Caribbean 1500 Cup / Where are they NOW

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006

      Something to think about for the future !!

      Caribbean 1500 Cup
      Where are they NOW :

      http://www.carib1500.com/2006c1500positions.htm

      http://www.carib1500.com/c1500/index.htm

      http://www.carib1500.com/2006c1500positions.htm

      http://www.sailr.com/news39344.html

      http://www.carib1500.com/

      Caribbean 1500 Cup
      Event: Caribbean 1500 Cup Dates: 06/Nov/06 - Host Club: Bluewater Yachting Center Location: Hampton, VA, USA Contact: Steve Black | Email: steve@... Phone: 757-788-8872 | Fax: 757-788-8871 More Info: This cruising rally is held annually for boats over 34 feet.

      http://www.cariberesource.com/boating/boating.html

      Steve and Linda Dashew, whose articles and books about the benefits of high-speed sailing have been fixtures in the sailing community for the last two decades, broke the record for the fastest passage in the recent (2001)

      Caribbean 1500 cruising rally. The couple accomplished the 1,500 miles between Hampton, Va., and Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands, in five days, three hours, 42 minutes aboard their 78-foot, light-displacement ketch Beowulf.

      The start of the rally was delayed for four days out of respect for the powers of Hurricane Michelle, which stomped across the Caribbean during the first week of November and was responsible for serious flooding and numerous deaths in Honduras, Nicaragua and Cuba. Winds up to 125 miles per hour were recorded in Havana; these were the worst hurricane effects to hit Cuba in 50 years, according to press reports.

      The 12th annual West Marine Caribbean 1500 hosted 52 boats, most of which (excepting Beowulf) arrived in the Virgin Islands within sight of one another.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
        well, there is always the NARC rally organized by Hank Schmitt of the OPO
        I have been a member of OPO for 7+ years, and participated in some deliveries.
        They do sail from Newport to St Thomas annualy
        Ahmet
        www.sailnomad.com

        Event: Caribbean 1500 Cup Dates: 06/Nov/06 - Host Club: Bluewater Yachting Center Location: Hampton, VA, USA Contact: Steve Black | Email: steve@carib1500. com Phone: 757-788-8872 | Fax: 757-788-8871 More Info: This cruising rally is held annually for boats over 34 feet.

[...]

      • Marvin Reynolds
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
          Hi Ahmet:
          Think you mean St. Martin, not St. Thomas...and b.t.y. Hank has a
          nice Tayana 37 that we are selling for him. He will be keeping it in
          Shipyard Quarters where we will be looking after her.
          Marvin
          Setsail Yachts
          617-242-0111

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
            As most of us are aware now is good time to take or plan some boating related courses;

            There is no shortage of place too learn & train;

            Basic Boat Safety / Navigation / Boat handling / a Captain'sCourse (launch operator or 6-Pack) / Sea Schjool / US Coast Guard / On-Line / Travel combine OfShore Trainning ...

            I'll list some below, please feel free to ad your own faorites to this topic too !

            My personal favorite that I of course highly reccomend!!

            Boatwise - Instruction in Boating Safety, Navigation and On The Water Training
            72 Woodman Road
            South Hampton, NH 03827
            Tel: 800-698-7373
            E-Mail:
            captains@...

            Boatwise provides professional training in Boating Basics, Navigation, GPS, Loran, Radar, Captains License, Launch Operator License, in the classroom and On The Water training, all USCG and NASBLA approved. Boatwise offers Classroom Instruction, On The Water Training, USCG approved OUPV (6 pak), Masters and Masters Upgrade classes and USCG approved Launch Operator classes all across New England. They also provide private tutoring at many New England locations and special group instruction across the United States. All instruction is provided by licensed captains.

            Boston Harbor Sailing Club - For Sailing Instruction and Group Sailing, Racing and Cruising

            58 Batterymarch Street #211
            Boston, MA 02110-3207

            Land classes: Boston Harbor Hotel, Rowes Wharf
            Sailing operations: The Private Marina at Rowes Wharf
            Telephone: 617-720-0049
            Email:
            info@...

