"Good Run" boating movie

  • Doug Giuliana - SailTime
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 16 5:48 PM
      This new short movie (3:30), called "Good Run" was recently released by Discover Boating. I recommend that you give it a watch and pass it on to boaters and non-boaters alike.

      http://www.discoverboating.com/viral/youtube.aspx

      Celebrate boating!

      Doug

      --
      SailTime
      ...for the time of your life!

      Douglyss Giuliana
      President
      SAILTIME BOSTON
      Telephone: 617-899-6815
      email: dougg@...
      web: www.sailtime.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 16 9:16 PM
        More YouTube Sailing Vidoes;

        Check these out!

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 19 8:39 AM
            Great Item, but NOT for $169   wouldn't I be able to find one of these at PepBoys or RadioShack etc. that does the same for MUCH less?

          Blue Sea Digital Voltage Meter
          DC Digital Voltmeter Panel

          Digital Accuracy, Monitors Up to 3 Battery Banks.

          7-60 VDC voltmeter with three position switch for multiple battery banks.
          • Resolution: 0.01 volt DC
          • Large 9/16 in. LED display draws very little power (1.0 watt max.)
          • Standard size 2 3/4 in. meter face
          • Simple connection: 1 wire to common ground; 1 power wire from positive terminal of a battery; 1 sensing wire from positive terminal of each battery to be monitored to the terminals on the toggle switch
          • Splashproof front
          • Panel material: 0.125 in. aluminum

          It's here! Your new message!
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 19 9:37 AM

               12 Volt LCD Voltage Meter
            Plugs into 12 volt Cigarette Lighter Socket

            Digital Voltmeter, Plugs into 12 volt Cigarette Lighter Socket
            1044
            Digital Volt Meter

            This Digital Volt Meter helps you diagnose low cranking voltage, inoperative alternator or generator, loose drive belts, malfunctioning voltage regulator, system short circuit problems and other low voltage or high voltage conditions. Early detection of potentially hazardous electrical problems may save costly equipment.
            The Digital Volt Meter provides precise voltage readings and therefore can allow the pilot to detect a malfunction. This enables you to make ‘‘power down’’ decisions to conserve electrical energy for critical operations, such as flap and gear extension, and communications. An inexpensive solution for the safety conscientious pilot!
            • Powered from Your Vehicle's Cigarette Lighter Socket
            • Precise Voltage Reading in 1/10 Volt Increments
            • High, Medium and Low Voltage Indicator
            • Needs No Battery
            • Plugs into the cigarette lighter socket or 12 volt power port
            • Backlit LCD readout of battery voltage
            • Swivel face for easy reading at any angle
            ModelDescriptionPriceBuy On Line
            1044Digital Volt Meter$11.00Add to Cart
            View Cart

            [QM-100V] Quick Mount Single Hole Mounting Splash Proof 2-Wire Volt Meter
            • Single Hole Mounting
            • Perfect Monitor for 12 Volt Batteries
            • 2-Wire Operation
            • 4 to 24V d.c. Full Scale Reading
            • 12.5mm / 0.5” LCD Digit Height
            • Reverse Polarity Protection
            • Click to Download Data Sheet
            • Email us at support@... for tech support
            WARNING! In automotive applications or where an alternator is present and there is the possibility of a transient voltage spike it is recommended to use some type of transient voltage suppressor (TVS) to protect the meter.
            Click for Diagram.

            Price $35.86

            With: TVS Zener Diode, Part Number 80311 (an additional $2.50)
            Price: $38.36
            For quantities of 10 or more, contact factory for OEM prices.

            View larger picture
            Winning bid:US $89.00

            Ended:Mar-18-07 19:00:56 PDT
            Shipping costs:
            Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
            Ships to:Worldwide
            Item location:VAN NUYS, (SOUTHERN) CALIFORNIA, United States
            History:1 bid
            Winning bidder:pladams_504ih4( 107Feedback score is 100 to 499)

            You can also: Email to a friend

            Bill Scanlon <Catalina30Ruby@...> wrote:
              Great Item, but NOT for $169   wouldn't I be able to find one of these at PepBoys or RadioShack etc. that does the same for MUCH less?

