Re: [MassBaySailors] Adrift sailor spotted by rescuers off Chile

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
      Well there is a real-life drama going on right now.
      I read the web log of Donna Lange, a solo sailor who as 170 miles north of ken when he capsized.
      She saw the coast guard cutter go by her, and talekd to them. She herself is trying to beat the storm down to the horn. In her previous log, she had actually called for an Emergency for Ken.

      The closest rescue boat will be able to reach him tomorrow afternoon, not today. The storms are messing up the rescue plans
      All of this is at www.kensolo.com and www.donnalange.com
      Ahmet
      www.sailnomad.com (In Charlestown .. not Cape horn ! )

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
        Looks like he was rescued 6 am this morning
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
          Nautical News @ Bostonboating.com
          Local news brought to you by
          Captain Lou's Nautical Talk Radio
          "Massachusetts listens to NAUTICAL TALK RADIO with Captain Lou every Sunday morning from 11 - noon on radio station 95.9FM WATD"
          Listen to Captain Lou Online Sundays  http://www.959watd.com

          E-mail Captain Lou:  NauticalTalk@...
          Tuesday, January 02, 2007      Read an article about Captain Lou (click here)

          Read the 2006 Nautical News Top 10
          click here

          This weeks news.....

          A) Two U.S. sailors died after waves swept 4 of them off the deck of a nuclear submarine. A navy spokesman said the 4 sailors were attached to safety lines, which apparently broke. The submarine had just completed a week-long layover in Plymouth, England and was heading out to sea when the accident happened. British police boats picked all 4 sailors out of the water, but two had already drowned. The two survivors were treated at the hospital for minor injuries.

          B) Last week Governor Mitt Romney approved the construction of two LNG terminals off the coast of Gloucester. Now, fishermen are so worried about the liquefied natural gas terminals that they are planning to file a class action lawsuit. They fear that as much as 16 square miles of prime fishing grounds could be off limits because of safety zones created around the LNG tankers and terminals. However, some fishermen claim their lawsuit has more to do with the fish than the money. They claim that construction of the pipelines will wreck the habitat and change the migration patterns of the fish, and after the gas line is built, vibrations from the gas running through the pipe will chase the fish away. The state's Division of Marine Fisheries agreed that the proponents of the gas terminals probably did underestimate the harm caused to fishing.

          C) Starting the first of the year, Massachusetts State Police will have enforcement powers in federal waters under an agreement signed by Governor Romney and Coast Guard Admiral Timothy Sullivan. If state police find someone violating a federal safety zone or law, the officers will be able to take immediate enforcement action instead of having to call the Coast Guard. Other states in the Northeast, including Rhode Island, already have similar power. The increased maritime security role for state authorities is in part the result of the 2004 Maritime Transportation Security Act that President Bush signed into law to fight the war on terrorism.

          D) In a very close vote after a heated debate, New Bedford fishermen will go to Washington to try to secure a loan of up to $100 million from Congress to pay for a new buyout program. Their goal is to reduce the size of New England's ground fishing fleet. Proponents of the program say the buyout would allow fishermen who remain in business to make greater profits. Opponents argued that profits would not increase because the industry would be charged a 4 percent tax on landings for 30 years to pay back the loan. One younger fisherman said he abstained from voting on the buyout because he neither wants to leave the industry nor pay a tax on landings so others could retire. Fishermen nearing retirement age were in favor of the buyout because that seemed the only way they could sell their fishing boats and permits with all the restrictive fishing regulations in place.

          E) Federal officials are considering putting the white marlin on the Endangered Species list.
          Environmentalists said over fishing was threatening the white marlin, but fishermen claim the elusive sportfish is doing just fine. The white marlin is a popular recreational fish to catch in the Florida Keys, and an important attraction for Florida's charter boat fishing industry.

          F) Scientists believe they have developed new software that will enable them to locate the wreck of the USS Bonhomme Richard, which sank in the North Sea in 1779. U.S. naval hero John Paul Jones was captain of that   ship when it went down. It sank after battling and defeating a British ship during the Revolutionary War. So far, efforts to locate the wreck have been futile. The new software combines an oil spill pollution control program with software that uses tide, current, and wind.

          G) The Coast Guard has ordered all personnel connected to its computer network to take mandatory training on how to avoid fake e-mail messages that try to acquire sensitive data in a technique known as phishing, spelled p-h-i-s-h-i-n-g. Last month, the Department of Defense raised its security warning system a notch after receiving sophisticated threats to its computer networks. A Homeland Security official said that certain e-mails could be infected with spyware. From now on, any regular email document with an attached file is barred from opening.

          H) And last on today's nautical news, speaking of software, spyware, and phishing, scientists claim that fish communicate with each other, making all kinds of sounds and noises. There are more than 25,000 known species of fish today, more kinds than any other animal with a backbone in the history of the planet, and at least 1,000 of the fish species have been documented making sounds. Scientists really believe that the fish swim in schools close to one another because they are whispering.

