Re: [MassBaySailors] Boston Mooring Fee?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
      In Salem Harbor, Salem, MA I paid mooring fee (seasonal only for a seasonal mooring). Not normally paid by transients. I think Salem had three fees: Sticker fee, excise tax (based on where the boat is residing on a given day of the year, generally July 31st.

      Also Fairhaven MA rescinded their $10.00 Mooring Permit fee but replaced it with an $85.00 Waterway Use Fee, which allegedly pays for Pumpouts and Harbormaster Services and general Waterway maintenance.

      Thats in addition to the excise Tax, ad valorem based. Again, this is for seasonal moorings, anchoring or slips, not normally transient.

      And yes, the harbor masters do check for the stickers. Recently, in 2006, "the local authorities" found a couple of hundred boats moored illegally in one of the South Coast Harbors (MA SoCo) and had a field day writing tickets.

      Bob Early

      At 09:39 PM 6/13/2007, you wrote:

      I have been looking into finally buying a boat (CAL 33) and keeping it in RI.

      I was also looking into the procedure to visit Boston, maybe for a week or so during the season, and learned of the Mooring fee... According to https://www.cityofboston.gov/boats/mooring/ "Per Massachusetts General Law ( City of Boston Code, Chapter 16 Section 48 ) , boats are not allowed to moor or dock in Boston waters without first obtaining a permit from the City. This permit must be displayed on the port side of the boat, near the transom." I wonder if this applies to transient mooring use too? It sure reads that way. The link to the City of Boston Code is broken, so I could not research further (I googled it too). This is the kind of stuff that gives Mass. a bad rap......

      Can anyone fill me in on the details of this ordinance.

      Thanks,

      Ed

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
        Winthrop is the same, Excise tax and Waterway fee, totaling to a few hundred bucks.
        Howeever, this does not (at least inofficially) apply to transients.
        There are moorings available from the Boston Harbor Sailing Club, and off the islands, if you will be around for a day or two.

        These rules are really not any different from the rules anywher else. If you keep you boat on the same mooring for over a few weeks, you m ay get ticketed

        Also, if you have paid your excise tax in another town, you can use that as a substitute, if anybody asks you for one.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
          Thanks for the replies so far, but you haven't addressed my concern.

          "...this does not (at least inofficially - sic -) apply to transients....If
          you keep you boat on the same mooring for over a few weeks, you may get
          ticketed."

          There *has* to be an official policy recorded somewhere. Otherwise, it is
          open to selective enforcement. Which officer is on duty on a given day, and
          how well you know them, could be variables factoring into the level of
          enforcement if the policy is subject to interpretation.

          Also, I would hate to pick up a mooring, and the next day just happens to be
          the day that the BPD decides to check for stickers. Does this work like the
          2 hour parking spaces? That is, does the officer come by, and if no sticker,
          first note your boat name and home port (like chalk on the tire). The second
          time that they see you with no sticker, they then begin enforcement.

          Ticketing would be one thing, but the
          (http://www.cityofboston.gov/trac/faq03.asp?ID=16) website states: "What
          happens if I moor my boat without a permit? Your boat will be removed from
          the harbor and stored at your expense in a designated area by the
          Harbormaster."

          It sounds to me like your boat gets confiscated.

          Am I going overboard (pardon the really bad pun) on this?

          Ed
        • Larry Robertie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
            --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Herlihy" <eherlihy@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks for the replies so far, but you haven't addressed my concern.
            >
            > "...this does not (at least inofficially - sic -) apply to
            transients....If

            Ed, I've never seen a transient mooring require a sticker. Generally
            you call ahear and reserve your mooring from a company that provides
            them. The Harbormaster will be aware of wicth balls these are and
            leave you alone. If you are going to be mooring out by the Islands
            they will come out and get your payment, although it would probably
            be wise to call ahead.

            Try this for the islands:
            http://www.bostonislands.org/trip_moorings.html

            And this for Boston marina reports/contacts:
            http://www.atlanticcruisingclub.com/index.aspx
            (Constitution Marina has a few moorings, other than that you are
            probably looking at a slip)
          • Barry Needalman
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
              At my marina, Boston Shipyard, East Boston, a warning is issued before any punitive action.  That is what they have done the last couple of years, but of course they can change their minds.