            The Boston Harbor Sailing Club is a sailing school and membership club founded in 1974 to offer high level sailing instruction and, through memberships, make the continued enjoyment of Boston and New England waters accessible and affordable to the public. The Club now owns a fleet of 65 yachts and is one of the most prominent features of the downtown Boston waterfront.

            Boating Courses Online

            vspacer.gif (821 bytes)
            Coastal Navigation Course
            dividersCombination home study text/workbook, chart work and online information and discussion. View details. We are very pleased to announce that this course has been chosen for use as a textbook by the Faculty of Maritime Studies at Vestfold College, Tonsberg, Norway.

            Boating Tips

            Call A Captain - Listing of captains and offered services
            72 Woodman Rd.
            So. Hampton, NH. 03827
            Tel: 800-698-7373
            E-Mail:
            info@...
            Call A Captain helps boaters find licensed captains to teach you how to safely operate and navigate your own boat, or provide a great charter experience, or boat delivery service. Other special features include a search for crew members and job opportunities provided by marinas and yacht clubs. This information search is free of charge to interested boaters.

            The Landing School - Boat Design, Boatbuilding and Marine Systems School
            P.O. Box 1490
            Kennebunkport, Maine 04046
            Tel: 207-985-7976
            Fax: 207-985-7942
            E-mail to info@...
            The Landing School of Boatbuilding and Design is a post secondary vocational school specializing in skill education for careers as boatbuilders and designers. The programs offer a practical alternative to the pursuit of a four-year degree in marine engineering and to the various correspondence courses available.

            - USCG Approved Captains License Courses and Testing
            149 Ocean Street
            Hyannis, MA 02601
            Tel: 508-790-3400
            Fax: 508-775-1672
            E-Mail: info@...
            New England Maritime has been on the cutting edge of maritime training for the past 11 years. The school prepares students with Coast Guard Approved courses for: Charterboat Captain (6-pak), Master 100 Ton, Master 200 Ton, Basic and Advance Fire Fighting, Launchtender, Boating Safety, and STCW Basic Safety Courses. Courses are available in Hyannis and Marina Bay, Quincy or at your site. Unable to attend classes? Try the New England Maritime Homestudy Kit.

            - Learn how to safely and comfortably handle your boat!
            Captain Philip Cusumano
            Gloucester, Massachusetts
            Tel: 978-281-3023 or (cell) 508-284-7445
            Email: info@...

            On The Water Training provides professional, experienced captains for lessons, instruction and training in boat docking, handling, manuevering, anchoring, navigation and on-board electronics, including GPS, LORAN and radar. Call us or email us to discuss your specific needs and interests. We also provide lessons is the areas of boat winterizing and commissioning of power and sail boats.

            Salty's On-Line - C.F.A.I.R. Sailing School
            P.O. Box 604
            Rockland, ME 04841
            Telephone: 207-594-2891
            E-Mail: sailing101@...
            C.F.A.I.R. is a FREE sailing school operated by a group of people who were given the opportunity to "mess around on boats." Each of us learned to sail as the result of someone's goodwill. We are simply returning the favor.

            MASSACHUSETTS BOATING AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLE LAWS

            SAFETY NOTICES

            Boat Insurance
            What should I consider? Could I benefit from a certified boating safety course?
            Anyway you look at it, safety first is a good investment.  Allstate sponsors many campaigns that promote boating safety, including our participation in a variety of National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) Boat Shows each year.
            Let’s put boating safety first
            Allstate has been working side-by-side with the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Safe Boating Council (NSBC) to help educate our customers about putting boating safety first.  We’ve been charting a solid course to make sure you have peace of mind when launching your boat or personal watercraft.

            Boating Safety

            Boating Safety Courses

            Sponsored Link

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
              http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page2.htm

              Here Comes the Sun

              Talk about solar power! The transatlantic21 <http://www.transatlantic21.ch/index.php?id=106&L=1>
              association's solar catamaran will leave Basel this month en route for
              its
              transatlantic record attempt to New York. Seville. The journey will
              proceed
              via the Canary Islands and Cape Verde to the West Indies and then on to
              Florida. The boat will hopefully continue its journey along the US
              coast to
              New York, where "sun21" is due to arrive on 8 May 2007, having covered
              about
              7000 sea miles.