          Listen to the live broadcast of "Nautical Talk Radio" with Capt Lou Sunday mornings from 11 - 12 noon on radio station 95.9FM WATD in Marshfield, Massachusetts, and around the world on www.959watd.com.   You can also listen to the most recent show anytime during the week at www.nauticaltalk.com.

          * Winner of Massachusetts/Rhode Island Associated Press "BEST TALK SHOW" - 2003
          * Recipient of Joshua James Lifesaving Coin for public service from Commanding
            Officer Coast Guard Station Point Allerton - 2003
          * Recipient of American Lighthouse Foundation's "LEN HADLEY PRESERVATION
            AWARD" - 2002
          * Winner of Boston's Achievement In Radio "BEST INTERVIEW" AWARD
          * Nominated Boston's A.I.R. "BEST PRODUCED PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM"

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007

            Sailing Anarchy
            Where the Status Quo Blows

            www.goetzboats.com

            www.jworldsd.com/landing.htm

            www.csi-composites.com

            www.epsails.com

            www.gul.com

            http://www.esse850.com

            WWW SA

            www.rocketboats.com
            www.tridentstudio.com

            www.bandg.com

            www.ukhalsey.com

            www.dotcodotuk.co.uk/secure/seahorse.co.uk/anarchists.php

            Lidgard Sails, New Zealand
            www.tboat.com

            www.h2oshots.com

            www.classactionracing.com

            www.boatpix.com

            www.westcoastsailkoting.com

            www.noviscomposites.com

            www.raiderboat.com

            www.sailinganarchy.com/purchase/buy.htm
            Get your very own Sailing
            Anarchy Gear. Just click on
            Buy It and you are in.

            www.sailinganarchy.com/purchase/buy.htm
            Get your very own Sailing
            Anarchy Gear. Just click on
            Buy It and you are in.

            www.mauriprosailing.com
            Article Seperator
Line
            Sail On, Son

            These are hard things to write and I'm hesitant to even do so, but I felt that many of you may wish to pass along your thoughts. Anarchist Steve Washburn's (Wash) precious 10 year-old son Paul passed away from natural causes suddenly and unexpectedly earlier this week. As a father it is impossible to imagine such a tragedy, and yet Steve and his family are sadly being forced to live it.
            Wash has been a friend of mine for 20 years, and a regular and insightful contributor here in the SA forums - who can forget his awesome Key West live play by play reporting? More than that, Steve was a dedicated and loving father who brought his sons into the world of sailing in a way that most of us can only dream. Take a look at their blog - you'll get a feel for the love. It is not often that I feel another's pain, but I do here and am quite saddened by their loss. Life can be so swiftly and unfairly cruel.
            It is in situations like this that our community, without fail, always shines so bright. Please take a moment to pass along your condolences to the Washburns.

            01/05/07

            Race Report
            2006 Table Bay Race Week
            Boats screaming downwind in South Africa
            While we know there are plenty of Anarchists down on the tip of the African continent, we don’t hear from them too often.  Like sunny San Diego, Cape Town is all about 'Year Round Racing and Partying.  They’ve got a hell of a lot more wind than us, but they’ve also got those sharks… DrunkenSailor858 filed this report with us, reminding us how great the racing is on the edge of the Southern Ocean and we’re going to send him some swag for his trouble.  Send us an interesting story from your neck of the woods, wherever the hell it is!
            Photos by Trevor Wilkins
            Cape Town threw its customary Sou’Easter at all of us for this year’s Table Bay Week in South Africa.  With winds up to 45 knots there was plenty of action and lots of breakages.
            The Fleets were small but any of the top 4 in both classes could have won.  Class 1 IRC had 8 entries including a Mumm 36 back from some big modifications, the new 54 foot canter Prodigy, and the Farr 38 AL defending her the fourth consecutive years.  Many of South Africa’s America’s Cuppers were back on holiday and most of the boats in Class 1 had one or two aboard, promising to make the racing tight and competitive. Read On
            01/05/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Under Build

            Taking Shape

            This is the new Jim Antrim designed 40' chined racer for So Cal anarchist Antony Barran. Antony has told us about the boat before (the latest report here), and will be doing another progress report soon. It looks like a pretty fascinating project and they get major points from us for doing something different and a bit on the risky side of the ledger.

            01/05/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Bright Light

            The very cool Morning Light project is taking shape. This is the all kid Transpac effort on a TP 52, sponsored by Roy Disney. Click here for the latest news and be sure to always check our The Latest button for more news stories like this.

            01/05/07
            Article Seperator Line

            AC Dope
            Jack is Back II
            It's true. At a morning press conference in London today, Sir Keith Mills of London Olympics 2012 fame, and a keen amateur sailor, announced he was heading the Origin challenge for at least the next two America's Cups. Let's hope they are better organized, and funded, than the last GBR Challenge led by the egomaniacal Peter "I'm Rich" Harrison. Click here for new Origin Challenge website.
            Since we took a little heat for yesterday's graphic from some of our lady readers, fair is fair and we give you today's male Union Jacking model. And, no, that's not a shot of a young Andy Green up in the Alps before he became a pro sailor and TV commentator.

