Books on sailing

  • terry regan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
      Hi All,  Does anyone know of any used book stores in the Boston - Metrowest area that have a good maritime section?  I know of Bearly Read Books in Sudbury.  They have a very large maritime section that I raid often.  I'd also be interested if there's any in the Newport, RI area.   Thanks,    Terry

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
        Just a question.

        Many book stores and antiquarians also have an "online" presence, and may be found using one of the many "search engines" (like Google) for "Used Books" Maritime OR Marine OR Sailing OR Boating in Newport, RI ?

        Thanks for the Sudbury tip. I find most of the Bookstores tend to pander to the 90% who buy 95% of popular books with very tiny, if existent, Boating sections (Blue Water Books excluded, of course - Fort Lauderdale, FL) but even the have been adding in more of the crap books . . er . . popular books.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
          Thanks,  Someone else mentioned  Brattle St. Books, Boston.  Also www.seaoceanbook.com  interesting site.

          At 02:44 PM 6/4/2007, you wrote:

          Hi All,  Does anyone know of any used book stores in the Boston - Metrowest area that have a good maritime section?  I know of Bearly Read Books in Sudbury.  They have a very large maritime section that I raid often.  I'd also be interested if there's any in the Newport, RI area.   Thanks,    Terry

          It's here! Your new message!

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
            Hi,

            Many books you search for NEW on Amazon often have USED prices & inventory.  A book new at $20 may be for sale used for say $4.  Go to www.Amazon.com and search on sailing .. etc ..

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
              Check out:

              They have great books. It is Paradise Cay Publications,

              Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:08 PM
              Subject: [MassBaySailors] Books on sailing

            • smosher@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                >From: Ahmet <SailNomad@...>
                >Date: 2007/06/05 Tue AM 08:38:29 CDT
                >To: MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [MassBaySailors] Books on sailing

                Hi Here's a list I've gleemed from the net

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                  If you are seeking some sailing educational books I suggest narrowing your search to these authors;

                  Chapman (Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling)
                  John Rousmaniere - Annapolis Book of Seamanship, The
                  Nigel Calder
                  Don Casey
                  Jobson  - Basic Keelboat Sailing Standard (ASA 101)
                  Dave Perry
                  Ellen MacArthur
                  Tristan Jones

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                    I will read anything that Fatty Goodlander writes :)

                    2 more names at the level of Nigel calder and Don Casey:
                    John Vigor  (20 SMALL BOATS THAT TAKE YOU ANYWHERE) and THE SEAWORTHY OFFSHORE SAILBOAT
                    Brian Toss THE COMPLETE RIGGERS APPRENTICE .. must read !

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
                      Louis Vuitton is on TV right NOW V/S Comcast Ch 48  New Z. vs Italia

                    • terry regan

                        Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:10 PM

                        If you are seeking some sailing educational books I suggest narrowing your search to these authors;

                        Chapman (Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling)
                        John Rousmaniere - Annapolis Book of Seamanship, The
                        Nigel Calder
                        Don Casey
                        Jobson  - Basic Keelboat Sailing Standard (ASA 101)
                        Dave Perry
                        Ellen MacArthur
                        Tristan Jones

                        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                        The fish are biting.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2007
                          It depends on what you are looking for. Brian Toss has a lot of tricks in his bag, and does offer very good advise, bundled with humor. But it is more for fixing things around the boat.
                          There are other books that are more "sailing stories" Fatty Goodlander has some good ones. I liked "Lionheart" the story of a 18 year old boy who sailed around the worlds. Then there is Tania Aebi's book, which is fun to read.
                          A good book which is a combination of sound cruising adwise, albeit worldwide cruising, is Beth Leonard's book.
                          I am no sure about the name, but she does not have too many books out.

                          If youi are looking for a book with bags of tricks, similar to the Brian Toss book but shorter, and a compilation of advise sent in by various readers, find the book called "Sailor's Secrets"

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 6, 2007
                            I'd like to Humbly suggest one addtion to the list. It's really just
                            about knots, but the narrative with the info is pretty good. The
                            author actually also did all the illustrations himself. I just
                            picked it up to loan to a friend and, of course, got drawn back into it.
                            You can never know too many knots.

                            "The Arts of the Sailor" - by Hervey Garrett Smith.

                            I can't seem to get this link to turn blue (i.e. linkable,) so you
                            have to cut & paste to your browser window to see the cover etc.

                            http://www.amazon.com/Arts-Sailor-Knotting-Splicing-Ropework/dp/0486264408

                            Regards;

                            AFB