              Sun21 is a 14-meter-long catamaran powered exclusively by solar energy,
              and
              hopes to be the first motorized crossing of the Atlantic without using
              drop of gasoline. If they attain the record, it should show the
              potential of
              the solar technique for ocean navigation.

              Deal of the Week?

              This one was e-mailed to us
              this
              morning, and we thought it might be fun to start featuring more "deals"
              like
              this if possible. Beaters, repos, salvaged, whatever. So if you run
              across
              anything similar, send them in .
              This
              $1,000 1984 25' Pearson can be found here

              <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330049854576&
              ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1>

              . Good times?

              11/15/06

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330049854576&s
              sPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

              Ended: Nov-16-06 11:22:33 PST
              Shipping:
              Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping. Vehicle shipping
              quote is
              available. <http://das.ebay.com>  Sells to: United States, Canada Item
              location:     Meredith, New Hampshire, United States History: 9 bids
              <http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=33004985457
              6>  Winning bidder: antoine1396
              <http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/antoine1396/>  ( 1
              <http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=an
              toine1396&iid=330049854576>  )

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330049854576&s
              sPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

              1984 PEARSON FIXED KEEL SAILBOAT AND BOAT STANDS NO RES
              Vehicle Description

              This boat belongs to a friend of mine who no longer has a place to
              keep or use it. He has owned it for several years, but it has not been
              in
              the water since 2002.
              This Pearson 25 is a nice sloop with a decent sized cabin including a
              bathroom and some sleeping accomodations. It comes with only two sails
              that
              I can see. They are in good shape.
              The hull is in very nice shape with only minor surface scratching. The
              teak
              should be refinished. The mast and boom appear to be fine. All of the
              rigging appears to be there. It has a motor bracket for a small
              outboard
              kicker.

              The interior needs a complete cleaning.

              I would rate the boat at about a 6.5-7 out of 10. It is a real steal at
              $1000 however.
              The boat stands (which are worth about $700) come with it. We can load
              the
              boat on your trailer or if you choose, we can store it here for the
              winter
              for $400.
              As with all of my auctions, this boat is sold as is as seen here in
              Meredith, NH. There is no shipping offered on the boat, you have to
              pick it
              up here

              Sponsored Link

              Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 22, 2006
                Articles included below;
                Coast Guard saves sinking fishing boat off Nantucket
                A boatload of questions: Missing Hub man sends $O$ to cargo ship partners
                Man who tossed woman from boat denied parole
                Blast from the past: First hurricane hit Pilgrims in 1635
                Groups seek to create Atlantic marine reserves

                Tuesday, November 21, 2006

                Coast Guard saves sinking fishing boat off Nantucket
                By Sarah Kneezle, Globe Correspondent

                The Coast Guard rescued a 50-foot boat off the coast of Nantucket Monday that had sprung a leak and was taking on water.
                The "Susan Marie" of New Bedford began to flood Monday afternoon when it was 32 miles east of Nantucket. At 2:55 p.m. the Southeastern New England branch of the Coast Guard received a distress call from the vessel.
                At 4:52 p.m. a helicopter arrived on scene with a pump. After locating the leak, the "Susan Marie" and its crew were escorted to Stage Harbor in Chatham.
                There were no reported injuries.

                Posted by the Boston Globe City & Region Desk at 10:07 AM

                A boatload of questions: Missing Hub man sends $O$ to cargo ship partners
                By
                Dave Wedge
                Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter

                Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - Updated:
                09:31 AM EST

                An East Boston man believed to have escaped a hijacking by gun-wielding Haitian pirates is at the center of a mystery as he phones home from parts unknown, seeking cash for the return of a missing million-dollar cargo ship.

                The calls from Frank Bottino, a 60-year-old investor in the Florida Star, have left his business partners stunned and frustrated as they scramble to recover the $1.3 million vessel.

                Bottino's whereabouts are unknown. His last call - requesting $100,000 to get back the boat - came about two months ago.

                Lisa McSweeney, who invested hundreds of thousands in the boat with her husband, John, said they've exhausted their resources trying to find the ship.

                "We don't know where it is. Financially, none of us has the resources to go down there and see where it is," she said. "It's very frustrating."