            01/04/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Blu Lagoon

            Nothing much prettier than when a boat just looks right like this blu 30 does. There is a new smaller blu 26 just launched as well - check them out.

            01/04/07
            Article Seperator Line

            AC Dope

            The Jack Is Back

            The Union Jack that is, for the next America's Cup

            SA has learned that there will be a press conference with $erious people tomorrow in London announcing the formation of a British AC syndicate for the next edition. It has ties to the successful London bid for the 2012 Olympics, and involves top British sailors formerly and currently involved with the Cup as well as top GBR Olympians.
            The announcement is timed to preempt the Friday's start of the London Boat Show.
            Too bad the model above is not likely to be their syndicate mascot. But we knew it would get your attention. Even the stuffy Brits know that sex sells.

            01/04/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Race Report

            Ho-Ho-Hobart

            Sydney to Hobart, on the TP 52 Wot Yot, continued.

            The next day was the start of the race. Forecasts had dialed down from the initial heavy southerly to a more moderate (only 30-35) for the early part of the race and dying all the way down to Hobart. We started in about 20 knots from the south, planing down the harbor toward North Head behind the Maxi's and several of the bigger boats (including Quantum who had a beautiful set and planed over us before we got really organized). After exiting the Heads we beat out toward the south running ocean current. This current is much like the Gulf Stream, running at about 2.5 knots to 4 knots for the most part. As we approached the current line the wind became really unsteady (Bruce and I looked at each and both immediately thought of getting to the edge of the Gulf Stream) and were headed about 30 degrees. A tack to port and we were aiming down rhumbline, the majority of the boats in our area following suit. What we learned later was many boats continued straight out and caught a 4.5 knot ride south though in much rougher seas and more wind. These conditions were probably exactly the cause for the dropped rigs on ABN Amro and Maximus though I couldn't confirm with anyone. Whereas the southerly current swept them far ahead, the amount of easting they made negated a lot of the advantage. I'm curious as to whether the winners went out, I didn't stick around long enough to find out.
            As the sun went down we watched Yendy's, an R/P 55 that was our main class competitor and an upwind machine (physically she looks like a much bigger boat, when we tied up side by side in Hobart her rig towered over us), starting to sail away from us and we in turn sailed away from Quantum and the RP 60 Loki (though the three of us stayed locked together all the way down). Read on.

            01/04/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Black As...

            ...as in what is it? First correct guess gets a new Sailing Anarchy belt. Have fun.

            01/03/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Race Report

            Ho-Ho-Hobart
            Or A Seppo Spends Christmas Down Under
            Moose McClintock from Dimension-Polyant just did the Sydney to Hobart race on the Nelson TP 52 Wot Yot. He was good enough to file this report for us anarchist's. Enjoy.

            Ordinarily, I wouldn't have considered doing the Sydney Hobart race. My biggest aversion is that I have an incredibly bad time sleeping on boats; I like it dark, quiet and still when I sleep. The thought of pounding through waves for three days and the resulting sleeplessness, combined with a screwed up body clock from getting there, wasn't what I really wanted to do. However, the Hobart Race is considered one of the true tests of offshore sailing and I guess if I wanted to reinforce any credibility in offshore circles this would probably help. Combined with the fact that I had some business to do in Sydney and the ticket would be taken care of, it became less difficult to say no.
            To back up a bit, the manager of the D4 plant in Australia is Mike Green, an overwhelming personality who has done, I believe, 27 of these races. Along with his father Peter, who passed away in the early '90's but did around 38 of these, Mike and his dad are the only father-son team with over 25 Hobart's each. Needless to say, when Mike suggested I come do some work and then the race I had to consider it. Our ride would be Wot Yot, the Nelson/Marek TP52 formerly known as Yassou and Glory. Owner Graeme Wood had sailed last year on his Sydney 47 Wot's Next (the Wot being an adjunct of his business, wotif.com). Graeme moved up to the bigger boat but in an incredible act of generosity has retained the old boat and sponsored a youth team aboard the it as an extension of the CYCA youth program (the boat was 50/50 young and experienced old and was a creditable 27th in fleet).
            Besides Mike and Graeme, we had a very experienced group aboard, almost all of whom had multiple Hobarts under their belt, while the newbies amongst us were our 23 year old bowman, my good friend and boat designer Bruce Nelson and myself. The boat was delivered in October and immediately went through a re-fit to meet the grueling conditions expected in the race. Fortunately, my Laser frostbite competitor PJ Schaefer is an engineer at Hall Spars, builder of the rig, and his recommendations kept a lot of potential worries under control. The boat, originally built by Goetz in 2001 and modified slightly for last year's worlds, was actually picked because the Aussies wanted to make sure they had a boat that would stand up to the potential pounding of Bass Strait and Goetz's background of exceptional boatbuilding also went a long way toward easing any worries. Read on.

