Florida takes manatee off endangered list

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2006
      Richard <rhlong@...> wrote:
      Subject: [win-yc] Florida takes manatee off endangered list

      MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Florida's wildlife commission voted Wednesday to remove the manatee from the state's endangered species list, a move environmentalists fear could erode safeguards for the popular sea creature.

      The move will not take place until commission staffers draw up a plan to ensure the creature's continued recovery, which could take a year, an official said.  "Whatever protections we woke up with today we go to bed with tonight," commission spokesman Willie Puz said.
      The manatee remains on the federal endangered species list and is protected by other federal laws.
      ==============================
      (Full story):
      State officials said the "downlisting" to threatened from endangered would have no impact on protections afforded the massive, lumbering marine mammal often called the sea cow.
      Manatees inhabit Florida's canals and coastal waters, where they are frequently killed or injured by boats.
      A survey this year found about 3,100 remaining manatees.
      State officials say manatees no longer qualify for endangered status, which is reserved for creatures that face extinction.
      Environmentalists, citing predictions the manatee population could decline by 50 percent in the next 45 years, say the criteria need to be changed.
      The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission voted unanimously at a meeting in West Palm Beach to change the manatee's status. But the move will not take place until commission staffers draw up a plan to ensure the creature's continued recovery, which could take a year, an official said.
      "Whatever protections we woke up with today we go to bed with tonight," commission spokesman Willie Puz said.
      The manatee remains on the federal endangered species list and is protected by other federal laws.
      Slow-moving and herbivorous, manatees can eat up to 15 percent of their body weight daily. On average, adult manatees are about 10 feet long and weigh about 1,000 pounds.
      They are vulnerable to speeding boats because they often drift lazily at or just below the surface of the water. They are also killed by cold weather and red tide algae blooms.
      Patrick Rose, an official with the Save the Manatee Club, said the downlisting could weaken protections and decrease government funding at a time when threats from boats, red tide and loss of habitat are rising.
      "The world is going to think the manatees are doing a lot better when they're not," he said.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Mike Long
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2006
        It is a sad day for the Manatees. I guess the Manatees do not vote
        Republican.

        --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, Bill Scanlon

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
          Interesting comment.

          This past April while in Florida for a vacation, some of the big news
          was that many dock-o-miniums could not build docks due to the
          moratorium on new dock construction, designed to protect the manatees
          from further encroachment.

          It looks like the developers found a solution!

          Bob Early
          s/y Second Nature

        • Judy Usen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
            We went swimming with the manatees this winter and enjoyed it immensely!
            ...a very unique experience. However, the locals did not mention anything
            about the pending change of status. I suspect it was a well kept political
            secret to minimize the opposition. The creatures seem oblivious to the
            potential harm all around them and continue to bear of large scars of boat
            encounters.

            At 11:20 PM 6/9/2006, you wrote:

> [...]
            > > They are vulnerable to speeding boats because they often drift
            >lazily at or just below the surface of the water. They are also
            >killed by cold weather and red tide algae blooms.
            > > Patrick Rose, an official with the Save the Manatee Club, said
            >the downlisting could weaken protections and decrease government
            >funding at a time when threats from boats, red tide and loss of
            >habitat are rising.
            > > "The world is going to think the manatees are doing a lot better
            >when they're not," he said.
            > >

            > > Bill Scanlon
            > > USCG Master 50 GT Inland Waters
            > > Towing & Sailing Endorsements
            > > Lic. # 1092926
            > >
            > > 1984 Catalina 30
            > > "Ruby"
            > > Std. Rig Hull# 3688
            > > Winthrop (Mass.) Yacht Club
            > >
            > > Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Joseph Hadzima
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
              I don't wish anyone to take offense because my opinion may
              differ from theirs. I'm just attempting to inject my $0.02
              as food for thought.

              I for one don't see a deep dark plot to over throw a race
              of manatees and enslave them. I see the news that the
              manatee population has grown enough to move them from
              endangered to threaded as a good thing. The protective
              measures seem to be working, and perhaps some funds can be
              directed to protect other sea creatures.

              I think we should party!

              but I allways see the glass 1/2 full.

              happy sailing, and next time how about posting some of
              those manatee swimming pix to share.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
                Unfortunately, the facts apparently are not there to substantiate the
                action. To my understanding, the population is not increasing. We were
                swimming w/ a bunch last winter, and they appear to be no smarter than a
                lobster, or maybe not as. W/ the shallow water they live in, and the
                speed of the boats, they get hit a lot. They're also vulnerable to red
                tide. It would be nice if the population had increased a lot, but then
                there wouldn't be as much habitat for boats.