How to get a mooring around Boston?

  • oscardreese
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 19, 2007
      In the process of buying my first sailboat but need to get a mooring
      or slip for the boat. Would prefer a slip but I hear the waiting
      list is huge. Also, huge to get a mooring. I have a list of
      marinas in the area and plan to start calling but I am wondering if
      there is a better way... Couple of things to help clarify:

      - sailboat will be less than 26 feet (most likely around 23)
      - Areas can be as diverse as Quincy, Hull, Hingham, all the way up
      to Salem, Marlbehead, Gloucester. I live in Brookline so want
      something close to drive to with good day sailboat cruising.
      - If joining a yacht club is necessary to get a mooring or slip then
      great, but I dont require much... interested in sailing not the
      fancy club house. However, if joining a club... a place to grab a
      pint or rum with like minded sailors after a day of sailing sounds
      great.
      - Note - Cant trailer a boat. I dont have a car that could pull a
      trailer or a yard to put it in... live in a conda.

      Anyway, really new to the process so trying to get setup for the
      season. I dont want to end up buying a boat without a place to put
      it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I cant wait to get out
      on the water this season!

      Regards,

      Kevin
    • Doug Giuliana - SailTime
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 19, 2007
        Kevin,

        Is there a reason you are not considering Boston itself. Oddly enough, there are many other places where it is more difficult and expensive to get a slip than Boston (like Plymouth and Marblehead/Salem). I know that Shipyard Quarters in Charlestown and Constitution Marina also in Charlestown both have slips available. Cost will be about $137/ft.

        Doug
        SailTime
        ...for the time of your life!

        Douglyss Giuliana
        President
        SAILTIME BOSTON
        Telephone: 617-899-6815
        email: dougg@...
        web: www.sailtime.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 19, 2007
          I would suggest to anyone seeking a summer home for their boat in New England and probably across the country to ALWAYS investigate the option of a YACT Club over a commercial marina. I didn’t realize that Yacht Clubs are not like those satired in movies like Caddy Shack. Though some might be "stuffy" most are not.

          Below is a compilation of pros to belonging to Winthrop YC. But most YC’s are similar in expenses and cost structure. Go to ;

          The Web Site of "MASSACHUSETTS BOATING & YACHT CLUBS ASSOCIATION, INC."
          This is an umbrella organization made up of 80 YC’s in Mass Bay.

          MASSACHUSETTS BOATING & YACHT CLUBS ASSOCIATION, INC.

          http://mbyca.org/

          http://mbyca.org/Yacht_Clubs.htm

          Below is a 2005 e-mail I sent to someone explaining the coast of belonging to WYC;
          If you are at all interested in Winthrop YC read below;

          WYC is a HUGE bargain. It’s one of the BEST (if not THE best YC in the area.) And, it’s dirt cheap when compared to commercial marinas or even sailing clubs. It may be significantly less expensive to be a member of WYC AND own your own boat than it might be to belong to say Boston Harbor Sailing club alone.

          2005 Dues/ Fees:
          Dues $275.00
          Chits $100.00 (funny money in $1 denominations to spend at our Pub to promote its use)
          so in essence you get this $100 back
          Launch fees $180.00 (required by everyone who brings in a boat for the season and
          who does not rent/own a slip. Basically all on the hook for the season).
          Card key $5.00
          So $275 + 180 + 5 = $460 An unbelievable bargain in greater Boston, New England or anywhere.

          We currently have approximately 400 regular members. On average 180 to 200 bring boats in each year (owning a boat is NOT required to be a member).

          Up until "now" we have 142 slips meaning that approximately 50 to 70 people end up on the hook each year. The season fees, for these 142 slips, are $21 per foot. Compared to $100 t o$150 per foot all around New England, $21 per foot is a HUGE bargain/savings for long term boating (ownership).

          I said above "up until now" because this season we are expanding our marina by 42 new slips (4 more may soon follow) with plenty of room to grow.

          This is important, especially to new and junior (junior in seniority) members.
          Slips are allotted by club seniority. Up until now, the wait to get a slip rental for the season is about 7 to 9 years, based on the primary variable your boat length.

          We are NOT expanding our membership nor do we plan to in the foreseeable future. So, this expansion should greatly reduce the wait time (seniority) to get a seasons rental. The expansion by 42 slips is a 34% growth, therefore, you can interpolate that should expedite the wait by 34%, 4 to 6 years.