            Blue Sea Digital Voltage Meter
            DC Digital Voltmeter Panel

            Digital Accuracy, Monitors Up to 3 Battery Banks.

            7-60 VDC voltmeter with three position switch for multiple battery banks.
            • Resolution: 0.01 volt DC
            • Large 9/16 in. LED display draws very little power (1.0 watt max.)
            • Standard size 2 3/4 in. meter face
            • Simple connection: 1 wire to common ground; 1 power wire from positive terminal of a battery; 1 sensing wire from positive terminal of each battery to be monitored to the terminals on the toggle switch
            • Splashproof front
            • Panel material: 0.125 in. aluminum

            It's here! Your new message!

            The fish are biting.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 19 10:29 AM

              30' Hunter Sailboat - $9500

              Reply to: sale-292767354@...
              Date: 2007-03-12, 3:14PM EDT

              First off, this is a unique sailboat. I purchased it 2001 from a family in Groton, CT for $14,500 and it’s been an absolute pleasure. Unfortunately, I’ve moved to Manhattan so it’s just not practical for me any longer. She is 100% ready to sale and needs nothing.
              The most notable feature of the Abaraxas is the interior (I apologize for no pictures). I upgraded the entire galley to beautiful Corinthian countertops (lighter than granite) and installed a small sized refrigerator (3’ tall, 18” wide). The refrigerator runs on AC when hooked up to shore power and works as a very functional cooler when not hooked up. The only trade-off of this modification was losing ½ of one birth, it was intruded on by the expanded countertop and refrigerator. It’s now a loveseat of sorts. She was originally designed to sleep five but now it sleeps four comfortable (six rather “uncomfortably”).
              The engine has been COMPLETELY reliable and starts every time without hesitation. I have had it serviced each and every winter and spring in conjunction with winter storage and launchings. For some reason I purchased a BRAN NEW Genoa late last season that has seen literally less than 10 hours sailing. The vessel has the best acoustical system I’ve seen on a sailboat. I installed a CD/MP3 player with separate amplifier and four speakers (two “all season” outdoor & two indoor bookshelf). She’s in great shape and has many little extras. I don’t own another boat so all the incidental lose equipment that is onboard is included (life jackets, lines, tools, etc.).

              The Vessel “Abaraxas”:
              Year: 1977
              Engine: Original Yanmar diesel 12 H.P., 1 cylinder
              Reduction Gear 2:1
              Prop: 13Dx10P
              Electrical system: 12v DC & 110v AV
              Charging: 35 AMP Engine Alternator
              Shore Power: 30 Amp Shore Tie
              Weight 9,700 lbs.
              Dimensions 30 x 10’ 2” x 5’ 3”
              Diesel Tank: 15 Gallons
              Battery: 2 Marine (1 cranker)
              Freshwater Tank: 40 Gallon tank
              Head: Manual
              G.P.S.: Garmin
              Radar: no
              Refrigerator: 110v AC
              Compass: Ritchie Pedestal
              Galley Stove 2 burner counter top
              Additional Equipment: Headstay Rolling Furling
              Sails: 2 Main Sails, 1 Genoa (bran new)
              Winches: Primary – (2) Barient #24, Service. Halyard – (2) Barient #16
              Anchor: (2) #1 – 16lb Fluke

              Please call or email (860-778-5511, ethan.m.madson@...) me with questions or to work out buying arrangements.

              It's in Boston and I will deliver it to anywhere within 4 day's sail (New York City to Portland, ME). I wouldn’t mind a final sailing trip...

