Intro

  • C Spear
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2007
      Bill suggested that the newer members introduce ourselves to the Mass Bay Sailors forum.

      Last season, after 20 years with my old boat, I finally moved up from the old C&C 26 to a Catalina 380.  I also moved my sailing base from New London, CT to Beverly, MA, which is just 20 minutes from home as opposed to 2-hours.  It is so nice to be able to stop by the boat in the afternoon to get a few things done or go out for a short sail.  Being new to me last fall commissioning the boat for the first time has taken longer than normal since I am trying to understand each line and system.

      My sailing experience started when I was 6 years old, and has included cruising in various parts of the world, racing, deliveries and being an active member in several yacht and sailing clubs.  In the past I have done most of the work on my boat, and still do much of it.  However, last year, I had the new auto helm 6000, and a 2 KW inverter/smart charger installed by an expert.

      This season, the boat is in great shape and has been sailed several times starting in late April.  If the weather cooperates I plan to do the first overnight of the season this weekend as a shake-down for a cruise to Gloucester and Salem I am leading over the Memorial Day weekend.

      I am looking forward to re-exploring from Boston to Cape Ann to P-town and to Maine this summer.  Already there is two trips to each of those locations on the schedule this summer.  Having a bigger boat with lots of creature comforts the old boat didn't have makes me excited over the possibilities.  Any help in re-learning these waters would be welcome.

      Craig Spear
      "Free Spearit"
      Catalina 380
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2007
        That is a wonderful boat, the 380. I love it
        A few years ago I looked at one, but could not afford it then.
        We will be doing trips out of Winthrop all summer, and sometimes get together at the Boston Harbor Islands.
        Hope to see you around

        Message 3 of 7 , May 20, 2007
          Hi all,

          I thought I would introduce myself as Bill suggested.

          I took the Intro to Sailing course at Courageous Sailing in Charlestown last year and joined as a member this year. I love being on boats but primarily get that opportunity when I'm diving or taking harbor cruises. I've tried sailing for a few years on and off and am hoping to get more experience this summer as part of Courageous. I am not yet comfortable going out on my own so if you or anyone you know is an experienced sailor and would like to do some weekend or weeknight sailing in the harbor, I'd be happy to have you as my guest at Courageous.

          Hope I get a chance to meet some of you in person.

          Vino

          Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us.http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48516/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7hot CTA = Join Yahoo!'s user panel

        • Steve Dahill
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2007
            Hi Vino,

            I sailed at Courageous last year, but did not rejoin this year. I
            would love to sail with you. I will send you an email. Steve
          • dkavadas
            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2007
              Hello Vino,

              I sail out of the BSC right across the harbor. I am free weekdays and
              weekends for a sail. Just drop me a line, I'd be happy to join. I have
              good experience and am confident in my skills.

              Dimitrios

              --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, Vino Gupta <vandanagupta@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I thought I would introduce myself as Bill suggested.
              >
              > I took the Intro to Sailing course at Courageous Sailing in
              Charlestown last year and joined as a member this year. I love being
              on boats but primarily get that opportunity when I'm diving or taking
              harbor cruises. I've tried sailing for a few years on and off and am
              hoping to get more experience this summer as part of Courageous. I am
              not yet comfortable going out on my own so if you or anyone you know
              is an experienced sailor and would like to do some weekend or
              weeknight sailing in the harbor, I'd be happy to have you as my guest
              at Courageous.

              > Hope I get a chance to meet some of you in person.
              >
              > Vino
            • Steve Dahill
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21, 2007
                Hi all,

                I've been lurking on this site for sometime, but this is my first
                post. Been sailing for a few years on day sailors. My interest now is
                learning to cruise. I've taken a number of Power Squadron courses--
                seamanship, piloting, advanced piloting--to work toward this goal. Now
                hoping to get a chance to practice these skills! Don't have my own
                boat. Please let me know if you need crew or someoone to share
                expenses in exchange for opportunity to gain some experience. Thanks!
                steve
              • mnowak1@bidmc.harvard.edu
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  it seems that a bunch of people around here in this list seek to crew boats, I would include myself to that bunch. I have been sailing and teaching cruising, piloting, etc. before coming to Boston. I would absolutely love to get the chance to crew with you, or even share mutual experience in these skills.

                  Thanks
                  Michael