            01/03/07
            Article Seperator Line

            AC DOPE

            Angry Dragon
            A sneak peak of the dragon which has been painted on the bow of China Team's new ACC yacht, recently shipped from China where it was built, and which now sits in their partially completed base in Valencia. More to come, to be sure.

            01/03/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Anarchy Rules

            Team Anarchy sailed well to a class victory n the SDYC New Year's Day Race. The boat seemed plenty quick in medium breeze, and we sailed pretty smartly to beat a decent fleet of mostly larger boats. It would seem the Flying Tiger goes pretty well!

            Thanks to sdsailing.com for the nice shot above, and here's a couple of good shots of us going upwind and one of us downwind courtesy of Da Woody. Join the discussion in the FT forum.

            01/02/07
            Article Seperator Line

            Youth Movement
            This little dude, a seasoned 14 years old, is attempting to be the youngest ever to sail single handed across the Atlantic ocean. He's getting close and it a pretty compelling story. Of course a couple of questions arise - do you think his parents should let their kid do something like this? Pretty sure we wouldn't let Junior take off across the Atlantic! Whaddaya think?

            01/02/06
            Article Seperator Line

            SA Gear
            Large Battle FlagNew Year's Special
            Buy A Sailing Anarchy Battle Flag and get an SA canvas Gear Bag for free! Both items are of course very nice, and it is a hell of a deal. 2 size flags to choose from, shown at right is the Large flag (3' x5') and the Small flag is (2'x3'). This deal is only good while we've got the goods, so get on it.
            01/02/07
            Article Seperator Line

            New Year

            Might it be the year of the Tiger, as in Flying Tiger? This is a little drawing that Bob Perry did of the FT, and we have to say that so far we really like our boat. After a ton of prep, we are finally ready to race and will be doing so in the SDYC New Year's Day Race. We just don't know how fast it is and we'll certainly find out something! We'll file a race report next week.

            12/29/06
            Article Seperator Line

            Dominator
            Wild Oats crushed the fleet on elapsed time going to Hobart. An impressive win by an impressive boat and perhaps an equally impressive program. We wonder how the Alfa Romeo/Shockwave folks are feeling right about now? Picture coutesy Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race.
            12/29/06
            Article Seperator Line
            Channel Island

            Big Bumps
            Wow, we never knew a boat like Play Station had such a violent motion. Is this just a combination of the wind and waves, or are all the big cats like this? Btw, the big kitty is in Dago and it recently got a brand new paint job. I snuck in the tent the other day and grabbed this bizarre shot from the bow. That thing is huge! Whatever, it is certainly hauling ass in this video!
            12/29/06

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
              Read the Latest Sailing News ...
              (Previous newsletters are in the Archives)
              Printer Friendly

              SCUTTLEBUTT 2253 – January 5, 2007

              Scuttlebutt is a digest of major sailing news, commentary, opinions,
              features and dock talk . . . with a North American focus. Scuttlebutt is
              distributed each weekday, with support provided by UBS, main partner of
              Alinghi, Defender of the 32nd America's Cup
              (http://www.ubs.com/sailing).

              AT LEAST TWO CAMPAIGNS
              Any doubts the British public had about interest in the America's Cup
              have been quashed today with the announcement of a new British America's
              Cup team. At a press conference held this morning in London Sir Keith
              Mills announced he is to create a British Challenge for the America's
              Cup.

              The team to be named Origin will, according to Mills and Rod Carr (CEO
              of the RYA), comprise some of the world's leading sailors, boat
              designers and builders from the UK and beyond. Mills, who was founder of
              the Air Miles business, and who was appointed International President
              and CEO of London 2012 in 2003 - the company that successfully bid for
              the 2012 Olympics - talked confidently this morning about how he and his
              new team (yet to be announced) hopes to make history by becoming the
              first British team ever to win the America's Cup.

              It was revealed that Origin will participate in at least two America's
              Cups likely to take place in 2009 and 2011 respectively. However,
              despite spending over a year in the initial planning stages Mills said
              he was unable to divulge any information about the team, designers,
              builders, host club and location of team base. But what is clear, once
              the 32nd America's Cup is 'put to bed' in six month's time, team players
              will be announced and a strong base established in order to proceed with
              the next British America's Cup Challenge. – Yachting World, full story:
              http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20070004142416ywamericascup07.html

              QUOTE / UNQUOTE
              “It’s always been an ambition of mine to race for Great Britain, but
              like all the other sailors in this year’s America’s Cup, my mind is
              fully focused on racing with Emirates Team New Zealand in Valencia.” --
              Ben Ainslie,
              http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4041-2532361,00.html

              USING RAW COMPUTING POWER
              (Juan Kouyoumdjian talked to thedailysail subscription website about
              Volvo Ocean Race winner Mike Sanderson's new Open 60, Pindar. Here are a
              few excerpts from their story now posted online.)