                The saga of the Florida Star began in July 2004 when the 247-foot ship was boarded by armed rebels at a port in Miraguane, Haiti. The swashbuckling thugs shot the captain in the arm, assaulted crew members, stole cargo and took over the vessel, according to a report by the London-based International Maritime Organization.

                Bottino, initially believed by his partners to be dead, never responded to letters or newspaper ads. In March 2005, his Faywood Avenue home was foreclosed upon and sold at auction, records show. Boston police had no missing persons report on Bottino and attempts to reach relatives were unsuccessful.

                In February 2005, Bottino called other investors seeking money to retrieve the vessel, according to Robert Fedus, a Weymouth contractor and part-owner of the Florida Star.

                "He asked us to send him down $70,000 for the boat to get it back," Fedus said in a recent court proceeding. "We believed all along the boat was on its way back and that it would be recovered."

                Bottino's most recent known contact came about two months ago when he called another investor, Ronald Camarda of Hanover. According to Fedus, Bottino told Camarda he was in the Dominican Republic and needed $100,000 to get the boat out of French Guyana. Camarda did not return calls from the Herald.

                An official report on the piracy was made to the IMO by Columbian authorities in July 2004 but there have been no new details. Haitian officials had no information about the ship.

                Coast Guard officials also had no reports. Coast Guard records show the ship was last in the United States in May 2004, when it was docked in Boston. The only other Coast Guard record is from September 2003, when the ship was cited for several minor infractions in Miami.

                The alleged fate of the Florida Star is apparently not uncommon, especially in little-regulated waters in the Caribbean.

                A recent report by the International Maritime Bureau found there were 174 pirate attacks on ships in the first nine months of 2006. Of those incidents, 113 vessels were illegally boarded, 11 ships were hijacked, 163 hostages were taken, 20 crew members were kidnapped, and six were killed.

                Man who tossed woman from boat denied parole

                By Staff and wire reports
                Monday, November 20, 2006

                SALEM - The Parole Board has denied parole to a man convicted of throwing a Salem woman overboard from his sailboat 15 years ago, and put off his next parole hearing for five years.

                The Board denied parole last week to Thomas Maimoni, 62, who was convicted of second-degree murder for the death of Martha Brailsford, 37, whose body was pulled from the sea in July 1991.
                Blast from the past: First hurricane hit Pilgrims in 1635

                By Associated Press
                Monday, November 20, 2006 - Updated:
                07:43 AM EST

                NEW YORK - The winds whipped up to 130 mph, snapping pine trees like pick-up sticks and blowing houses into oblivion. A surge of water, 21 feet high at its crest, engulfing victims as they desperately scurried for higher ground.

                The merciless storm, pounding the coast for hours with torrential sheets of rain, was like nothing ever seen before. One observer predicted the damage would linger for decades.

                This wasn't New Orleans in August 2005. This was New England in August 1635, battered by what was later dubbed "The Great Colonial Hurricane" - the first major storm suffered by the first North American settlers, just 14 years after the initial Thanksgiving celebration in Plymouth Colony.

                The Puritans, after landing at Plymouth Rock, endured disease, brutal winters and battles with the natives. But their biggest test roared up the coast from the south, an unprecedented and terrifying tempest that convinced rattled residents the apocalypse was imminent.

                And why not? The transplanted Europeans knew almost nothing of hurricanes, an entirely foreign phenomenon. Their fears of approaching death were reinforced when a lunar eclipse followed the natural disaster.

                Once the weather cleared and the sun rose again, the few thousand residents of Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay colonies were left to rebuild and recover from a hurricane as powerful as 1938's killer Long Island Express. The 20th century hurricane killed 700 people, including 600 in New England, and left 63,000 homeless.

                "The settlers easily could have packed up and gone home," said Nicholas K. Coch, a professor of geology at Queens College and one of the nation's foremost hurricane experts. "It was an extraordinary event, a major hurricane, and nearly knocked out British culture in America."

                Last year, Coch used information that he collected from detailed colonial journals to reconstruct the great hurricane. The 371-year-old data was brought to Brian Jarvinen at the National Hurricane Center, where it was interpreted using the SLOSH (Sea, Lake and Overland Surges from Hurricanes) computer model.

                The result: The hurricane likely tracked farther west than was thought, passing over uninhabited easternmost Long Island before moving north into New England. Once clear of the colonies, it veered off into the Atlantic.