              • Location: Boston, MA
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 292767354

              C&C 34 Sailboat-Diesel Price Reduced For Immediate Sale

              Reply to: sale-295726015@...
              Date: 2007-03-17, 4:59PM EDT

              Designed by the C&C design group. Fiberglass hull and deck with balsa core. Lead fin keel. Spade Rudder. Aluminum single spreader keel stepped mast. Wheel steering with Autohelm. Nine foot FG dinghy. One of C&C's most popular models, built from 1978 to 1981. Roomy interior and good sailing characteristics. Must sell ASAP due to illness. Price reduced for immediate sale. Pictures and more information can be seen at www.whispersails.org

              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 295726015

              Hunter-25 - $1500

              Reply to: sale-296004714@...
              Date: 2007-03-18, 10:17AM EDT

              This is fixed keel boat. it needs cleening and some windows panes (2). This boat is fast under sail.
              Call me 603-598-3119
              Kevin

              • Location: Pelham,NH
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 296004714

              19 ft. Sail Boat - $1200

              Reply to: sale-296073525@...
              Date: 2007-03-18, 1:01PM EDT

              (project boat) 19ft. Bristol Corinthian sail boat late 1970s or early 1980s needs new floor put in good hull sail are ok $1200.00 or best offer can Deliver

              • Location: Gloucester
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 296073525

              17' Sailstar Fiberglass Sailboat with trailer - seaworthy - $1500

              Reply to: sale-296068076@...
              Date: 2007-03-18, 12:50PM EDT

              Up for sale is a 17' Sailstar Fiberglass Sailboat with trailer. It was last sailed about 8 years ago, then we started a family and have not been able to get back out. It has been covered the whole time. Trailer has new rollers, and some other new repairs. Sail has been stored inside in the garage - well protected. Needs cosmetic work, but should be able to out and sail with it as is. Hull is in good condition, sturdy and sea worthy. Flooring of boat has some delamination of plywood and needs small repair. More pictures available upon request. Price is $1500 or best offer.

              • Location: Lakeville
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 296068076

              Compass Rose Boat Tables - $250

              Reply to: sale-296054423@...
              Date: 2007-03-18, 12:24PM EDT

              Custom orders or in house design. Exotic Wood Veneer Marquetry. Interior urethane or exterior epoxy finishes available. Solid Mahogany or Teak edges. Your choice of Hardware. Call Bill at 781 335 1997 Or http://customnauticalart.com/

              • Location: Weymouth
              • it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 296054423

              Plastimo Contest 101 Bulkhead Compass NEW - $145

              Reply to: sale-296007560@...
              Date: 2007-03-18, 10:32AM EDT

              New in box Plastimo Contest Compass. Bulkhead model ideal for sailboats. Can be viewed from inside or outside the cabin. Black with Red Compass Card. Includes outside cover. Never used or installed. Compare with West Marine price of $215 plus tax. Can send pix.

              • Location: South Dartmouth
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 296007560

              AMF 1981 Minifish 12' Sailboat *Like Sunfish* - $500

              Reply to: sale-295887445@...
              Date: 2007-03-17, 11:30PM EDT

              I bought this great sailboat last summer to learn sailing on. I had been looking for a 14' Sunfish or a Laser because that's all I kept reading about, but bought the Minifish because of its slightly smaller size. Having never sailed before, I wanted the ability to sail in slower winds than necessary for its big brother, the AMF Sunfish. It is a singlehander boat and a real blast when the wind picks up. I've cartopped the boat myself, but it is so much easier with someone else to help you. This does not come with a trailer. I'd say this boat weighs around 115 pounds. The sail, centerboard (daggerboard), and rudder / tiller are in very decent shape. The nylon hiking strap is frayed but is still very strong and definitely useable. I properly repaired a few weak spots in the hull last summer, gave the repairs a coat of fiberglass spray paint, and installed two deck plates / ports to air- and dry-out the inside. There are a few cosmetic fiberglass chips around the gunwales. Boat does not take-on any water. $500 firm.