              Last year, I got a warning even though a sticker was on the boat.  A pleasant phone call to the number on the warning solved the problem.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                OK, lets take a case in point.

                About 1998 - 1999, I went to the sailboat (moored in Salem Harbor)
                and there was white tie-on sticker on the aft rail from the
                Harbormaster. "When read, please come by my office". On successive
                weeks, the tie-ons changed to Red, which read , in part ". .
                .confiscate, store and fine . . ". Due to some misunderstanding, he
                had not paid Salem the excise tax for that season. But this took
                place over several weeks.

                Nowadays, the Harbormaster, or at least in Salem when I used to moor
                there (2002 - 2003), have maps and charts as to which boat is
                registered to which mooring, which is used to verify the correct boat
                is on that mooring.

                One of the problems, I am told, is that the owner of a 27 footer may
                put down tackle appropriate for a 27 footer, then along comes an
                uninvited "guest" and puts his 47 footer on the mooring.

                Second, if you are a transient, I assume on a paid transient mooring,
                the Harbormaster need only check with the moorings' owner.

                Ever since 9/11, Homeland security funds and "rationale" have been
                used to further erode what few waterway rights we used to have, and
                be a 'cause celebre' for increased taxation.

                Regarding "Also, I would hate to pick up a mooring, and the next day
                just happens to be
                >the day that the BPD decides to check for stickers. Does this work
                >like the . . ."

                I do this occasionally. Generally in after dusk and gone before sunup
                and noone knows the difference, unless the owner comes back late. In
                which case, owners will often take another and not bug you even
                though they have the right to do so!

                Or perhaps just for a picnic lunch.

                Hope this helps,

                Bob

                btw - I am told some moorings in Boston Harbor Islands rent by the
                hour, and not just the day or night.

                At 07:34 AM 6/14/2007, you wrote:

                >Thanks for the replies so far, but you haven't addressed my concern.
                >
                >"...this does not (at least inofficially - sic -) apply to transients....If
                >you keep you boat on the same mooring for over a few weeks, you may get
                >ticketed."
                >
                >There *has* to be an official policy recorded somewhere. Otherwise, it is
                >open to selective enforcement. Which officer is on duty on a given day, and
                >how well you know them, could be variables factoring into the level of
                >enforcement if the policy is subject to interpretation.
                >
                >Also, I would hate to pick up a mooring, and the next day just happens to be
                >the day that the BPD decides to check for stickers. Does this work like the
                >2 hour parking spaces? That is, does the officer come by, and if no sticker,
                >first note your boat name and home port (like chalk on the tire). The second
                >time that they see you with no sticker, they then begin enforcement.
                >
                >Ticketing would be one thing, but the
                >(http://www.cityofboston.gov/trac/faq03.asp?ID=16) website states: "What
                >happens if I moor my boat without a permit? Your boat will be removed from
                >the harbor and stored at your expense in a designated area by the
                >Harbormaster."
                >
                >It sounds to me like your boat gets confiscated.
                >
                >Am I going overboard (pardon the really bad pun) on this?
                >
                >Ed

              • Ed Herlihy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                  Thanks for the info.

                  I guess that the key is that I don't understand the "regulation" as
                  described at the BPD site referenced in my above posting. I have
                  inferred that the rule applies to any and all moorings (because that's
                  what the FAQ says)...

                  Unfortunately, you can't look up the regulation on line. I guess that I
                  could run down to City Hall and try to find it, but I'd rather undergo
                  abdominal surgery without anesthetic. If the regulation only applies to
                  seasonal, or permanent moorings, what is the difference? 1 day (as the
                  website implies)? 1 week? 1 month? 3 months? Where is the line in the
                  sand that they don't want anyone to cross??

                  I currently belong to the BHSC, which states in the mooring
                  section; "Season mooring renters are responsible for fees that may be
                  imposed by the Harbormaster." Mark, who runs the club, has told me that
                  means a mooring permit, and excise and property taxes. Now you know why
                  I would prefer RI.