                Previously, researchers had believed the hurricane missed Long Island - which always annoyed Coch.

                "We started out doing this as a lark, and it turned out to be a very interesting piece of science," said Coch. "This information can be applied to any hurricane in the north. I think that's neat."

                Coch said the pioneers from across the Atlantic likely endured a Category 3 hurricane, moving faster than 30 mph, with maximum winds of 130 mph and a very high storm surge - 21 feet at Buzzards Bay and 14 feet at Providence. Reports at the time said 17 American Indians were drowned, while others scaled trees to find refuge.

                The storm was moving about three times as fast as the typical southern hurricane, and arrived in full bluster. Although it struck nearly four centuries ago, very specific details about the first recorded hurricane in North America were provided by the local leaders' writings.

                "The documentation was better than any hurricane until the mid-1800s," said Coch. "That's a story in itself."

                John Winthrop, head of the Massachusetts Bay group, recalled in his Aug. 16, 1635, entry that the winds were kicking up a full week before the hurricane.

                Once it did arrive, the hurricane "blew with such violence, with abundance of rain, that it blew down many hundreds of trees, overthrew some houses, and drove the ships from their anchors," Winthrop wrote. He detailed the deaths of eight American Indians sucked under the rising water while "flying from their wigwams."

                William Bradford, the leader of the Plymouth group, offered a similarly florid recounting.

                "Such a mighty storm of wind and rain as none living in these parts, either English or Indian, ever saw," he wrote. "It blew down sundry houses and uncovered others ... It blew down many hundred thousands of trees, turning up the stronger by the roots and breaking the higher pine trees off in the middle."

                The local crops, along with the forests and many local structures like the Aptucxet trading house on the southwest side of Cape Cod, suffered major damage. Bradford, in his account, predicted signs of the damage would endure into the next century.

                So brutal was the storm that 50 years later, Increase Mather wrote simply, "I have not heard of any storm more dismal than the great hurricane which was in August 1635." His father, the Rev. Richard Mather, was aboard one of the ships nearly sunk at sea by the ferocious weather - but he survived, along with about 100 other passengers.

                Others were less fortunate.

                The Rev. Anthony Thacher, his cousin and their two families were headed by boat on a short swing from Ipswich to Marblehead. The fast-moving storm smashed their craft on the rocks, dooming all aboard except for the preacher and his wife, who somehow survived the storm as 21 others perished.

                "Before daylight, it pleased God to send so mighty a storm as the like was never felt in New England since the English came there nor in the memories of any of the Indians," Thacher wrote in a letter home to his brother.

                Thacher's Island and Avery's Rock - named for his late cousin Joseph Avery - remain as geographic reminders of the storm and its toll.

                Coch said the most interesting news about the hurricane, more than 350 years later, is that storms can often follow the same track. And just a minuscule shift of the storm's movement in the area of North Carolina - "a fraction of a degree" - could send a hurricane up through Providence and right into Boston, the professor said.

                "We could have a catastrophic situation with national repercussions," said Coch. "If the track of a future Huricance moves 25 miles to the west of the 'Colonial Hurricane,' the dangerous right side could pass right over Boston and Providence. That's why we study old hurricanes in the Northeast."