              • Location: Plympton
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

              PostingID: 295887445

              Design And Construction
              Designed by the C&C design group. Fiberglass hull and deck with balsa core. Lead fin keel. Spade Rudder. Aluminum single spreader keel stepped mast. One of C&C's most popular models, built from 1978 to 1981. Roomy interior and good sailing characteristics.
              LOA:  33’6”                             LWL:  28’11”              Beam:  11’
              Displacement: 10,100               Draft:  5’11”
              Engine: Yanmar                        HP: 18                         Fuel: Diesel
              Ballast:  4100lbs                       Bridge Clearance:  48’6”

              Accommodations
              Starting forward there is a v-berth with storage underneath, shelves above and outboard, a small bureau, opening overhead hatch and a privacy door. Next aft to port is a hanging locker and opposite to starboard is the enclosed head with a hand held hot and cold shower.

              The main salon is amidships with a L-shaped settee to starboard (extends to a double berth), a straight settee to port with a centerline table with folding leaves. There is storage under and outboard of the settees.

              The L-shaped galley is to starboard of the companionway and the sit-down forward facing nav-station is to port. Aft of the nav-station is a generous quarter berth.

              • 12 Volt DC Ships System
              • Two 12 Volt Batteries
              • Parallel selector switch
              • 12 Volt Panel
              • 110 Volt AC Shore Power
              • 30 Amp Shore Power Cord
              • Automatic Battery Charger
              • Autohelm 4000
              • Knot, Depth, Wind, VHF
              • Three Burner SS Propane Stove with Oven (not as shown)
              • Deep S/S Sink
              • Hot and Cold Pressure Water
              • Large Top Loading Ice Box
              • Storage Outboard and Aft
              RIGGING
              • Harken Roller Furling
              • Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster
              • Full Spinnaker Gear
              • Stainless Steel Navtec Rod Rigging
              • Oversized Wheel
              • Seven Winches
              • Boom Vang
              • Whisker Pole
               SAILS
              • Mainsail with two sets of reef points
              • Roller Furling Genoa
              • Storm Jib
              • Bow pulpit and stanchions
              • Stern pulpit
              • CQR and Danforth anchors with rode and chain
              • Double life lines with gate
              •     Horseshoe Life Ring
                CALL OWNER: Michael Houle 617-504-7034 or fill out the form below

                1988 CS30 30 foot Racer/Cruiser Sailboat - $25000

                Reply to: sale-295632525@...
                Date: 2007-03-17, 6:08PM EDT

                Please help me. I have too many boats!

                The CS30 is a beautiful fiberglass sloop that is little known in the states,
                but is extremely popular in Canada. It is high-quality all the way, great design,
                super craftsmanship, solid layup and hardware. She is a fast and kindly sailer.

                Many items are new or recently replaced:
                * new lifelines
                * new cabin sole
                * newly rebuilt 18hp Volvo MD2002 diesel
                * recent mainsail
                * recent running rigging
                * recent head replacement
                * recent instruments.
                * recent rigid boom vang

                Some features are:
                * beautiful oiled teak cabin
                * Easily sleeps 6
                * Head with holding tank
                * Pressure water
                * Galley with large icebox and 2 burner propane stove with oven.

                This boat needs a little TLC to become a great boat for a couple or small family.
                It needs some repair at an interior bulkhead, and some ports sealed, and new dodger canvas.
                I have had an insurance level survey taken in February 2007 that I will share with
                serious buyers. The boat is currently in Rhode Island.
                All this for $25,000. The current asking range on Yachtworld is between $45k and $56k.
                The survey places the value between $35k and $40k.

                For more information:
                leave a clear message at: 888-251-3440
                Principals only please.

                • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

                PostingID: 295632525

                26' Pearson sailboat - $2000

                Reply to: sale-294328408@...
                Date: 2007-03-15, 8:05AM EDT

                Boat, sails, no engine. stands available $250.00. 1973-Fiberglass

                • Location: ri
                • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

                PostingID: 294328408

                1978 pearson p30 - 30 foot sailboat, almost everything is new - $15000

                Reply to: sale-293991361@...
                Date: 2007-03-14, 4:06PM EDT

                1978 pearson p30 - 30 foot sailboat, almost everything is new, New Navy Blue Main Sail cover, New Navy Blue Dodger, New Navy Blue Cowl Vents covers, New Navy Blue Winch Covers, new navy blue sun guard along the 150% Jib, New CD player and Marine speakers, New Chrome cowl vents, New internal cabin cushions, all teak has been renewed, New fresh water tubing all through out the boat, Updated chain plates. All winches newly cromed, 4 new ball bearing seacocks installed last summer to make opening and closing a breeze and 6 new life vests. 1 Full bathroom with shower, kitchen with alcohol stove. Also comes with a Main sail, 110% job and a 150% jib. Atomic 4 gas engine runs great, it has been completely taken apart and cleaned, last summer I filled the tank only once as I use it just getting on and off my mooring.

                Come see this great boat 'Carpe Diem' in action. It's up on land right now in Hingham, MA till May when it's put in the water off the Boston Harbor hotel.

                This beautiful Pearson P30 is a USCG Documented vessel being sold because the owners enjoyed sailing her so much that they decided to go one bigger. This P30 sails and runs great!

                The Pearson 30 was designed to be a formidable racer and excellent family cruiser. We've taken many trips from Boston to Marblehead and Gloucester and one trip down to Mystic CT through the Cape Cod Canal. This boat really is a great costal cruiser.

                If you are looking for a perfectly maintained Pearson 30 than this is the boat. This boat is complete and ready to be sailed in the spring.

                Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

                Dimensions

                LOA: 30' Beam: 9'6"

                Draft: 5'

                Engine(s): Atomic 4 Cruising Speed: 6.5

                Fuel: Gas

                • Location: Brookline - Coolidge Corner
                • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

                PostingID: 293991361

                27' Pearson Sailboat - 1989 - Excellent Condition - $18000

                Reply to: sale-293729081@...
                Date: 2007-03-14, 6:54AM EDT

                The Pearson 27 is an attractive design with the features of a larger boat. The interior is spacious, light and well ventilated. Owner's stateroom and head are located aft. Galley and head offer hot/cold pressurized water and the head has a shower. Sea Angel is equipped with Edson wheel steering, a fresh-water-cooled Westerbeke diesel, roller-furling, and recent sails. She is clean, well- maintained boat and is ready to launch. $18,000 or best offer.
                You can either e-mail or call Melkon @ 617-852-2216.

                • Location: Winthrop, MA
                • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

                PostingID: 293729081

                1983 Hunter 27 Sailboat - $12500

                Reply to: see below
                Date: 2007-03-13, 10:36AM EDT

                1983 Hunter 27 Sailboat. Very good condition. Many amenities including:

                ... RF jib
                ... New main and sail cover(06)
                ... Gray water system
                ... 2 burner stove
                ... Yanmar diesel
                ... Beautiful wood interior
                ... Nicely upholstered

                Sleeps 5 and is ready to go. Presently stored at Fay's Boat Yard on Lake Winnipesaukee. Great value at $12,500.00 Call Paul at 978-337-3691.

                • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

                PostingID: 293197681

                Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                Message 6 of 13 , Mar 19 2:06 PM
                  Hi all,

                  Being somewhat of questionable sound mind, I was curious that for that kind of investment, just how accurate is this meter?

                  Does anyone have that information?

                  Their web page specifies the resolution (.01 vdc), but that only tells me what digits are being displayed, and not the accuracy
                  (Generally specified in the form of +/- some % + / - some digit, and when the instrument advertises multiple ranges, then the accuracy is generally specified for each range as well.)