              With his company's decisive win in the last Volvo Ocean Race, maverick
              designer Juan Kouyoumdjian is soon to see his first Open 60 creation,
              Pindar, launched in New Zealand for Mike Sanderson. Juan K is excited
              about the design - having developed a reputation as a rule beater
              following his work within the constraining IMS and the America's Cup and
              more recently the Volvo, the openness of the IMOCA 60 class is more
              suited to his fertile mind and we can expect a boat that will definitely
              be different, even if this isn't immediately evident from the latest CAD
              depictions of the new boat.

              Using raw computing power, Juan K's team ran 24,000 race simulations for
              different Open 60 designs over Vendee Globe, Transat Jacques Vabre,
              Route du Rhum and Transat race courses. The upshot is a boat that, in
              the virtual world at least, will only be slower than the VO70 upwind in
              medium to heavy airs. "Any other time it will be faster than the VO70,"
              says Juan K.

              She is anticipated to be one of the most beamy of the new designs and
              will have a chine, although the chine won't be as pronounced as it was
              on ABN AMRO One, where in retrospect Juan reckons they overdid it. The
              twin rudders on the new Pindar will be fixed as transom hung ones just
              don't work in Juan K's opinion and while the lifting rudder set up on
              the new Farr boats is refined it is too complex and, in his opinion,
              heavy to work up a similar system from scratch. – Full story:
              http://www.thedailysail.com

              GARY JOBSON ON TOUR
              Gary Jobson will be teaching 4 North U Tactics seminars this winter.
              Other top instructors will lead seminars in 20 additional locations.
              Tactics and Trim Seminars back-to-back, with top instructors plus books
              and CDs to take home. You can spend a lifetime learning to be a better
              racer, or you can come to North U and accelerate the process. Learn
              more. Visit http://www.NorthU.com

              COACH CAYARD
              While the racing for the Louis Vuitton Cup - the series that determines
              the America’s Cup challenger - doesn’t begin until April 2007, the
              accumulation of ranking points already began occurring in June 2005.
              Since Act 4, teams have been earning points that will ultimately decide
              which top four teams proceed to a Semi Final, with all others eliminated
              from further competition.

              So which team is currently sitting in fourth? None other than the
              hometown favorite Desafio Espanol, which made the surprise announcement
              three weeks ago with their signing of American Paul Cayard. A week
              later, the Spanish team received their newest boat (ESP 97), and are
              giving ever indication that they are determined to remain within the
              final Semi Final group.

              Like the skirts that hide the hulls, Desafio Espanol seems to use their
              language barrier to keep us gringos out. When the Cayard announcement
              was released, everyone scurried for their translators to learn the news.
              The team’s website remains steadfast in Spanish, so who better to join
              this team than the multi-lingual Cayard, who is nearly as proficient
              speaking various languages as he is in winning yacht races.

              Scuttlebutt caught up with Cayard during the holidays, where he kindly
              filled us in a bit more on his new assignment. Said Paul, “The team is
              fighting to be one of the four semi finalists; they are a good team. I
              enjoy the technical aspect of the America’s Cup and am looking forward
              to seeing where the game has progressed to in the last four years, and
              to helping the Desafio Espanol team understand what makes these boats
              tick. Reichel-Pugh are the principal designers, and I like to work with
              them.”

              On the timing of his appointment with the team, Cayard replied that he
              was asked to join near the end of the VOR, and has “committed to work
              with Desafio Espanol for approximately 30 days during February and March
              2007. My primary role is to help the team optimize their new boats, as
              well as provide general input and advice.” Regarding the possibility for
              his term to extend beyond March (racing beings again April 3rd), Cayard
              admits that anything is possible, but that it would have to be discussed
              later.

              Cayard is not worried about language barrier, commenting that “Spanish
              is the only language I actually studied in school…but that was a few
              years ago. My Italian is pretty good, so I usually end up mixing in a
              lot of that. However, I am told English is the language onboard.” Paul
              also has heard that English is coming to the team website soon, so as
              the skirts will drop April 1st for all teams, so to will the language
              barrier for the Desafio Espanol team.

              VIDEO OF THE WEEK
              This week's video was produced by Harken, who are celebrating their
              40-year anniversary this year, and have created a tightly edited
              celebration of 'all things sailing'. Footage includes landsailing,
              iceboating, scows, skiffs, offshore mulithulls, and pretty much anything
              else that floats and sails. There are also some pretty cool segments of
              winch machining and robotics assembly. The 6:07 minute video provides a
              handy reminder of how many types of sailing there is, and how much fun
              it can be. If you have a video you like, please send us your suggestions
              for next week’s Video of the Week. Click here for this week’s video:
              http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/07/0101

              SAILING SHORTS
              * Singapore has won the Optimist Team Racing World Championship, the
              first time ever for an Asian team. After an easy victory over Puerto
              Rico in Round 1, they beat successively the strong opposition of New
              Zealand and Japan before overcoming three times gold medallists Peru in
              the final. In the repechage following the surprise victory of the
              Netherlands over strong favorites Argentina, Germany beat Japan to take
              bronze. -- http://www.optiworld.org/ioda-news.html

