the problem is too much sail. If you have a spinnaker up at 25 knots of wind you will probably fly high over the water and then broach and get knocked down.

      However, under normal conditions (and that includes this weekend) with a normal skipper, a keelboat will not come even close to getting knocked down. They may heel a lot, but they will not get horizontal

      Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:30 PM
      Subject: [MassBaySailors] Weekend Knockdowns in Salem Harbor

      While sailing this weekend I heard the Salem Harbormaster got a couple of calls for sailboats being blown over.  How does this happen??  Too much sail, too much wind???  They couldn't all have been White 14's   :-).  So much for ballast.  It was windy Fri. and Sat.  I noticed tonite coming home "red sky at nite, sailors delight".  (Since I'm a sailor now :-)  Need to make a few phone calls quick.    Take care everybody,   Terry

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
        Actually, we were beating into Beverly Friday at 2:00 PM and it was windy. We had just shaken out the reef in the main and had the full jib up. The gusts were in the low 30's w/ steady 25. We were making over 7 knots. We'd heel and dip the rail for a while, but aside from the work, it was no big deal in our P-30. In an open dinghy, it would have been different. The closest I ever came to tipping was one winter day when I gybed my 10' dinghy and the stern went under for a second. I was wearing my office clothes and I wasn't happy, but we only shipped a gallon or two.

        Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:30 PM