                  I would expect that for this kind of money, it should take a few dunkings, even immersions. Most DVM's won't!

                  Bob Early

                  At 11:39 AM 3/19/2007, you wrote:

                    Great Item, but NOT for $169   wouldn't I be able to find one of these at PepBoys or RadioShack etc. that does the same for MUCH less?

                  http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail.htm?fno=20&cart=11743225634269599&group=998

                • Tim Haibach
                  Message 7 of 13 , Mar 19 7:49 PM
                    Here is another option that has a few more features at $149. I have this on my wishlist this year. For my C27, I don't need anything overly complicated for the battery bank I use.

                    Tim Haibach
                    S/V "Harmony"
                    1985 Catalina 27
                    Currently- Westbrook, CT

                    My Blog-http://360.yahoo.com/c2csailor

                    always stay connected to friends.
                  • Tim Haibach
                    Message 8 of 13 , Mar 19 7:50 PM
                      Here is another option that has a few more features at $149. I have this on my wishlist this year. For my C27, I don't need anything overly complicated for the battery bank I use.

                      Sorry, forgot to add the link to the first msg.

                      Message 9 of 13 , Mar 20 4:45 AM
                           It's in Connectucut, Tim with your frequent trips there you may want to consider attending.

                          4  Days Only  March  29  =>  April 1

                           Who has gone in the past?  Was it worthwhile?

                        always stay connected to friends.
                        Message 10 of 13 , Mar 20 5:43 AM
                          Mmmmm

                            Not sure if I'm sold on this concept;

                           If your VHF Radio or GPS fail (or get out-of-date) that means you need to replace both ...

                          This is the one I like;

                          or

                          or

                          PRICE Shopping;

                          Standard CP180i GPS Chartplotter w/ Int Ant

                          Condition? New Retail Box

                          List Price: $799.98
                          Our Price: $388.55
                          You Save $411.43!

                          Stock Status: In Stock
                          Availability: Usually Ships in 24 Hours
                          Product Code: STACP180I

                          Standard Horizon CP180i 5' Color GPS Chartplotter with Internal Antenna

                          List Price: $799.99
                          Your Price: $389.99

                              Check this out, once they go "marine"  ??

                          It's here! Your new message!
                        • Doug Giuliana - SailTime
                          Message 11 of 13 , Mar 20 8:17 AM
                            Indeed there are many very inexpensive boats out there looking for a caretaker, but you need to be honest with yourself about the amount of time and money you are willing to invest repairing, maintaining, and upgrading an old boat in questionable condition. Many gain a great sense of accomplishment by working on boats; many would rather spend their time sailing.

                            Anyway, here is my addition to the list. A gorgeous Nordic Folkboat in fantastic condition. Check the pictures on YachtWorld. I am good friends with the boat's owner.

                            New Wave Yachts

                            PRICED TO SELL!  Erasmus, Americas most complete Nordic Folkboat is looking for a new captain.  Yes, this is the same Erasmus Folkboat that was based out of San Francisco from 1999 to 2004 and the subject of one of the most visited Folkboat websites in the world.  Her first owner purchased her upon his retirement and had her custom built ordering every available option for her in Kerteminde Denmark where she was built.  His website, documenting all of her upgrades and custom work became a resource for Folkboaters on both sides of the pond.  His loving ownership of her resulted in the following quote, "she is the cleanest Folkboat that I've ever seen" on her last survey from the same yard that built the first fiberglass Nordic Folkboat in the 1970's.

                            LOGO Take advantage of this opportunity to own one of these sailing legends. Whether you are looking for a great weekender or competing in an active fleet. Erasmus is the right boat for you.

                            Contact us for a showing or more details.

                            SailTime
                            ...for the time of your life!