              * Sydney sailor Michael Blackburn has added a sixth Australian Laser
              National Championship to his 2006 World title. Sailing on Hobart’s River
              Derwent, Blackburn, at the age of 36 qualifying for the Laser Masters
              (if he chose to do so) won the Australian Championship by two points
              from 22-year-old Tom Slingby with the title being decided in the last of
              11 races. Third place overall in the Australian Championship went to
              World Masters Champion Brett Beyer from Sydney on 33 points, but in the
              overall fleet standings that included international competitors, the
              Canadian sailor Michael Leigh placed third with Beyer fourth.. -- Full
              results: http://www.ryct.org.au/results

              * The International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS) and the Community
              College of Rhode Island (CCRI) will partner on an orientation program
              this January in an effort to strengthen outreach to current and
              prospective employees on training and career opportunities in the marine
              industry. In a January 10 orientation session, to be held at CCRI's
              Newport County Campus, both schools will overview training programs
              available for a broad cross section of individuals—from those with no
              prior experience in the marine field, to current employees looking to
              strengthen their skills in specialized areas. – http://www.iyrs.org

              * Goetz Custom Boats, which made a name for itself building cutting
              racing boats and America's Cup contenders, may soon have a new home.
              Officials from the Broad Common Road boat builder will appear before the
              Bristol Zoning Board of Review Monday, Jan. 8, to ask permission to
              build a new 43,000-square-foot plant at the corner of Broad Common and
              Ballou Boulevard. If it's approved — the plan needs a variance on the
              number of parking spaces provided — the business's manufacturing space
              will increase two-fold. Goetz's current home, which the business has
              occupied since 1979, is about 20,000 square feet. --
              http://www.eastbayri.com/story/323318840468338.php

              * A record turnout of 400 young sailors representing 89 teams from 30
              colleges from every corner of the country and 59 high schools from
              throughout California will be racing for the 22nd annual Rose Bowl
              Regatta Saturday and Sunday. Hosted by the eighth-ranked USC sailing
              team, this is the nation's largest combined collegiate and high school
              regatta, organized and conducted by the US Sailing Center of Long Beach
              and Alamitos Bay Yacht Club. Top-ranked Dartmouth will not compete but
              Stanford and Georgetown, ranked second and third, head a college lineup
              with nine of the top 17 teams racing.

              * JPMorgan Asset Management (JPMAM) will be the title sponsor of double
              gold and silver Olympic sailing medallist Ben Ainslie’s fourth Olympic
              campaign -- Beijing 2008. Ainslie will be competing in the Finn class,
              although his America’s Cup commitments with Emirates Team New Zealand
              potentially will not finish until July 7, which is after the ISAF World
              Championships in Cascais, Portugal -- July 2–13 -- a qualifying event
              for Skandia Team GBR sailor’s to gain selection to the 2008 Olympics.

              * On Thursday, Victory Challenge began its winter training in Dubai with
              Örn (SWE 63) and Orm (SWE 73). There are now 70 people from the team in
              the United Arab Emirates, where wind conditions in the Persian Gulf are
              said to be ‘identical’ to those which the America’s Cup teams can expect
              in Valencia for Louis Vuitton Cup, which starts on April 16. (Historic
              weather data shows there are few days when it is possible to carry out
              high-quality sailing training in Spanish waters.) The team’s new boat,
              SWE 96, is now ready for transport to
              Valencia.—http://www.victorychallenge.com

              EIGHT BELLS
              Wallace Toby Emmett Tobin III, passed away peacefully on Dec. 31, 2006,
              after a valiant struggle with brain cancer. An avid and passionate
              sailor since childhood, he was the youngest amateur to sail in the 1958
              America's Cup defense aboard Columbia, with such sailing legends as Olin
              and Rod Stephens and Halsey Herreshoff. Tobin's experience catapulted
              him into sailing in major ocean races - Bermuda and Europe on Windrose
              and Good News with Jakob Isbrandtsen, the Admiral's Cup series with
              Jakob, followed by another on Figaro III with Bill Snaith. He
              participated in two more America's Cup races aboard Intrepid in 1967 and
              Valiant in 1970. According to his colleagues, his skills as a navigator
              were unparalleled.

