Some good Sail Trainning & Boat Owner Service Books

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 10, 2007

      Hi,

      When thinking about some sailing books to read while awaiting Spring or some books to keep on board consider these books and authors;

      Two staple sailing and boat owners authors are Don Casey & Nigel Calder

      Coastal Navigation (U.S. Sailing Certification) (U.S. Sailing Certification) (Paperback)
      by Tom Cunliffe (Author)

      List Price:$20.95
      Price:$14.25 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
      You Save:$6.70 (32%)

      Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

      Only 2 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

      Want it delivered Tuesday, February 13? Order it in the next 56 hours and 43 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

      12 used & new available from $14.09

      This Old Boat (Hardcover)
      by Don Casey (Author) "In the pages that follow, I will try to provide clear and logical instructions for enhancements that can add to the pleasures of use and..." (more)
      Key Phrases: cleat stock, battery inefficiency, zipper assembly, Area of Side, Practical Sailor, Fine Line (more...)

      List Price:$34.95
      Price:$24.12 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
      You Save:$10.83 (31%)

      Upgrade this book for $3.49 more, and you can read, search, and annotate every page online. See details
      Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

      Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual (Hardcover)
      by Don Casey (Author)

      List Price:$59.95
      Price:$39.57 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
      You Save:$20.38 (34%)

      Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

      Want it delivered Tuesday, February 13? Order it in the next 57 hours and 11 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

      41 used & new available from $31.70

      Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual (Hardcover)
      by Nigel Calder (Author)

      List Price:$49.95
      Price:$38.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
      You Save:$10.97 (22%)

      Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

      Want it delivered Tuesday, February 13? Order it in the next 57 hours and 11 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

      49 used & new available from $32.05

      Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook: A Compendium for Coastal and Offshore Sailors (Hardcover)
      by Nigel Calder (Author)

      List Price:$49.95
      Price:$34.47 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
      You Save:$15.48 (31%)

      Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

      Want it delivered Tuesday, February 13? Order it in the next 57 hours and 5 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 10, 2007

        F.Y.I.;

        At the above link to SailNet's front page there is a nice picture of Boston's Flip Flop Regatta.

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 10, 2007

          Very good points.
          I have been through the canal at times, ... it is eerie... the lights on the sides show the way, but you are going into the dark.
          It was funny.  Once I passed a huge barge around midnight.
          It is important tp have 2 radios on, one on 16 and the other on 13. All larger vessels will announce their transit.

          Nonetheless I think that the Canal is safer at night than most other places on the ocean. You know where you have to go, and there are no lobster pots.

          The waters are relatively flat except of some standing waves and eddy's that can form.
          Just for comparison... say the canal is 5 miles long .. current runs at about 4 knots. Timing it right, you can do it in in 35 minutes at 5 knot boat speed.
          going agains the tide it will take you 5 hours !
          As Barry said, Since the tidal currents are minimal in Mass Bay, but significant at Buzzards Bay, coming to Boston, it is best to enter the canal about 1 hour before the current turns south/west. This way you will have utilized most of the push of the current at Buzzards Bay. Going down south, it is best to enter just at slack, or an hour after the current turns south. That way you can enjoy the ride out of Buzzards bay with the current.

          Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 9:55 PM
          Subject: Re: [MassBaySailors] Re: Early Season Crewing Opportunity- Sailboat Delivery Trip

          I brought my new to me boat from Mystic to Boston about the same time of year.  We all had a great time.  You'll have a good time too.

          Here's my advice.  Worth what you paid for it.  Probably not news either.

          1. Do not leave if the weather is not right for the trip.  Bad weather is what kills people on boats.  The marina will not kick you out on the 15th.  It's unlikely they will charge you either.

          2. You won't need reservations in April.  We called the harbormaster looking for a mooring.  We got a muffled laugh and told to pick up any empty mooring.  No fees.  Unless you need to go ashore, moorings are quicker than slips.

          3. The canal is only hard if you don't time your entrance.  You can enter about an hour or so before the slack preceeding the current in your direction.  There isn't any current outside the canal on the east end, but some on the Buzzards end through Cleveland channel.  There is not a lot of pleasure boat traffic in April.  Get a copy of Eldridge to plan your trip.

          4. Bring your own safety equipment (PFDs, harness, jacklines, handheld VHF, GPS, tools, fixit stuff).  Be prepared for equipment failures.  The autopilot wasn't working on our trip.

          5. Keep warm.  Warm clothes.  Decent sleeping bags.  Warming foods and hot drinks.  Make sure you won't starve if the stove stops working.  Don't run out of food like the racers; the crew won't like it.

          6. Be prepared to motor.  It is a delivery.  Days are shorter than summer too.

          7. Sailing straight through is tempting, but the canal must be timed.  I have never been through at night, but the street lights on both shores must light it up like Broadway.  Sailing at night can be fun as long as you are not too close to shore where the hazards are.  Entering an unfamiliar harbor at night can be less than fun in New England.