                            Douglyss Giuliana
                            President
                            SAILTIME BOSTON
                            Telephone: 617-899-6815
                            email: dougg@...
                            web: www.sailtime.com

                            Bill Scanlon wrote:

                            30' Hunter Sailboat - $9500

                            Reply to: sale-292767354@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-12, 3:14PM EDT

                            Please call or email (860-778-5511, ethan.m.madson@ citigroup. com) me with questions or to work out buying arrangements.

                            Reply to: sale-295726015@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-17, 4:59PM EDT

                            Reply to: sale-296004714@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-18, 10:17AM EDT

                            Reply to: sale-296073525@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-18, 1:01PM EDT

                            Reply to: sale-296068076@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-18, 12:50PM EDT

                            Reply to: sale-296054423@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-18, 12:24PM EDT

                            Reply to: sale-296007560@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-18, 10:32AM EDT

                            Reply to: sale-295887445@ craigslist. org
                            Date: 2007-03-17, 11:30PM EDT

                              Reply to: sale-295632525@ craigslist. org
                              Date: 2007-03-17, 6:08PM EDT

                              Reply to: sale-294328408@ craigslist. org
                              Date: 2007-03-15, 8:05AM EDT

                              Reply to: sale-293991361@ craigslist. org
                              Date: 2007-03-14, 4:06PM EDT

                              Reply to: sale-293729081@ craigslist. org

                              Message 12 of 13 , Mar 20 8:56 PM
                                Nautical News @ Bostonboating.com
                                Local news brought to you by
                                Captain Lou's Nautical Talk Radio
                                "Massachusetts listens to NAUTICAL TALK RADIO with Captain Lou every Sunday morning from 11 - noon on radio station 95.9FM WATD"
                                Listen to Captain Lou Online Sundays  http://www.959watd.com

                                E-mail Captain Lou:  NauticalTalk@...
                                Tuesday, March 20, 2007      Read an article about Captain Lou (click here)

                                Read the 2006 Nautical News Top 10
                                click here

                                A) President Bush wants the United States aquaculture industry to expand in order to reduce our federal trade deficit. United States Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez visited the International Boston Seafood Show and told industry leaders that last year China and Asia supplied 90% of the farm raised seafood, while the United States supplied only 1 per cent. In order to make up this difference, the Bush Administration is proposing legislation to allow fish farms to be built offshore in federal waters out to 200 miles. This will be the first time in our nation's history that fish farms will be built in our oceans. Scientists have warned us that fish farms in the ocean would jeopardize the natural wild species, between the spread of disease and farm raised fish escaping from their pen and mating with the wild stock.

                                B) Three New Jersey men died while doing a penetration dive on a sunken Navy ship off of Florida's Key Largo. A fourth man, who did not enter the ship, survived. The three men who died were all advanced certified scuba divers. The ship they were exploring was the Spiegel Grove, a 510-foot decommissioned Navy ship that was intentionally sunk in 2002 in 133 feet of water, to make an artificial reef. Names of the victims were not released until their families have been notified. Two of the three bodies remain somewhere on the ship underwater. Police said this most recent accident brings the death toll for divers on the Spiegel Grove to six since its sinking.

                                C) NOAA Fisheries Service is seeking comments now through April 12, on the plan by Northeast Gateway Energy Bridge LLC, to protect marine mammals as it constructs and operates an LNG port in federal waters off Gloucester, Massachusetts. The agency has preliminarily determined the activities would have a negligible impact on marine mammals and is prepared to issue a permit allowing the company to incidentally disrupt animal behavior, but it is soliciting public comment beforehand.

                                D) I am sad to report that Gerry DiSchino, president and CEO of Hinckley Yachts of Portsmouth, R.I., died unexpectedly at the age of 50 years old. DiSchino was also this year's president of the Rhode Island Marine Trades Association.

