Re: [MassBaySailors] Spam Proof

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 14, 2006
      OK, you got me! Yes, I have a very high level of trust and confidence that the folks in this group aren't out to nail me for private business nor retaliatory or predatory stuff.

      I have said it before, and it bears saying again, that thanks to my  various sailing forums virtual (and real) buddies, I have saved a couple thousand dollars in unnecessary purchases and enhanced my own concept of boating safety, which, in some manner of thought, could be priceless. (Of course the downside to a perceived savings is that it frees up the money for other stuff.<smile>)

      Or to quote a recent (past 12 months) sailors comment "Aw, sh*t, I didn't think the Woods Hole current  would be that strong then!!" (after sustaining many thousands of dollars in damages by trying to get through the hole at the wrong time with his "new" boat. Since he is not a participant in this forum, he should remain nameless for the purpose of this discussion.)

      Bob Early
      s/y Second Nature

      At 09:27 PM 6/13/2006, you wrote:

      Ok Bob, Maybe not Spam Proof ,but in this day and age ,I would hope you are running a good virus protection program, mine seems to pick at
      Least one or two a week and deletes the messages, I guess what I meant was that this Yahoo Group has a moderator and he controls who has access to our group or emails, I belong to 3 other Yahoo Groups, Yanmar, Pelagic Sailing Club and Landfall Sailing Club [ I�m the moderator of that one !! ] and we seem to keep order and not have people posting messages other than related to sailing or boating , I guess my point is that I feel comfortable posting information on here, If we can�t trust fellow sailors ,who can we trust ?
      Ed Pinanski
      � Querencia �
      1986 P33-2 #  37
      Beverly,MA [ On the North Shore ]

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 14, 2006
        Bob (or anyone),

        are there other forums (fora?) that cover the Cape and south?

        tnx,
        p.

        > Or to quote a recent (past 12 months) sailors comment "Aw, sh*t, I
        > didn't think the Woods Hole current would be that strong then!!"
        > (after sustaining many thousands of dollars in damages by trying to
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 14, 2006
          If I am not mistaken, I believe that Yahoo allows you to have multiple profiles associated with a particular Yahoo ID.  Perhaps adding a more sailing oriented profile for use with this group would be helpful to some.

          Richard

          JB wrote:

          Bill, this is not the only place that I utilize this Id therefore the
          profile is generic. I understand what you mean but if you'd like
          furhter info. please send an email and I'd be happy to converse
          openly with you - no need to post the details of my profile. Do you
          have a crew opportunity to discuss?

          I have emailed thefrencha much personal information in the hopes that
          it will be sufficient for him/her to decide to share a sail with me.
          If not, that's ok too. If there are any further opportunities
          available I would do the same again and would not expect somebody to
          welcome me aboard their boot based solely on a generic posting in a
          public interest group.

          If I know that I am going to be somewhere that you also will be and I
          am able to identify who you are I'd gladly shake hands and say hello
          and thank you for your effort on this group but I'll not post further
          information to the group just because it would be nice. I apologize
          if that is not the way that you want this to be but I'm not always
          eager to just throw myself out into cyber-space - I'm a face to face
          kind of guy. Awww, I just went and posted details of myself. ;)
          JB

          PS I like the link to this group on Sailnet.
          PPS I also like both coffe and beer.

          --- In MassBaySailors@ yahoogroups. com, Bill Scanlon
          <Catalina30Ruby@ ...> wrote:

          > JB,
          >
          > I agree with TheFrencha.
          >
          > You sign your e-mail with the name JB and your Yahoo Profile
          Reads:
          > Basics
          > Yahoo! ID:
          > glasjo
          > Real Name:
          > JB
          > Nickname:
          > Location:
          > Green Habah
          > Age:
          > Marital Status:
          > No Answer
          > Sex:
          > No Answer
          > Occupation:
          >
          > Many of us are more than happy in taking eager sailors out for a
          sail, but, like The Frencha suggests most if not all of us would need
          to know more about anyone they may consider spending several hours in
          the confines of our small boats with. We need to know more about you
          than "JB and Green Harbah." We don't know your gender, age, sail
          experience, interests etc.. You may have sent the group a bit of
          history about yourself a few months back, but people don't tend to go
          search past posts, as much as "I" wish they would. Please tell us as
          much about you as you are comfortable in sharing and if its enough
          you may get an invite. Maybe fr a coffee or beer first and then to
          sail.

