Re: [MassBaySailors] Connecting Sailors to Sailboats / or Sailors to Sailors

  • Dave Belfer-Shevett
    Message 1 of 14 , May 24 8:26 PM
      Bill Scanlon wrote:
      > This Sunday at 2:00 PM WYC is having a Pot-Luck BBQ Dock party. YOU are
      > invited, bring your own food (side dishes and grill items and your own
      > beverages) and enjoy the onset of Summer.

      Unfortunately, this is in the middle of the holiday weekend, and I'll be
      out of town :( I hope to make another event soon!

      -dbs
    • CAL
      Message 2 of 14 , May 25 7:31 AM
        So many things to do so little time

        Do you have to be some sort of member to go to that sailing event in Marblehead?

        I used to date a knuckhead from Marblehead and he would rave about how elite that club was -- don't know how elite it really is...please let me know.

        Cara

        Message 3 of 14 , May 25 8:21 AM
          The knucklehead was elite, the rest of the fraternity is OK (usually).

          Message 4 of 14 , May 26 6:27 AM
            Hi Cara,

            NO you do NOT need to be  a member of the Corinthian YC to attend. There will be women there from all over the country.  It is a Woman's only Sailing conference organized by the NWSA (National Women's Sailing Assoc.) The facilities are very nice, I uderstand it very expensive to belong.  They are very gracious in hosting this conference each year.
            My wife Andrea has really enjoyed the times she has gone.  I think you would like it.

            Bill

            TV dinner still cooling?
            Message 5 of 14 , May 27 6:24 AM
              Knowing your Marine weather forecast is an essential safety procedure.  Here are some Sailing/Weather forecast predictors.

              Boston Weather Buoy

              Boston Harbor Currents;

              SailFlow;
              www,SailFlow.com

              Intellicast Weather Radar Loop ;

              Mass.  Tide Charts;

              NOAA Marine ZONE Weather Forecast;

              NOAA Marine Weather Forecast;

              Ocean Weather;

              NOAA National Weather Site;

              Weather for Saiors;

              Very very Cool,

              All you need is a high-speed Internet connection and a thirst for adventure and learning.

              The sky darkens and you notice the wind is picking up. A quick check of the weather data confirms your worst suspicions: this is no mere storm. You are sailing straight into a hurricane. Has this adventure come to an end, or could there be a way to convert this potential disaster to your advantage?

              Windward: Outsmart the Weather in a Race Around the World doesn’t require deck shoes or a life preserver—just a high-speed internet connection and a thirst for adventure. A free, online nautical challenge, Windward offers players a chance to take the helm and battle the elements as they plot the fastest course around the world.

              Boston Harbor Currents;

              More Tides;

              Message 6 of 14 , May 28 8:54 AM

                Hi,

                Because some of you have asked, this is our updated Summer Sail/Cruise Wish List/Itinerary.  Again, this is just a draft, and for Andrea & I it’s VERY speculative depending on;  family obligations;  our ability to get these days/weeks off from work; our cruising budget; the status of our boat & gear, cruising companions and of course the weather.  I (Bill) am the WYC Fleet Captain and must attend most if not all WYC’s Summer events.  I also start a new job on June 4th and I don’t know yet if I’ll be able to get the time off I desire.

                Here is the WYC Main Website:

                And here is it’s “events” sub-page:

                These events are pasted at the bottom of this document

                Bill & Andrea

                Races

                EVERY Wednesday evening at 6:00 PM  there is Racing (organized by Cottage Park YC) in and near the Deer Island Flats and Yellow Anchorage area between Logan & Deer Island .  Post messages to this site if you would like to crew.

                Date                            Event                                      Location/Host Club
                Aug. 4, 2007                Make-A-Wish Regatta             Cottage Park YC
                Aug. 11, 2007              Flip Flop Regatta                      The ALLY Foundation

                Sept. 9, 2007               Viking Cup Regatta               Winthrop Yacht Club

                Sept. 15, 2007             Great Chase Race                    Hull Yacht Club
                Sept. 29, 2007             Boston Harbor Islands Regatta Island Alliance

                Cruise Schedule   -    2007

                June

                   Saturday June 2nd
                   National Women’s Sailing Conference, at the Corinthian YC
                   Weather Permitting Sail & Stay for the weekend at CYC.

                  Thursday, 6/21 Summer Solstice  !!
                  Sail in the late afternoon followed by some socializing at WYC  …

                  Summer Sailstice Weekend
                            Saturday June 23, WYC  Here Comes Summer, Dock Party
                Approximate times 12:00 to 4:00 ish
                (invite MBS to join this event)

                            Saturday afternoon and evening MassBaySailors Invade Spectacle Island marina for an overnight.

                            Sunday morning breakfast at Spectacle Island followed by an All Day Sail/Race, dinner & social gathering at WYC to follow.

                June  30  ->  July 4   (July 4th is Wednesday)

                            Saturday June  30th  WYC Invades Town River YC
                Sunday July 1   Leisurely Sail back to WYC from  Town River YC,  Rendezvous in the late afternoon,  grab moorings at Rainsford and/or Peddock’s Islands for a cookout.

                 July

                Wednesday, 7/4 WYC Dock Party

                Saturday & Sunday July 21 & 22 Impromptu WYC Sail to Scituate Harbor overnight, socialize together on boats and ashore, all invited.