                                E) An aerial surveyor sighted an injured right whale swimming about one mile southwest of Provincetown. Pictures taken of the whale showed a number of wounds on the animal's back that researchers claimed were caused by a "ship strike." Some said the wounds would cause the whale's death if infection set in, but so far the whale appeared to be swimming normally. Gregg Farmer, president of the Boston Harbor Pilot Association, objected to the term "ship strike," claiming that it was not a large freighter or tanker that struck the whale. He claimed that it was a smaller vessel that caused the propeller marks on the whale's back. Scientists also admitted that they didn't know where the whale got hurt, and think the wounds could be several weeks old. They said a few weeks ago, this whale could have been anywhere between Georgia and Canada.

                                F) The Coast Guard went to the rescue of a fisherman after he complained of severe abdominal pain. At the time he was working on a New Bedford trawler 100 miles east of Provincetown. A helicopter crew flew him to Barnstable airport to a waiting ambulance that then took him to the Cape Cod Hospital. At last report, the man was in stable condition.

                                G) The oldest trophy in sports, the sterling silver America's Cup, arrived in Valencia, Spain, the site of the 2007 America's Cup race. You might recall that Team Alinghi from landlocked Switzerland won the Cup in 2003, and they chose the port of Valencia as the venue for this year's race. Eleven teams will compete in this year's Louis Vuitton race, which starts on April 3rd. The winner of the Louis Vuitton race goes on to challenge the Swiss for the America's Cup, which starts June 23rd.

                                H) A 35 year old male passenger on board the Carnival Glory, a Carnival Cruise ship, jumped from his room's balcony overboard into the waters off Florida. A witness said he was drunk. The Coast Guard, as well as another Carnival Cruise ship, responded to the captain's call for help. The next morning, about 8 hours later, the passenger was seen waving his arms in the water and was rescued by the Coast Guard. He was airlifted to the hospital and treated for mild hypothermia.

                                I) And last on today's nautical news, the Captain of Earthrace, the powerboat that is trying to break the world record for going around the world using only biodiesel fuel, blamed bananas for giving him bad luck. For centuries, most mariners have been superstitious about bananas, claiming they brought bad luck on board. That was because in days of sail, bananas gave off gases that caused other fruit to overripen quickly and spoil -- a potential disaster in the days when sailors depended on fruit to prevent scurvy. Anyway, the captain of Earthrace said that the person who brought the bananas on board was a landlubber who paid to join the first leg of the race. By the time the bananas were noticed, the boat's propeller made of carbon, broke. Earthrace is now behind schedule as they make repairs in Panama.

                                Listen to the live broadcast of "Nautical Talk Radio" with Capt Lou Sunday mornings from 11 - 12 noon on radio station 95.9FM WATD in Marshfield, Massachusetts, and around the world on www.959watd.com.   You can also listen to the most recent show anytime during the week at www.nauticaltalk.com.

                                * Winner of Massachusetts/Rhode Island Associated Press "BEST TALK SHOW" - 2003
                                * Recipient of Joshua James Lifesaving Coin for public service from Commanding
                                  Officer Coast Guard Station Point Allerton - 2003
                                * Recipient of American Lighthouse Foundation's "LEN HADLEY PRESERVATION
                                  AWARD" - 2002
                                * Winner of Boston's Achievement In Radio "BEST INTERVIEW" AWARD
                                * Nominated Boston's A.I.R. "BEST PRODUCED PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM"

                                Never miss an email again!
                                Yahoo! Toolbar
                                Message 13 of 13 , Mar 23 3:40 PM
                                  FYI - Regarding the accuracy of the Blue Sea Model 8251

                                  "Thank you for your inquiry.  The accuracy of our meter in that range is 0.5% + 1 digit.  We check it against 0.1% rated Fluke meters at whatever room temperature is current on our production floor at the time.  Our Engineering department did not have ready access to a US standard that we could reference for this."

                                   Bob Early

                                  FYI - For my personal needs, I use a DMM I purchased at Home Depot (Greenlee, I think), and it has been accurate enough.