          Also, I’m explaining above the "wait" process to get a slip rental for the whole season. WYC provides TSR (Temporary Slip Rental). These are basically transient slips, slips belonging to people who’s boat is not occupying the slip they are renting for the season. I.e. early in the season (the club typically officially opens around May 15 and closes around Oct. 15), early in the season there are many empty slips until everyone has finally gotten their boat in for the season again typically mid June. There are also ample slips available to rent after the "summer" (Labor Day) is over but when there is plenty of sailing left, up until mid Oct. And of course during the season when people travel/cruise their slips are available for TSRing. I joined in 1999 and feel I have a pretty good chance of renting for the season for the first time this year, thanks to the upcoming expansion. But up until this year, I frequently got a slip when I wanted them AND TSRs are ONLY $7 per night !!! the hard times to get them are holidays, i.e. July 4th and Labor Day .. Memorial Day is NOT a problem because most people don’t have their boats in yet.

          Aside from the financial benefits of belonging there are to many to mention here …. Social aspects, parties, group trips, the Pub/Bar/Restaurant which is open like 362 days a year … Local knowledge, marine/nautical talent & skills … Youth sailing, adult PHRF racing, annual regatta’s and races.. Winter Wet Storage $10 per foot!!

          I am NOT representing WYC as anything other that an enthusiastic member who loves the family oriented yet adult (single & married) social haven. If you or any other sailor you know is seeking a new home port/marina/club etc .. send them to me!

          WYC Web Site:
          http://www.win-yc.org/

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 19, 2007
            Joe Houghton @ 781-631-9338

            Houghton Marine Service Inc

            MOORINGS AND LIGHT SALVAGE

            SERVING WINTHROP HARBOR

            JOSEPH HOUGHTON

            18 GIRDLER ROAD

            MARBLEHEAD, MA 01945 (781) 631-9338

          • oscardreese
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
              Originally I was thinking of Boston (constitution marina, etc) however
              the harbor is pretty busy and I hope to day sail the boat... it would
              take most of my day sailing time just to get out past the airport.
            • Gary Conley
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                Sounds like a mooring would be perfect for you.  Constitution is expensive - I am there now for the winter.  We just signed up at Boston Harbor Marina for the summer.  The rate is 110 a foot for a slip plus electricity - free parking however.  One extra really nice feature, apart from the fabulous views, is that Piers Park is right next door.  They have FREE sailing lessons for kids and many good adult sailing oriented classes as well.  As Bill noted earlier, a Yacht Club is a perfect situation and Winthrop Yacht Club is a really good one.  We have made application and are now waiting our turn to be considered for admission.  In the meantime we have enjoyed some great socials there as guests of other members.  We are anxious to become members - they are a great bunch of people.

                Gary Conley
                SV Bacchus

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                  Getting past the airport is sailing too :)
                  If you motor, it is less than an hour to get past the airport
                  I don't know where you heard that the waiting time is huge. There are slips
                  available in most of the marinas,
                  especially if your boat is less than 40 ft.
                  Cape Cod is a different matter...
                  Compared to a lot of other places, The Marinas in Boston have easy access.
                  If you want to jut go in and out, you can rent a mooring form Hewitt's Cove
                  for about $1800 (I think)
                  and sail around that side.
                  I don't like President's Road on weekends because of the wakes

                  The alternative is that you can try to join a Yacht Club. You need a
                  sponsor, and there is some waiting time on most of the clubs.
                  Ahmet
                  www.sailnomad.com

                  > Originally I was thinking of Boston (constitution marina, etc) however
                  > the harbor is pretty busy and I hope to day sail the boat... it would
                  > take most of my day sailing time just to get out past the airport.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Barry Needalman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                    I think Boston Harbor Sailing Club http://www.bostonharborsailing.com/ (not Boston Sailing Center) rents moorings near the aquarium.

                    I am at Boston Shipyard and Marina (East Boston) and like it very much.  While it has plenty of free parking, it is also an easy walk from the Marverick T Station.  The T access makes it easier to sail after work with office mates, etc.  Unlike many places, there is no difficult channel to negotiate.  You are sailing immediately after the breakwater.  Returning at night is easy.  It is 4 km to Deer I light via the small boat channel and 7.4 km to bouy NC at the outer end of the North Channel.  Rates are about $115 for summer only.  If intereted call Pat Gately at +1 (617) 561-1400.  She is at the boat show this week.

                    I was at Marina Bay in Quincy for a couple of years.  For me it was slightly less convenient, but has the advantage of nicer surroundings including good restaurants and no-wait access to the outdoor night club.  I think the Marina Bay price includes winter storage.  They may have openings because I got an e-mail urging me to recommend people.