                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                    It also depends on the locals
                    One year,. I had my boat on and off at the mooring for the entire season,
                    nothing happened.
                    A friend of mine kept his stranded boat on a mooring in winthrop, nothing
                    happened.
                    I had my second boat in winthrop all summer,. forgot to put on the sticker,
                    I got a $50 fine in September (After 4 months) ot the harbormaster riding
                    back and forth every single day.

                    If you are a transient, visinting and renting a slip or mooring, you dont'
                    have to have a sticker.
                    The marina that holds that transient mooring has probably paid some kind of
                    a fee already for that purpose.
                    Just like everywhere else.

                    Ahmet
                    www.sailnomad.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                      Exciting Local & International Sailing times

                      All below from www.ScuttleButt.com

                      June 15 - Marion to Bermuda Cruising Yacht Race - Marion, MA, USA

                      Summer Sailstice June 21 -> 24

                      GOING TO THE ROCK

                      Block Island, R.I. -- From June 17-22, 2007, the population of tiny Block
                      Island
                      will swell by over 2000 sailors while marinas fill with an extra 200
                      plus boats when the Storm Trysail Club arrives to coordinate--for its 22nd
                      time--Block Island Race Week presented by Rolex. One of the most popular
                      sailing weeks in
                      America, the event has repeated itself here biennially
                      since 1965, offering competitors impeccably managed competition on the water
                      and famously friendly rivalry ashore. This year, Block Island Race Week
                      presented by Rolex serves as the first-ever Rolex US-IRC National
                      Championship for boats certified under IRC.

                      Nelson Weidermann (Wakefield, R.I.) has competed six times in the event with
                      his best performance being a second in class. He skippers his J/105 Kima
                      against other J/105s in the one-design division that was started for this
                      class at the 1996 event. "It is one of the bigger one-design classes," said
                      Weidermann. "There were more than 20 J/105s last time, and we expect that
                      again." Weidermann sails with his two sons and friends whose families enjoy
                      vacationing on
                      Block Island. "We rent a house and have the seven
                      grandchildren here. We sail all day while the kids hit the beach; then we
                      all have dinner together every night. "Some of the J/105 sailors are
                      dyed-in-the-wool, around-the-buoys sailors," added Weidermann, "but over the
                      years, we've come to really enjoy the race around the island, which
                      challenges us with all its different currents and weather." -- Complete
                      story: http://tinyurl.com/ynshjq

                      AMERICA’S CUP MATCH   Begins  June 23rd !!!
                      First team to win 5 races in the 9 race series
                      Challenger: Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL) _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ = 0
                      Defender: Alinghi (SUI) _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ = 0

                      * Race schedule: Racing begins Saturday, June 23rd, with the second race on
                      Sunday before the first rest day on Monday. -- Complete schedule:
                      http://www.americascup.com/en/americascup/program/calendrier.php

                      CALENDAR OF MAJOR EVENTS (Sponsored by West Marine)
                      Here are a few of the events that are coming up:
                       June 15 - Marion to Bermuda Cruising Yacht Race - Marion, MA, USA
                      June 16-17 - Vanguard 15 New England Championship - Larchmont, NY, USA

                      Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
                    • John DeMambro
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                        I have a copy of the regulations in my home office and a transient boat is exempt from the mooring fee. A transient boat is defined as "a boat that is in the City Waterways, including but lot limited to being moored a Permitted Mooring, for not more than 14 successive calendar days or more than 28 total calendar days in a calendar year." So, by your scenario, the fee would not apply to you.

                        Regards,

                        Jack DeMambro
                        Boston, MA
                        S/V Catalyst C36 #1888

                        --
                        Jack DeMambro
                        Boston, MA
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
                          Thank you Jack for finally bringing a definitive answer to this dilemma.
                          It was nice to meet you.
                          Btw .. my wife saw you the other day, when she was taking sailing lessons.

                          --
                          Jack DeMambro
                          Boston, MA