Lightning strike - NOAA Faq reference

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2006
      Hi,

      A good discussion is underway on another sailing web site, and the thread led to three reference resources on Lightning: U of Florida where Dr. Thomson used to work, Dr. Thomson's current web site where he continues the discussion on the how and why some lightning damage may be reduced and the NOAA Website FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

      I found this interesting that FAQ on the NOAA site, which most interestingly supports many theories except one

      The one exception seems to be that ALL lightning strike damage can be avoided by using some sort of proprietary "voltage bleeder device".  The truth is that some lightning damage mat be minimized, so long as it is not a "direct" strike.

      http://www.srh.weather.gov/srh/jetstream/lightning/lightning_faq.htm

      It seems that Dr. Thomsons' research and the NOAA Faq are at least in step with one another.  And both debunk the myths to "lie down" to avoid being hit and the "cone of protection" afforded by the mast. But rather to "stoop down" (NOAA) and get away from all conductors. ( This was critical to me, as this is what was taught in the AMC courses several years ago and the "Cone of Protection" had been in the marine literature for several years. I don't know if it still is or not.)

      http://www.thomson.ece.ufl.edu/lightning/  (Florida EDU, has the video, 60 MB for 23 minutes rune time)

      http://marinelightning.com/science.htm (Dr. Thomsons personal site)

      Sorry if I seem to be belaboring the point, but it debunked two of the "basic truths" about mitigating lightning damage to people, and felt that others would benefit by the same updated information.

      Bob Early
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2006
        Thanks Bob, that is great info

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2006
          I agree Bob, these are great links.  Thank you!  I'll add them to our links section.

          I have some Word docs with info on Lightning.

          Go here to find them;

          If you can't find them please let me know.  Or if you would like me to send them to you privately as an attachment also let me know.

          Bill