Boston Harbor - Sailboat Rental ideas?

  • gb7107
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28 6:46 PM
      Hi all,

      I've been an active lurker for about a year now, introduced myself
      about a year ago, but will do so again. I've been sailing through
      the Boston Harbor Sailing Club for two years now, and grew up
      sailing in the club ~20 yrs ago. I completed their Masters sailing
      course two years ago (up to bareboat charter) and have since headed
      up to cape ann, down to falmouth, out to P'town and various points
      in between.

      This summer, I am trying to organize a corporate sailing outing one
      Saturday in August (exact date TBD) and am looking for a sailboat to
      rent to supplement one I will provide from BHSC and another that
      another colleague will provide from the BSC. My friend, and the
      captain of the boat to be rented, has an extensive sailing resume,
      learning to sail at Kiel University in Germany and since having
      crossed the Atlantic three times, circled England in a 26 footer,
      and was a charter captain in the BVIs (or somewhere around there).

      I know that I can rent from the BHSC if they have a boat, but as
      they give preference to members (which, as a member, I think is the
      right decision!) I cannot make a long term plan for a reservation.
      So, if anyone has a different suggestion, I am very open to it.

      Glad to hear your ideas. Thanks all! Feel free to respond here or
      to ping me offline (craigvdp at hotmail dot com).

      Happy sailing!

      Craig
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29 5:26 AM

        Ask the Expert... Bill Colombo
        Q. I am a novice at flying a spinnaker. I have a fairly experienced crew and have observed different sequences as we prepare to hoist the spin. I'd like to know if there is a standard sequence we should go through or is it fairly dependent on crew preferences? Can you recommend any printed material on this subject?
        A. There are quite a few books written on the subject of sail trim and spinnaker flying, however, I will outline the basics:
        1. Attach the turtle. Hook up the halyard, sheets, and guys. (Bow)
        2. Position pole on windward side of boat. Place guy in the pole jaw. (Bow and Mast)
        3. Attach pole to mast and raise inboard end to approximate height. (Mast)
        4. Attach topping lift and fore guy and hoist pole at right angles to mast. (Mast and Pit)
        5. Pre-feed spinnaker guy so that the clew reaches the jaw of the pole when the pole is laying against the headstay. (Guy Trimmer)
        6. Hoist spinnaker all the way up. (Mast and Pit)
        7. Drop Jib. (Pit and Bow)
        8. Trim Spinnaker to the wind. (Sheet and Guy)
        Remember, practice makes perfect.