                Groups seek to create Atlantic marine reserves
                Plan could curb N.E. fishing areas
                By Beth Daley, Globe Staff | November 20, 2006
                An influential environmental group in New England has teamed up with a group in Canada in a campaign to declare large chunks of the northwest Atlantic Ocean off-limits to fishing and other human activities to protect a wide diversity of marine life and habitat .
                Today, the Conservation Law Foundation and World Wildlife Fund-Canada will release a report recommending that marine reserves be created in about 20 percent of the ocean from Cape Cod to Eastern Canada's Scotian Shelf, and extending 10 to 200 miles from shore. The protected areas would probably include some of New England's most productive fishing areas .
                The groups have spent six years mapping the region -- 2 1/2 times the size of New England -- to highlight unique ocean habitats and a broad range of marine life, from microscopic phytoplankton to right whales, that are the most important to preserve.
                "Our goal is to protect biodiversity for the future," said John D. Crawford, senior scientist at Conservation Law Foundation and director of the group's Initiative on Marine Ecosystem Conservation. The report, he said, is "a beginning conversation -- this needs to be figured out in the public arena, in a public process."
                Congressional or presidential authorization would probably be needed to set aside a network of marine protected areas in the federally managed waters. Until now, Boston-based CLF has focused on developing the scientific tools to decide what to save, but foundation officials are planning a public and legislative effort to get marine protected areas designated.
                Senators John F. Kerry and Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrats, said that they have not seen the report but welcomed efforts to protect ocean life.
                The proposal is being announced as marine protected areas -- similar to conservation tracts on land -- gain a foothold across the nation, with several dozen existing in state and federal waters. In June, President Bush declared 140,000 square miles off Hawaii a national monument, prohibiting fishing and requiring permits for snorkelers and divers. California recently promised to ban or severely restrict fishing in a 200-square-mile swath, about 18 percent of state waters, off its central coast and officials there now promise to extend the network northward. If protected areas are developed off New England to the extent proposed, they would be one of the largest marine reserve networks off the nation's coast.
                Many scientists and state marine officials say such marine reserves are long overdue in New England, which was once celebrated the world over for its rich cod and other groundfish stocks. Some fish populations today are a small fraction of their historic levels and it is unclear whether they ever will make a full recovery. One recent study said 90 percent of the world's edible seafood could be gone by 2048 if fishing isn't more strictly restricted. Pollution and increasing ship traffic are threatening the endangered North Atlantic right whale, while scientists worry that unique seascapes such as cold water coral beds may be lost forever if they are not outright protected.
                In their report, the environmental groups give an example of what one 24,000-square-mile network of preserves could look like, with 30 parcels ranging in size from 100 square miles, on the eastern edge of Georges Bank off Cape Cod, to 4,741 square miles, a swath that extends from the northeastern tip of Georges Bank to the Scotian Shelf's southern tip. CLF's Crawford stressed that other configurations that take into account fishermen's livelihoods or shipping patterns could also work.
                The groups say protected areas would prohibit most types of commercial fishing, sand and gravel mining, and oil and gas drilling, and would possibly impose speed restrictions on ships in whale-feeding areas. While each area may be protected differently, CLF's goal is to have as little human disturbance as possible in each.
                Marine protected areas usually include a network of areas that allow some uses and prohibit others. Some, for example, ban any access by any person or boat while others will allow some kinds of fishing. While a series of smaller federal and state sanctuaries have been designated off New England's coast, most, such as the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, largely exist in name only with few, if any, restrictions.
                To highlight key areas to possibly protect, CLF and WWF-Canada scientists gathered all the government data they could find on the life cycles, habitats, and populations of phytoplankton, fish, whales, and other marine organisms. The group also examined seawater temperature, salinity, depth, and seafloor composition. Then, they used a software program to identify the areas that protected the most species and habitats, in the most efficient way so the least amount of ocean needed to be restricted.
                CLF officials say they used a 20 percent set-aside goal because it was recommended as a good target for marine protected areas in a scientific report by the National Research Council.
                Fishermen, many who are withholding judg ment until they see the report, said 20 percent seemed arbitrary. Most said they weren't against protected areas -- large regions of the sea are closed now to rebuild fishing stocks -- but they worry that so much will be closed permanently they will not be able to earn a living.
                "They have to be very careful not to close an area that is producing a lot of net benefit to the nation," said Vito Giacalone of the Northeast Seafood Coalition, a fishing industry group.
                If history is any indication, CLF's announcement is the start of a long and guaranteed controversial process. Protesters hanged the manager of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary in effigy when he began drawing lines telling them where they could and couldn't go in the 1990s. In California, the new restrictions on fishing in state waters took seven years to complete. In New England, with its large fishing fleet and vast fishing grounds, there may be even more to argue about.
                "Ecologically, this is a logical discussion," said George LaPointe, commissioner of the Maine Department of Marine Resources and a member of an advisory panel for federal marine protected areas. "But if the discussion is going to be productive, we need to include everyone in the process. How do you manage it? What are your goals? How do you police it? I don't mind a discussion of no-fish areas, but is fishing survivable [ elsewhere ]? That is going to be the big question."
                Beth Daley can be reached at
                bdaley@....

                Sponsored Link