          On 2/9/07, Marvin Reynolds <CaptainMarvin@...> wrote:

          Hi Tim:

          You've gotten some good input, let me add my 2cents as I have made the trip many times and love going through the canal at 10Ks ground speed. In my opinion the roughest part of the trip will be Buzzard's Bay if you find yourself with the "wind against the tide"...pretty uncomfortable in a 27' boat. Don't know for sure but think your boat has only 20 gallons of fuel. I would carry a couple of jerry cans on deck and maybe you won't have to stop for fuel.

          Good luck. Captain Marvin, USCG MASTER 100GTons

          www.setsailyachts.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
            Tim, et a

            Hmm West Island, just outside and EAST of the West Island lighthouse generally has fuel, and may be easier to get in and out of, lets say New Bedford Harbor or Padanaram. I just don't know if they are open that time of year.

            Anchoring in Onset is also feasible and often used while waiting to transit the CC Canal. I've used Onset several times, and the only caveat on Onset is to heed the dire warnings about not taking any shortcuts coming from the main channel into the Onset one (G13 QG 35 ft . . . on my 2006 Maptech chart it looks ambiguous).

            Bob Early

            At 11:59 PM 2/8/2007, you wrote:

[...]

          • jelofson
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
              Tim,

              Why am I not surprised that you bought yourself a boat! You could talk
              me in to going along for at least part of the trip.

              Jeff
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
                In Onset you just have to follow the charts. It is sort of difficult to miss because you could amost walk over the lobster pots that are all over the outside of the marked channel.
                If there is strong current, which will be most of the time, you have to be VERY CAREFUL going into the channel.
                There are rocks on both sides, and you have to make sure that you oversteer, with full power.
                At times, I had to crab the boat at 45 degrees in order to make it into the channel. Mot a good time to sapce out !

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007

                  I second that!  Onset is not a place to space out, but its tempting b/c it’s really quite a beautiful nook.  My group at UNH has surveyed the bottom for our eelgrass restoration efforts in 2004/2005.  Plenty o’ rocks, and of course, you wouldn’t want to plow up all that wonderful eelgrass we planted!

                  -gregg

                  My Group-http:/ /groups.yahoo. com/group/ c2csailor

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
                    It also has nice holding and fuel
                    btw .. marinas.com is a great resource...

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
                      Ahmet, Great site. Its nice to see a pictures in addition to the charts.

                      This thread has been very helpful for me as well. I am planning my
                      first trip through the canal this summer. Tartan is having it's annual
                      rendezvous at Kingman's Marina in Camumet. It's nice to know about
                      Onset should I need to tuck in for abit.

                      Any suggestions on the approach to Kingmans'?

                      Thanks
                      Jim
                      T-28
                      Flying Cloud
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
                        Oh yeah...
                        There are 2 approaches, one from the south the other from the north.
                        The south approach is easier, but there are som shallow spots. So it it is
                        high tide, I'd prefer the south.
                        The north approach is deeper. However, you need to study the buoys and
                        follow the channel.
                        It is sort of winding around the north edge of the channel. It looks as if
                        you can cut straight in, and many do,
                        and many get stuck in the mud.
                        If you look at the buoys in the chart of Pocasset Harbor (13236) you'll
                        understand what I mean.
                        http://205.156.4.52/cgi-bin/EyeSpy.dll?MfcISAPICommand=getbrwx&img=D%3A%2FEyeSpy%2Fimages%2FOnline_Chart_Viewer%2F13236.axs&wsx=750&wsy=550&alx=4951&aly=4619&rf=2&buttons=%2Fcgi-bin%2FEyeSpyResources%2Fbuttons&alig=0&contenttype=image%2Fjpeg&eyespyc0029000145.x=71&eyespyc0029000145.y=32

                        If the above link does not work, you can go to my website
                        http://www.marinesys.net/MarineLinks/#mozTocId438171

                        or
                        http://www.marinesys.net/MarineLinks/

                        You go along towards the next red and suddenly ther is a green to you right
                        !
                        the GC "3" !
                        The channel off Patuisset is a bit narrow but good depth. Once you reach
                        N"12" you are
                        all clear.

                        Ahmet
                        www.sailnomad.com

                        > Ahmet, Great site. Its nice to see a pictures in addition to the charts.
                        >
                        > This thread has been very helpful for me as well. I am planning my
                        > first trip through the canal this summer. Tartan is having it's annual
                        > rendezvous at Kingman's Marina in Camumet. It's nice to know about
                        > Onset should I need to tuck in for abit.
                        >
                        > Any suggestions on the approach to Kingmans'?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Jim
                        > T-28
                        > Flying Cloud
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Tim Haibach
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 12, 2007
                          What dates would you be available in April? I'd leave the 15th or 16th and trip would be 4-5 days.

                          Tim