Cruising recommendations?

  • jtg.1961
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
      First, let me say that I joined MassBaySailors just a few weeks ago
      and am glad I did because there have been some very informative posts
      here!

      I have sailed on and off for many years, but never cruised until a
      couple of years ago when I took the Cruising and Coastal Passage
      Making courses from the Boston Sailing Center. On the course, we
      sailed up to and anchored off Great Misery the first night, went
      through the Annisquam the next day and sailed around to Rockport
      where we tied up at the yacht club and sailed home the next day past
      the schooner race out of Gloucester, what a blast! The next course
      was in October and was a 'blast' in another sense as we sailed up to
      Portland, ME on the leading edge of what would turn into a nor'easter
      and sailed back on the trailing end. My best memory of that trip is
      having the helm at 2AM surfing 12 foot following seas with a pod of
      dolphins playing in our bow wake and the wind really blowing!

      Now, I don't have my own boat, but did join BSC for the season and
      can take out boats in the 30' range.

      I am looking for recommendations from you folks on good 3 and 7 day
      cruising itineraries from Boston. I will have my kids (8 & 10)
      aboard on some of those trips, so I am especially interested in
      hearing from those of you with experience cruising with kids. On
      some of the other trips, it will just be me and some other single
      friends.

      Thanks in advance!

      Jim
    • larryrob
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
        Jim,

        Last year I cruised on my 27' Catalina down south of the Canal from
        Salem. On the way down I stopped at Plymouth, Brewers Marina. It
        was an easy sail/motor from Salem and the Brewers is a decent place.
        The real attraction, particularly with kids, is Plymouth itself.
        You can walk to all of the attractions from the marina, and can even
        see the Mayflower from were you are docked. Taking a dingy over to
        some great sand bar beaches is easy.

        This year I plan on returning (it's a great place to depart so as to
        catch the current change in the canal), but will probably stay in
        Scituate on the way back. I've been to Scituate a couple of times,
        on the land side. It will be interesting to do it from the water.
        Beautiful, although I hear a bit shallow harbor.

        Larry Robertie
        2000 Catalina 34mkII Sloop
        Ruach
        Salem, MA

        --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "jtg.1961" <jtg.1961@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
          No problems whatsoever with Scituate. Lots of moorings available, and nice
          activities on land.
          I also like to go to Ptown often. It is a nice trip, interesting places to
          visit, and one feels like doing real sailing.

          As far as Boston Harbor is concerned, a typical good daytrip would be to
          sail off to one of the many moorings off the islands,
          do a cookout and sail back home.

          Ahmet
          www.sailnomad.com

          > Last year I cruised on my 27' Catalina down south of the Canal from
          > Salem. On the way down I stopped at Plymouth, Brewers Marina. It
          > was an easy sail/motor from Salem and the Brewers is a decent place.
          > The real attraction, particularly with kids, is Plymouth itself.
          > You can walk to all of the attractions from the marina, and can even
          > see the Mayflower from were you are docked. Taking a dingy over to
          > some great sand bar beaches is easy.
          >
          > This year I plan on returning (it's a great place to depart so as to
          > catch the current change in the canal), but will probably stay in
          > Scituate on the way back. I've been to Scituate a couple of times,
          > on the land side. It will be interesting to do it from the water.
          > Beautiful, although I hear a bit shallow harbor.
          >
          > Larry Robertie
          > 2000 Catalina 34mkII Sloop
          > Ruach
          > Salem, MA
          >

          > --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, "jtg.1961" <jtg.1961@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I am looking for recommendations from you folks on good 3 and 7 day
          >> cruising itineraries from Boston. I will have my kids (8 & 10)
          >> aboard on some of those trips, so I am especially interested in
          >> hearing from those of you with experience cruising with kids. On
          >> some of the other trips, it will just be me and some other single
          >> friends.
          >>
          >> Thanks in advance!
          >>
          >> Jim
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links