Stupid Noobie Question

  • Ed Herlihy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19 7:28 AM
      OK. Here goes.

      As I said in my intro several weeks back, I've been sailing with the BHSC for the past three years, and earned my ASA 101/103/104/105 certifications. After seeing all the info on the Flip Flop, and the Harbor regattas you have piqued my interest. One of the things that they don't teach you is the difference between a race and a regatta... I was under the impression that a regatta was just a group of boats cruising from port A to port B. After seeing the awards and trophies I'm wondering "is there more to it than this?"

      Ed
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19 9:25 AM
        Hi Ed,

        As always, there are NO stupid questions.  And, you are being very humble by referring to yourself as a Newbie after receiving those certifications.

        IMHO;

        To get down to the semantics of the 2 words you have;

        A "Race" is simply that, 2 or more sailboats may race, organized or un-organized. I.e. You & I are in the same vicinity and going in the same direction, because we are sailors we will most likely try to beat each other, "race" …. Or a race might be weekly Wednesday night races where you MIGHT be able to accumulate weekly points towards a seasons total accumulations ..

        A Regatta tends to be a more organized "race" .. It might be an annual event, with boat classes, placing (1st, 2nd & 3rd etc) their might be trophies, awards, pre race skippers meetings, dinners, award ceremonies, blah blah blah

        A Regatta may include a Notice Of Race, boat qualifications, entry fees ..

        Ed, you MIGHT be confusing Regatta with Armada … in the "group of boats" term ..

        Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20 10:20 AM
          Hi,

          The Luis V.  Amer Cup racing is on TV right now, Comcast Ch #48 ..

          Sunday 1:15 PM

          Building a website is a piece of cake.