          > "TheFrencha" , I would also like to refer to you by something
          other than that, a name at the end of all of our e-mails would be
          nice!

          --
          Splash!  The boating season has begun!  :-)
        • Sharon Wasserman
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 15, 2006
            I'm relatively new to Boston sailing (and to Boston
            for that matter). Where is the Savin Hill Yacht Club?

            Sharon

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 15, 2006
              Off Morrissey Blvd near the JFK Library.

              --- We 2 Sail <we2sail@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >search past posts, as much as "I" wish they would.
              > Please tell us as
              > >much about you as you are comfortable in sharing
              > and if its enough
              > >you may get an invite. Maybe fr a coffee or beer
              > first and then to
              > >sail.
              > > >

              > > > "TheFrencha", I would also like to refer to
              > you by something
              > >other than that, a name at the end of all of our
              > e-mails would be
              > >nice!
              > > >
              > > > ;-)
              > > >

              > > > Bill Scanlon
              > > > USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
              > > > Towing & Sailing Endorsements
              > > > Lic. # 1092926
              > > >
              > > > 1984 Catalina 30
              > > > "Ruby"
              > > > Std. Rig Hull# 3688
              > > > Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
              > > >
              > > > Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 15, 2006
                Or by water on the north side of the entrance to the Neponset River...

                Richard

                --- We 2 Sail <we2sail@verizon. net> wrote:

> [...]
                > >search past posts, as much as "I" wish they would.
                > Please tell us as
                > >much about you as you are comfortable in sharing
                > and if its enough
                > >you may get an invite. Maybe fr a coffee or beer
                > first and then to
                > >sail.
                > > >

                > > > "TheFrencha" , I would also like to refer to
                > you by something
                > >other than that, a name at the end of all of our
                > e-mails would be
                > >nice!
                > > >
                > > > ;-)
                > > >

                > > > Bill Scanlon
                > > > USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
                > > > Towing & Sailing Endorsements
                > > > Lic. # 1092926
                > > >
                > > > 1984 Catalina 30
                > > > "Ruby"
                > > > Std. Rig Hull# 3688
                > > > Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
                > > >
                > > > Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                --
                Splash!  The boating season has begun!  :-)
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 15, 2006
                  However, if you plan to get there from the "Boston" side of Morrisey
                  Blvd, you need to go past the club (no Left turns permitted), over
                  the drawbridge, hug left lane, and make a U-turn at the next light.
                  And then come back over the bridge and hook a right turn into the
                  parking lot (watch out for restricted parking spots).

                  Pizza is served about 6:30 PM, Main Meeeting around 7:30 PM and
                  speaker about 8 PM

                  Bob Early

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
                    Ah, but she doesn't have a boat.

                    richard usen wrote:

> [...]

                    > >search past posts, as much as "I" wish they would.
                    > Please tell us as
                    > >much about you as you are comfortable in sharing
                    > and if its enough
                    > >you may get an invite. Maybe fr a coffee or beer
                    > first and then to
                    > >sail.
                    > > >

                    > > > "TheFrencha" , I would also like to refer to
                    > you by something
                    > >other than that, a name at the end of all of our
                    > e-mails would be
                    > >nice!
                    > > >
                    > > > ;-)
                    > > >

                    > > > Bill Scanlon
                    > > > USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
                    > > > Towing & Sailing Endorsements
                    > > > Lic. # 1092926
                    > > >
                    > > > 1984 Catalina 30
                    > > > "Ruby"
                    > > > Std. Rig Hull# 3688
                    > > > Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
                    > > >
                    > > > Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    --
                    Splash!  The boating season has begun!  :-)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
                      Ah, no boat! No car, too ? ? ?

                      Then the last time I had no car and went by "T", (old Boston Elevated, no longer 5 cents and Charlie did get off), I took the Red Line to Savin Hill and walked over, about a mile. I think the JFK Library and Bus might be shorter but could never figure it out if a Bus  went down (or up) Morrisey Blvd.

                      Bob Early

                      Ah, but she doesn't have a boat.