spam policy

  • Nathaniel Hanson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
      Hi Bill, I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but what
      makes the Blue Frontier post spam, but all the
      Brewster Island posts accepted and relevant to the
      group? I understand that this is your group, and I
      completely respect your right to run it how you like,
      but it seems a bit like allowing political speech you
      like, and not allowing political speach you don't
      agree with.

      Perhaps I'm misreading the situation, as I am not
      familiar with either the Brewsters group or Blue
      Frontier, other than what I've read on this newsgroup.
      But I'd imagine there are some members who agree with
      the Brewster group, and perhaps others who disagree,
      and I might also assume that there are those among
      this list's recipients who support or don't support
      Blue Frontier's agenda.

      Just something to chew on. Truly I don't mean to
      cause trouble, but wondered what the policy is about
      what constitutes spam.

      Thanks, Nate

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2006
        Hello,

        1. Below are the rules/guidelines of the Group. I’ve highlighted the portion of it that "I" felt crossed the line with the "Blue Frontier" post. I will spend some more of my personal time learning about "Blue Frontier".  What made me react so quickly was the "Ralph Nader" association and therefore the obvious political affiliations. If feel I was wrong, I will stand up and say so.
        2. I don’t want to get into a "debate" over whether my judgment of referring to it as "Spam" was justified or not, because this "debate" would also be contradictory of the "upbeat & positive" portion of the rules. Some spam is very obvious, some not, and others not meant to be, but is. When you think it "might be" it probably is. We have over 130 members, many very left leaning, many very right leaning and many in the middle, therefore, most any politically loaded post will generate disagreement, so "I" feel it better to stay away from them.
        3. Yes, I’m the creator and administrator of this group and therefore I occasionally need to make a "judgement" call. I ask that if any of you feel that my group-admin actions or messages are too harsh or incorrect, consider writing me directly, maybe one of us will then have a change of opinion and post a retraction.
        4. The political nature of the Outer Brewster Island was obviously directly & critically related to all of us who sail in MassBay, therefore, it was a judgment call on my part that was received very well, thank you all.
        A Massachusetts Bay (New England) Sailing E-Group Open to ALL who want to share (Read and/or Post) any topic RELATIVE to: SAILING; Sail Boats; Gear; Cruising, Group Cruises; Sail Travel; Races, Regatta’s; Crew; Safety; Navigation; Electronics; Instruments; Weather; Sailing News; Nautical; Marine; Purchase; Sell; Reviews … etc.
        PLEASE let’s keep this VERY upbeat and positive keeping away from non-sailing related social, political or personal topics. Legislative issues relating to recreational boating and the environment of course are o.k. too. Let’s try to keep this as a Great source for, help knowledge, communication and social entertainment.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Marvin Reynolds
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2006
          Bill:
          You're doing a great job and thanks for your efforts.. and yes Ralph Nader is political!

          I like my favorite quote better than your Latin one:
          "It is far better not to know where one is, and realize that one does not know, than to be certain one is in a place where one is not" Lt. Barral from Digressions sur la Navigation du Cap Horn, 1827
          Marvin

          Marvin Reynolds, Broker
          Setsail Yachts
          25 Constellation Wharf
          Pier 7
          Charlestown, MA 02129
          617 242-0111 cell 617 699-6155
[...]
          3. The political nature of the Outer Brewster Island was obviously directly & critically related to all of us who sail in MassBay, therefore, it was a judgment call on my part that was received very well, thank you all.