Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Follow Up to the Follow Up re: Spectacle Isl. this weekend

Expand Messages
  • Bill Scanlon
    Hi, Needless to say, rainy Summer weekends are disappointing, it s even more so for this planned event. We have been intently watching the weather forecast and
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
      Hi,
       
      Needless to say, rainy Summer weekends are disappointing, it's even more so for this planned event.
       
      We have been intently watching the weather forecast and it doesn't look very good .... THOUGH it seems the worst will be later Saturday and early Sunday .. their MIGHT be 2 windows of tolerable sailing weather, for short trips to the Harbor Islands etc., early on Saturday, say 10:00 ish to 2:00 ish and later in the day Sunday.
       
      On Saturday, July 22nd, the USS Constitution will be at Spectacle at 11:00 AM to salute it, probably with a gun salute.
       
      Also, every Sunday there will be a Dixie Jazz Band at Spectacle from 12:00 to 3:00.
       
      So, we may still try to get over there for one or both of these and if necessary grab a close mooring or anchor and dinghy over.
       
      So please keep these option in mind for your own weekend plans!
       
       


      Bill Scanlon
      USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
      Towing & Sailing Endorsements
      Lic. # 1092926
      1984 Catalina 30
      "Ruby"
      Std. Rig  Hull#  3688
      Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
       
      Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse


      Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.
    • Ahmet
      Bill, weather.com says scattered thunderstorms, precip changce of 40% and 30% respectively. That type of a forecast ussually does not make me stop my plans.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
        Bill, weather.com says scattered thunderstorms, precip changce of 40% and 30% respectively.
        That type of a forecast ussually does not make me stop my plans.
        Looks like Beryl will be gone by saturday morning ??
        Ahmet


        Bill Scanlon <Catalina30Ruby@...> wrote:
        Hi,
         
        Needless to say, rainy Summer weekends are disappointing, it's even more so for this planned event.
         
        We have been intently watching the weather forecast and it doesn't look very good .... THOUGH it seems the worst will be later Saturday and early Sunday .. their MIGHT be 2 windows of tolerable sailing weather, for short trips to the Harbor Islands etc., early on Saturday, say 10:00 ish to 2:00 ish and later in the day Sunday.
         
        On Saturday, July 22nd, the USS Constitution will be at Spectacle at 11:00 AM to salute it, probably with a gun salute.
         
        Also, every Sunday there will be a Dixie Jazz Band at Spectacle from 12:00 to 3:00.
         
        So, we may still try to get over there for one or both of these and if necessary grab a close mooring or anchor and dinghy over.
         
        So please keep these option in mind for your own weekend plans!
         
         


        Bill Scanlon
        USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
        Towing & Sailing Endorsements
        Lic. # 1092926
        1984 Catalina 30
        "Ruby"
        Std. Rig  Hull#  3688
        Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
         
        Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse

        Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

      • Ahmet
        Subject: Second thoughts & Undecided about the weekend Hello, I don t think we ll know what the weather will be on Saturday and Sunday until Saturday &
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
          Subject:  Second thoughts & Undecided about the weekend
          Hello,
          I don't think we'll know what the weather will be on Saturday and Sunday until Saturday & Sunday.
          You know the saying "if you don't like New England's weather, then wait a minute" ...
          If you read my previous 2 e-mails you know that I've been painstakingly watching the weather forecasts.  I hoped to be able to make a reasonable judgment call about the weekend weather and its effects on the suggested weekend travel to Spectacle Island and then to share with you "my" interpretation of the forecast.  FAT chance ...
          I don't have personal e-mail access (the MassBaySailors Group) from work so I felt I should try to get "my" interpretation of the forecast out to you all and what "my" decision would be regarding our Saturday reservations.  I THINK the Spectacle cancellation policy is 48 hrs in advance therefore I was trying to make my decision with that in mind.
          NOW, after continued all day monitoring of the weather forecast it seems that rain will be about a 50% chance at most ...  Although I DID cancel our Saturday evening reservations, we'll continue to watch the weather and maybe attempt to overnight at the Harbor Island area for Saturday night.
          We may still end up at Spectacle or we might moor or anchor at Reinsford or Peadock's Islands and dinghy over to Spectacle.  
          While in the boat durnig the day we'll monitor the channels 16 & 71.

          Bill

          Ps  We will most likely be near & around Spectacle at 11:00 on Saturday to view the USS Constitution, then from there decide where to go to enjoy the day and speculate about the evening's weather.



        • Ahmet
          Uncle Sam just release a free on-line chart viewer which is much better than the MapTech site. It is great. I will put a link to my website
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2006
            Uncle Sam just release a free on-line chart viewer which is much better than the MapTech site.
            It is great. I will put a link to my website
             
            Ahmet


          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.