              Tobin served with great dedication as an overseer of Sea Education
              Association, contributing his knowledge to the safety of the
              sail-training vessels; as a board member of American Friends of
              Cambridge University; and as a member of the Fales Committee at the U.S.
              Naval Academy, which supports the sailing program there. He was also an
              avid supporter of the sailing program at Yale Corinthian Yacht Club. He
              has been an active sailor with his Hood 37, Elizabeth, and since 2001, a
              McCurdy & Rhodes 46, Froya. In retirement, he indulged his passion for
              sailing by delivering friends' boats to the Caribbean and back, as well
              as summer cruising and racing in the Gulf of Maine aboard his cherished
              Froya. Condolences can be expressed at
              http://www.brackettfuneralhome.com -- Marcy Trenholm

              WINNING MORE THAN THE WORLDS
              Doyle Sailmakers is proud that Jud Smith won the 2006 Etchells Worlds
              using Doyle sails. But we are most proud of who Jud is. In words from
              voting sailors in the Scuttlebutt poll for Yachtsman of the Year: "He
              ...inspires everyone who sails with him and against him... and will help
              anyone at anytime tune a boat, tell exactly why he did what he did on
              any given day, and all around help(s) fellow racers." "Simply put, one
              of the finest people you will ever meet." For more:
              http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/polls/06/1217

              LETTERS TO THE CURMUDGEON
              Letters selected for publication must include the writer's name, and may
              be edited for clarity or simplicity (letters shall be no longer than 250
              words). You only get one letter per subject, so give it your best shot,
              don't whine if others disagree, and save your bashing and personal
              attacks for elsewhere. As an alternative, a more open environment for
              discussion is available on the Scuttlebutt Forum.

              -- Scuttlebutt Letters: editor@...
              -- Scuttlebutt Forum: http://sailingscuttlebutt.com/forum

              * From Bruce Bates: Is it just me being a Curmudgeon (II)? Or am I the
              only one who thinks sending a bunch of High School kids on a long ocean
              race alone is not a swell idea? I have sailed all over the world in many
              ocean races and cruised extensively and I have found when the going gets
              really rough offshore nothing beats having someone (calmly competent)
              aboard who really knows (from experience) what's going on. I have been
              in a Bermuda Race where hot shot one design sailors totally freak out in
              a storm. Who are these kids going to rely on if the bleep really hits
              the fan? Are their fathers and mothers going to trail them in another TP
              52 like the British kid sailing from Gibraltar to Antigua?

              * From G. H. Schirtzinger: With regards to Robyn Riley's comment on
              abandoning the Sydney-Hobart race because it is too dangerous, then what
              else, following that line of reasoning, shall we also abandon? Sailing
              in rain might catch someone their death via pneumonia. Not to make light
              of the losses, but who is Robyn to decide for Mike Freebairn that the
              loss of Koomooloo is a "total waste"? If Robyn had money or his neck on
              the table, I would be more understanding. However, she didn't. She is a
              watcher, not a doer. Everything is too hard for watchers. That is why
              they watch.

              * From Richard Clark: (Re Guy Doran’s rant): I am reading W.H.Murray's
              Rob Roy McGregor, for those of us with Scottish blood coursing through
              our veins, this is our heritage, this is who we are. Kilt wearing, caber
              raising/ tossing, whusky swilling warriors :) In New Zealand even the
              'Woman' are acknowledging they have made "wusses" of men. We have
              'Women' as Prime Minister, ex-Govenor General, Attorney General and
              more, is it a better country than when the men ran it, violence is up,
              binge drinking is rampant and we even sank our America's Cup Boat last
              go round, my jury rests. I respect Robyns right to her opinion but ask
              her to respect the right of those who go to sea in ships.

              * From Bob Leslie: As an expat Aussie, after reading the article by
              Robyn Riley I'm just sick. In the land of "She'll be right, Mate! " and
              " No Problem Sport " we have this reporter suggesting we shut down our
              race to Hobart. I'm just sick. Finally the attitude of "It's too
              dangerous, please stop," has seeped into the Aussie psyche.

              * From Scott Simmons (Regarding "Sinking the silly Race"): The taxpayers
              of Australia are getting value for their money spent on providing SAR
              for this supposed silly race. For every dollar spent they are receiving
              it back ten fold on free publicity. The City's of Sydney and Hobart reap
              the benefits of the privileged few that yes want to and volunteer to
              race in these conditions. If one could make an argument for canceling
              this race then they must order a world wide band on mountaineering,
              parachuting, surfing, etc.... If a risk to life or limb is involved or
              the chance that the taxpayers will have to provide any resources all
              superfluous sports should be canceled. We could all start playing
              shuffle board. We just had our club's new years day hot rum race and
              although not quite as existing as the Sydney-to- Hobart it was still and
              adrenaline rush for all involved and we could only wish to get that type
              of publicity. I'm sure the chamber of commerce would luv that. Maybe
              next year we will sink a boat or two during the race (as long as its not
              my beloved Kirby 30 Strawberry Express).

              * From Roger Dobronyi: I am not a sailor yet, or a soldier, but I am a
              taxpayer. I don't feel that any sport should be subsidized by the
              government. I also don't believe that a race should be shut down simply
              because it is dangerous. I didn't see anyone in favor of the race, come
              up with a solution so I will: If a person causes a forest fire they are
              responsible for all the fire fighting costs. Therefore if a sailing
              association is responsible for sponsoring a known dangerous event, then
              they should be totally responsible financially for any rescue costs! So
              if a person feels they are a soldier and needs to prove their courage in
              a sailboat rather than in a military uniform, then maybe the sailing
              Assn. could collect a $20,000-30,000 bond from each boat to help defray
              rescue costs.

