Some updated info on Celestial Nav & Bremuda Races, from Bernie Wideman

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2007
      Bill,

      We had the executive director of the race as a speaker at one of our (Points East) weekly seminars in Portland .... this was back in December. He noted that although the race had originally required all boats to use only celestial navigation, in recent years electronic navigation has been accepted. In fact, nowadays most of the boats in the race rely on "modern" navigational instruments. However, those skippers who choose to rely only on celestial receive a 5% reduction in their overall time. There's no requirement that every boat have someone aboard versed in celestial.

      That said, I think it's a great skill to have. I used to teach it in the Wells adult ed department as something of interest to boaters in the off-season. We used to have a great time standing out the beach at Drakes Island on clear, cold nights identifying stars and taking sights and then going back to the warm classroom and doing the sight reductions. I used to use H.O. 229. Do you use that or 249?

      Bernie Wideman

      BTW, since we do get people coming up from Massachusetts for our seminars, I'll attach a recent press release that offers dates and topics for most of the upcoming sessions.

      The fish are biting.