Re: [MassBaySailors] CC Canal Bridges

  • Doug Giuliana - SailTime
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
      Hey Tim,

      The bridges are high enough for monster tankers, so you'll be able to cruise right through without hesitation.

      Doug
      SailTime
      ...for the time of your life!

      Douglyss Giuliana
      President
      SAILTIME BOSTON
      Telephone: 617-899-6815
      email: dougg@...
      web: www.sailtime.com

      Tim wrote:

      I wanted to ask how to transit through the bridges along the CC Canal.
      Are all these bridges large enough to sail right under or is there a
      bridge tender you must call ahead of time?

      I'm on a 27ft boat with 37' from the waterline to the top of the mast,
      give or take a foot.

      Tim

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        The railroad bridge is always up (except to allow a passing train)
        and the others are way high enough for passage.

        Maybe the Bark "Eagle" could have a problem, if their top mast is in
        place, but other than that . . . <smile>

        I take it you found enough qualified crew?

        At least is shouldn't be too hot like in July or so, huh?

        Keep in mind that Canal Regulations require your engine to be running
        even if the wind is right. Do you still need the SWR or have you
        already checked the VFH cable and output power?

        Bob Early

        At 09:42 PM 4/5/2007, you wrote:

        >I wanted to ask how to transit through the bridges along the CC Canal.
        >Are all these bridges large enough to sail right under or is there a
        >bridge tender you must call ahead of time?
        >
        >I'm on a 27ft boat with 37' from the waterline to the top of the mast,
        >give or take a foot.
        >
        >Tim

      • Iain Galloway
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hey Tim - You never said anything about having to be "qualified"!!!
          :-)

          Iain

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2007
            Here is Boston's Sailing Center's on-line cruising guide.  It is very helpful for a quick glance, general information and reference;

            It includes:

            advice for sailors cruising the Massachusetts coast, from the members and staff of the Boston Sailing Center

            graphic previews with links to area harbors

            suggested routes for any length of cruise or level of experience

            direct links to each of the individual harbor pages

            To get more detailed info I suggests anyone planning anything other than day trips or short over nighters to purchase a more robust commercial product.

            MapTech's Hard Copy/Pager Chart Kit (from Wes M or Landfall Navigation etc.) is a standard as well as their electronic GPS Chart-plotting products.  The typical N.E. Sailor's Kit is the Maine (Bar Harbor or Portland, I think) to Long Island ...  This use to sell for about $100 at WM, again worth every penny.

            I am very please with the Atlantic Cruising Club's Digital Guide to New England.  You can buy it from www.Amazon.com and many other locations.  The book is great, very comprehensive and it comes with a CD to load onto your computer that has most, if not all, the book content on it.  Once you buy this product you are give access to the company's (non-profit organization, I think) Web Site for additional information and product updates.

              $24.95  worth every penny !!

            I'm sure 99.9% of us agree that we ALL should have a paper chart(s) in our possession and that we have them out of storage and ready for use for each and every trip we take away from our home dock or mooring.  This is very high on the boating SAFETY list.

            Be a PS3 game guru.