              * From Bill Elmer (Responding to Mr. Fleming’s comments regarding Orange
              Bowl): As a parent that travels from Seattle to Florida for Orange Bowl,
              we have two basic goals, one to enjoy the area, and two, see to it that
              our Opti sailor gets as much large fleet experience as possible
              (difficult on the west coast) to prepare for various large regatta’s as
              the year progresses. We have found that since the regatta is always the
              week between Christmas and New Year that arriving early and doing a
              “clinic” the week before if school/job permits, and then enjoying a
              three day Christmas holiday in the area before the start of the regatta
              works well for us. We would not support a lay day in the middle of the
              regatta as it would limit the experience part that does a pretty good
              job mimicking the future hard core regattas.

              * From Ted Jones: I am shocked and saddened by Peter Lorson’s passing as
              reported in Scuttlebutt. My heartfelt condolences go out to Pete's
              widow, Sally, and their children and grandchildren. Our paths have
              crossed infrequently, but I know that a finer gentleman sailor than Pete
              Lorson never lived.

              CURMUDGEON’S OBSERVATION
              “We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
              the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
              that is not true." - Robert Wilensky

              Special thanks to North U and Doyle Sailmakers.

              Scuttlebutt is also supported by UBS, main partner of Alinghi, the

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
                If you missed this link embedded within the Scuttlebutt Page

                a very cool Sailing (& self promoting) Harken  YouTube Video;

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
                  If you have not been to this site is very cool;

                  Check it out!

                  Sea Tow Boston HarborCam

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007

                    Should we expect this warm weather phenomenon to have a ripple effect into our Spring and Summer?  I don't know but I THINK I hope so.

                    I am NOT sold hook-line-and-sinker on Global Warming,  I tend to think more that our weather patterns are extremely random and varying and more probably cyclical, cycling in time durations lasting much longer than the data we have available to accurately evaluate it.

                    Regardless, if you go to the above link you get current weather conditions and recent (24 to 48 hr) measurements of air & water temps, and wind & wave conditions.

                    Today, on Jan. 6th 2007 the Air Temperature out at Stellwagen Bank is 52 degree and rising and the water temp is 45.5 F.  Obviously we know that today's and yesterday's air temps are record breaking, but what about the water temps?

                    I look at this site occasionally and if I remember correctly the typical water temp at this time of year is like 37 or 39 F degrees.  So what might be the significance of the water being this warm now?  What if these temps don't go down much for the remainder of the winter AND (a big IF) our Spring & Summer are average to above average in air temps, could or should we expect our Summer time area ocean water temps to be 4, 5 6+ degrees warmer..  The avg. HIGH water temps for Boston Harbor (occurring around the 3rd week of August) is about 68 degrees, wouldn't it be nice to get 73 or 74 degree water temps out at the Harbor Islands so our Summer swimming (scuba diving) would be that much more comfortable.

                    Selfish weather wishes I know!

                    Station 44029 - Buoy A0102 - Mass. Bay/Stellwagen

                    Station 44029
                    Owned and maintained by Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System
                    2-meter discus buoy
                    42.52 N 70.57 W (42°31'12" N 70°34'12" W)

                    Site elevation: sea level
                    Air temp height: 3.0 m above site elevation
                    Anemometer height: 4.0 m above site elevation
                    Sea temp depth: 1 m below mean sea level
                    Caution: Right whales may be active in northeast waters year-round. NOAA recommends vessels reduce speeds below 10 knots, when consistent with safe navigation. For latest sightings, go to: http://rwhalesightings.nefsc.noaa.gov/

                    Conditions at 44029 as of
                    (11:04 am EST)
                    1604 GMT on 01/06/2007:

                    Click on the graph icon in the table below to see a time series plot of the last five days of that observation.
                    5-day plot
- Wind DirectionWind Direction (WDIR):SSW ( 200 deg true )
                    5-day plot - Wind SpeedWind Speed (WSPD):13.6 kts
                    5-day plot - Wind GustWind Gust (GST):15.5 kts
                    5-day plot - Wave HeightWave Height (WVHT):2.3 ft
                    5-day plot - Dominant Wave PeriodDominant Wave Period (DPD):4 sec
                    5-day plot - Atmospheric PressureAtmospheric Pressure (PRES):29.55 in
                    5-day plot - Pressure TendencyPressure Tendency (PTDY):-0.09 in ( Falling Rapidly )
                    5-day plot - Air TemperatureAir Temperature (ATMP):52.0 °F
                    5-day plot - Water TemperatureWater Temperature (WTMP):45.5 °F
                    5-day plot - SalinitySalinity (SAL):32.10
                    5-day plot - VisibilityVisibility (VIS) (0 to 1.9 mi):1.6 mi
                    5-day plot - Wind ChillWind Chill (CHILL):47.1 °F

                    http://mail.yahoo.com