Alternator and Batteries

  • Barry D. Cohen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2006

      I just put new batteries in the boat.  They read around 12.7

      When I turn on the engine and take readings, they are around 14.5

      Is this increase significant?  Could this lead to burning out the batteries?

      Regards,

      Barry Cohen
      "Wayside" 505
      Catalina 28 Mark II
      Seaport Landing Marina
      Lynn Yacht Club
      Lynn , MA
      TEL: 781-599-1718
      MOBILE : 857-998-1600
      barrydcohen@...
      MMSI: 338 021 386

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2006
        This sounds like the batteries are undergoing a normal charge by your alternator, assuming you have lead acid type batteries.

        If you have any other type batteries, you may have a problem.

        Here's a wonderful web site with more information about batteries than most people think to ask about.

        http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

        I generally keep a fairly decent DVM (Digital Volt Meter) on my boat and a battery discharge chart which shows at what point the batteries are considered discharged (around 10.5 Volts).

        Bob Early
        s/y Second Nature

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2006
          If you don't have a significant increase, you won't charge the batteries. Check the manual, but this sounds about right to me. Your meter may be reading about 1/2 a volt high.
          I just put new batteries in the boat.  They read around 12.7

          When I turn on the engine and take readings, they are around 14.5

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        • Barry Needalman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2006
            The best explanation I have seen is Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual.  He recommends a 3 stage regulator. 14.5v is good if the batteries need charging, but high if the batteries are fully charged.  If the regulator doesn't reduce the voltage as the batteries take charge, the electrolyte will begin to boil.  Not so good for the batteries.  Life threatening for gel and AGM since you can't add water to these.

            If the batteries were fully charged by a shore charger, you should see a high voltage for a couple of minutes and then the voltage should reduce to a little over 13.
          • barrydcohen@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2006
              Thanks Barry.

              --