                July

                Saturday July 14 : Nantasket Beach SWC Invades WYC

                One or Two  week Summer Cruise

                Week 1 & 2:

                Leave on or about Saturday July 21  (Andrea off 19 & 20) to Scituate and sail from Scituate to CC Canal & south from there.

                1 Week Cruisers return on or about Sunday July 29
                2 Week Cruisers return on or about Saturday Aug. 3rd

                August

                            Saturday Aug.  4th  Palmers Cove YC Invades WYC
                            Saturday Aug.  18th WYC Invades Nantasket Beach SWC

                            Saturday & Sunday Aug.  25 & 26   Impomptu Sail to Glouster.

                Labor Day Weekend  WYC Cruise to P-Town &
                  The beginning of another week of cruising.
                Friday 8/31  Saturday 9/1, Sunday 9/2 Monday 9/3

                September

                End of Summer Cruise

                Labor Day Weekend  WYC & MBS Cruise to P-Town &
                  The beginning of a week of cruising.
                P-Town  Friday 8/31  Saturday 9/1, Sunday 9/2 Monday 9/3

                Monday 9/3 leave P-Town head for Sandwich or Onset, dependent on CC Canal Tides.  Next day sail to Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs

                            Saturday evening Sept 8th, Jimmy Buffet at Tweeter Cntr.

                            Viking Cup Sunday Sept 9th,   (invite MBS to crew this event)

                            Newport Boat Show

                            Boston In-Water Boat Show

                October

                            Columbus Day Weekend
                            Saturday / Sunday / Monday  10/6 10/8 & 10/9
                            Invade Boston Harbor Marina (which one ??)

                2 Week Mid Summer Cruise Course & Itinerary
                July 19  ->  August 3

                Week # 1

                Note:  (Andrea has Thurs. & Fri. July 19/20 off from work AND the following week, so WE’LL cruise on these days, at least).  Andrea wants to include MV in her vacation so, for us, I will arrange these days to accommodate her desires.  ;-)  I also kept a week # 2 in here for your benefit or in case I “Bill” am able to take a 2nd week.

                Destination #1   Scituate Harbor 1 night                   Saturday July 21

                Destination #2   Sandwich or Onset 1 night   Sunday July 22

                Destination #3  MV Vineyard Haven 2 nights          Monday & Tuesday July 23 & 24

                Destination #4  Hyannis Harbor Cape Cod              Wednesday & Thursday July 25 & 26

                Destination #5 Kingman Marina in Falmouth          Friday July 27
                Day 9                                                  (maybe Sat. 28)

                Destination #7 Scituate Harbor                                Saturday July 28
                Day 10                                                (maybe Sun. 29)

                Destination #8 Home, WYC                                      Sunday July 29
                Day 10                                    (maybe Mon. 30th)Day 5 or 6 (night 5 or 6)
                  Newport

                Week # 2

                Destination #6  Cuttyhunk    1  Night
                Day 9 (or 10)                                                   Friday July 27 (or Saturday the 28)

                Destination #7  Newport  2 nights                              Saturday & Sunday July 28 & 29 (or 29/30)
                Day 10 & 11 (or 11 & 12)

                Destination #8  Block Island R.I.   2 nights   Monday & Tuesday  July 30 & 31  (or 31 & 32)
                Day 12 & 13 (or 13 & 14)

                Destination #9  Cuttyhunk   1  Night             Wednesday Aug. 1 (or Thurs.  8/2)
                Day 14 (or 15)

                Destination #10 Kingman Marina in Falmouth        Thursday August 2
                Day 15 (or 16)                                     (maybe Fri. 3)

                Destination #11 Scituate Harbor                              Friday August 3
                Day 16 (or 17)                                     (maybe Sat. 4)

                Destination #12 Home, WYC                                    Saturday Aug. 4
                             Day 17 (or 18)                                    (maybe Sun. Aug. 5)
                                                                                        Saturday August 4th
                                                                                                Palmer’s Cove YC
                Invades WYC

                1+ Week, End-of-Summer Cruise Course & Itinerary
                Friday August 31  ->  Sunday September 9

                Day 1, Friday Aug. 31:
                Destination #1   P-Town (or Scituate for those who get a late Friday Start)

                Day(s) 2 ->   3  , Sat., Sun., Mon.  Sept 1, 2 & 3:
                Destination #1   P-Town

                Day 4  Mon.  Sept.  3:
                Destination #2   Onset Harbor , anchor overnight.

                Day(s) 4  & 5  Tuesday and Wednesday;  Sept.  5, 6 & 7th morning
                Destination #3   Oak Bluffs, MV
                The harbor should be near empty, quiet and gorgeous during this week following
                Labor Day.  We did this same Cruise/Itinerary in 2004

                Day 7  Thursday morning, Sept. 6th,
                a short motor-sail from Oak Bluffs to Vineyard Haven
                            VH should also be empty & quiet.  Spend 1 day & night here, eat dinner and then
                breakfast at the Black Dog.

                Day 8  Friday morning Sept.  7th   a short Sail over to Falmouth Cape Cod.
                            Of course our weather window will be monitored and if it is smarter to start
                            Heading back towards the CC Canal then we would do so.

                Day 9  Saturday Sept 8th a 5 to 6 hour day sail from Falmouth to Kingman Marine.

                Day 10, Sunday Sept. 9th a very long sail from Kingman Marine back to Boston ,
                Winthrop, WYC ..  Of course Scituate is a closer destination if it is needed.

                  June 1
                  Full Moon Lounge Party
                  June 3
                  Blessing of the Fleet