                    On 2/20/07, Ahmet <SailNomad@...> wrote:

                    Getting past the airport is sailing too :)
                    If you motor, it is less than an hour to get past the airport
                    I don't know where you heard that the waiting time is huge. There are slips
                    available in most of the marinas,
                    especially if your boat is less than 40 ft.
                    Cape Cod is a different matter...
                    Compared to a lot of other places, The Marinas in Boston have easy access.
                    If you want to jut go in and out, you can rent a mooring form Hewitt's Cove
                    for about $1800 (I think)
                    and sail around that side.
                    I don't like President's Road on weekends because of the wakes

                    The alternative is that you can try to join a Yacht Club. You need a
                    sponsor, and there is some waiting time on most of the clubs.
                    Ahmet
                    www.sailnomad.com

                    > Originally I was thinking of Boston (constitution marina, etc) however
                    > the harbor is pretty busy and I hope to day sail the boat... it would
                    > take most of my day sailing time just to get out past the airport.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Gary Conley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                      Hi Barry,

                      We too just signed up with Boston Shipyard and Marina.  We will be on H-27.  It looks like the views are pretty spectacular there as well as the many other nice features of the place.

                      Gary Conley
                      SV Bacchus

                      > Originally I was thinking of Boston (constitution marina, etc) however
                      > the harbor is pretty busy and I hope to day sail the boat... it would
                      > take most of my day sailing time just to get out past the airport.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Tim Haibach
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                        Incidently,

                        I was just in Winthrop today to get my mooring permit. No waiting list! For a Catalina 27, excise tax was $53 and waterways fee was $225 so $278 total. I bought mooring tackle for $400 from a private party that was already dropped last season. I don't know what to expect to pay for new, but it was mentioned somewhere around $800. Then it's $175 per season to have the summer ball put on in the spring, and the winter ball put on in the fall. This fee may also include cleaning the first few feet of chain. If your mooring does get pulled out of place or damaged by ice in the winter, Houghton's will set it back in location.

                        Anyone is welcome to use my mooring this summer if I'm not there. I'm going to paint the boat's name "Harmony" on it. If you are planning to spend the night in the area, send me an email and I will let anyone who's interested know if I will be there or not for a particular day/days.

                        Tim Haibach
                        S/V "Harmony"
                        1985 Catalina 27
                        Currently- Westbrook, CT

                        My Blog-http://360.yahoo.com/c2csailor

                        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                      • Jim Claffey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                          Tim,
                          I'm planning on going down tommorrow for the same. I don't have my
                          latest Documentation Papers as they are shrink wrapped tight in the
                          boat. I'm hoping I still can get the permit. Those fees sound pretty
                          resoanble and should be about the same for my 28 footer.

                          Jim
                          T-28
                          Flying Cloud

                          --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, Tim Haibach <c2csailor@...>

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                              Without a permit, the Harbormaster will give a ticket to a boat using your mooring.
                              Almost exclusively, people who have a mooring in winthrop belong to one of the yacht clubs,
                              or are prospective members.
                              In order to get to the boat, you need to have access to one of the yacht clubs, or the marina.
                              Without that, it is pretty difficult.
                              As the harbor fills up, the parking lot is already getting full on weekends, and soon the town may decide to limit the permits to Winthrop residents.
                              Oh well ...
                              Ahmet

                            • Tim Haibach
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                                Well, my "lunch hook" option is still an open offer

                                Tim Haibach
                                S/V "Harmony"
                                1985 Catalina 27
                                Currently- Westbrook, CT

                                My Blog-http://360.yahoo.com/c2csailor

                              • Steve Mosher
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 20, 2007
                                  I'm in Salem with Salem Water Taxi, Its about $ 1100
                                  + waterway fees. This includes launch service to and from
                                  your boat.

                                  I was there last year and loved it, good guys, great attitude

                                  Steve

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 21, 2007
                                    > As the harbor fills up, the parking lot is already getting full on >
                                    weekends, and soon the town may decide to limit the permits to Winthrop
                                    residents.

                                    I don't think towns can legally restrict moorings to residents. Places
                                    with long waiting lists like Marblehead, and Falmouth are still open to
                                    non-residents. Although with parking restrictions the town can ineffect
                                    implement such restrictions.

                                    > Without a permit, the Harbormaster will give a ticket to a boat using
                                    your mooring.

                                    How do transient moorings work out if you need a permit? Also I've
                                    heard of people renting out their mooring for a season or part of
                                    sounds like you need permits as well.
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 21, 2007
                                      If you are a member of a participating yacht club, you can get a temporary
                                      mooring assigned.
                                      There is a loose criteria which the harbormaster applies to determine if a
                                      boat is transient or not.. (i.e. being there for multiple days etc)
                                      It you "rent" a mooring, you need to get the permit from the town, by paying
                                      the mooring fee and the excise tax.