Re: [MassBaySailors] Re: Florida takes manatee off endangered list

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
      Interesting comment.

      This past April while in Florida for a vacation, some of the big news
      was that many dock-o-miniums could not build docks due to the
      moratorium on new dock construction, designed to protect the manatees
      from further encroachment.

      It looks like the developers found a solution!

      Bob Early
      s/y Second Nature

    • Judy Usen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
        We went swimming with the manatees this winter and enjoyed it immensely!
        ...a very unique experience. However, the locals did not mention anything
        about the pending change of status. I suspect it was a well kept political
        secret to minimize the opposition. The creatures seem oblivious to the
        potential harm all around them and continue to bear of large scars of boat
        encounters.

        At 11:20 PM 6/9/2006, you wrote:

> [...]
        > > They are vulnerable to speeding boats because they often drift
        >lazily at or just below the surface of the water. They are also
        >killed by cold weather and red tide algae blooms.
        > > Patrick Rose, an official with the Save the Manatee Club, said
        >the downlisting could weaken protections and decrease government
        >funding at a time when threats from boats, red tide and loss of
        >habitat are rising.
        > > "The world is going to think the manatees are doing a lot better
        >when they're not," he said.
        > >

        > > Bill Scanlon
        > > USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
        > > Towing & Sailing Endorsements
        > > Lic. # 1092926
        > >
        > > 1984 Catalina 30
        > > "Ruby"
        > > Std. Rig Hull# 3688
        > > Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
        > >
        > > Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Joseph Hadzima
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
          I don't wish anyone to take offense because my opinion may
          differ from theirs. I'm just attempting to inject my $0.02
          as food for thought.

          I for one don't see a deep dark plot to over throw a race
          of manatees and enslave them. I see the news that the
          manatee population has grown enough to move them from
          endangered to threaded as a good thing. The protective
          measures seem to be working, and perhaps some funds can be
          directed to protect other sea creatures.

          I think we should party!

          but I allways see the glass 1/2 full.

          happy sailing, and next time how about posting some of
          those manatee swimming pix to share.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
            Unfortunately, the facts apparently are not there to substantiate the
            action. To my understanding, the population is not increasing. We were
            swimming w/ a bunch last winter, and they appear to be no smarter than a
            lobster, or maybe not as. W/ the shallow water they live in, and the
            speed of the boats, they get hit a lot. They're also vulnerable to red
            tide. It would be nice if the population had increased a lot, but then
            there wouldn't be as much habitat for boats.