Hello all

  • Chris Hallinan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      I thought it was spam, but on second look, I discovered someone
      (Bill Scanlon, I assume) invited me to join your list.

      We bought our 1988 Catalina 30 last June from it's long time home
      on a mooring at the Jubilee Yacht Club. She is in great
      condition, and we're doing more to add to her beauty and value.
      We're new sailors - this is our third season. Our first was on a
      Catalina 22, and we were bit hard by the bug...resulting in the
      upgrade to the C30 almost exactly a year ago today. We
      anticipate keeping this one a few seasons!

      Though we live in Sutton, MA, we keep her on a mooring in Rhode
      Island, in Allen Harbor, just north of Wickford. It's great
      sailing water, easy access to dozens of great ports and harbors.
      Believe me when I say we were damn lucky to find the mooring that
      we did. We hope to make a return voyage to Beverly this summer
      to party with the great folks we met there when we picked her up.

      This season we got our first taste of what it takes to maintain
      and commission a larger boat, and we're both still sore from
      scrubbing, waxing and bottom painting in preperation for the
      launch. We splashed yesterday, and we're ready to go sailing.

      Projects ahead include:
      1) Installation of wind meter and autohelm from Raymarine that we
      recently purchased. The masthead sensor is already installed.
      2) Rebuild the head with all new rubber
      3) replace some fresh water hoses and flush system from winter
      pink stuff.

      In the fall:
      new prop shaft, stuffing box and coupler
      roller furling (I hope) to replace the tired and bent Hood we now
      have.

      Fair winds and happy sailing,

      Chris

      --

      Chris Hallinan
      Karin (Cary) Dillman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hello Chris, welcome.
        So, when is the Catalina 36 due? next year :):) Obviously after you have done all possible upgrades to your C-30.
        Well, enjoy your sailing.

        On a different subject
        It would be nice to have some kind of a calender where we would post our weekend plans, so that others in the group could possibly find us. Even if it is just to say hello, or get to shore together .. whatnot
        Does anybody have any idea on how to achieve this ?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
          I figured I'll describe Nomad.
          She has her name scribbled on tiny letters on the stern. One day I will get to put the real name on !

          She is a white Catalina 36 blue dodget, bimini, sometimes full cockput cover, with a Radar mast on the port aft quarter, and the US Flag flown about halfway up the Backstay.

          Based on the weather report, I will probably stay put this weekend, except a short daysail sunday, if the weather clears
          Ahmet

        • Chris Hallinan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
            On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:13:43PM -0700, Ahmet wrote:
            > Hello Chris, welcome.
            > So, when is the Catalina 36 due? next year :):) Obviously after you have done all possible upgrades to your C-30.

            Isn't that the truth. Same thing happened to my C22! I upgraded
            more than I care to admit (standing/running rigging, bla bla)
            then sold it. Ah, but it was fun...

            Chris Hallinan
            1988 C30 #5401 "Transition"
            Sutton, MA
            ----------------------------------
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
              Welcome Chris,

              When you head to Beverly make sure you let us know when you'll be passing Boston, it's Harbor Islands and Winthrop.  Maybe we can schedule a rendevou or have you as an overnight mooring guest at Winthrop YC.

              Ahmet,

              I did post a long list of 2006 monthly sailing events.  The Yahoo E-Group does have a Calendar section.  Yahoo is about to unveil a new E-Group version that may make navigating through it easier.  For now, go out to the E-Group messages area and search on "calendar" you find my posts.  I think the next event will be Summer Sailstice.

              ON the same note, MassBaySailors is 138 strong and its time to plan an event to get as many of us as possible together as possible.  I'll post a separate e-mail/message about this so it gets the attention it deserves.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
                I was more talking about "informal" postings, almost like a route plan for people who are planning to go out and sail.
                i.e.
                Dec 1.. leave Boston Harbor in the morning, Sail to Salem to
                grab a mooring,
                Dinner and overnight in Salem,
                Dec 2 Return to Boston early afternoon

                We all know that these plans change even on the day, and perhaps it is not feasible, and obviously not everybody want to share their plans, and end up being boarded by a horde of WYCSailors (including myself)
                Ahmet
                www.sailnomad.com

                Chris Hallinan <clh@...> wrote:
                On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:13:43PM -0700, Ahmet wrote:
                > Hello Chris, welcome.
                >   So, when is the Catalina 36 due? next year :):) Obviously after you have done all possible upgrades to your C-30.

                Isn't that the truth.  Same thing happened to my C22!  I upgraded
                more than I care to admit (standing/running rigging, bla bla)
                then sold it.  Ah, but it was fun...

                Chris Hallinan
                1988 C30 #5401 "Transition"
                Sutton, MA

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Joseph Hadzima
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
                  this is true by charter companies have "general" plans for
                  people that rent their boats. It would be nice to have
                  several ideas of "doable trips" in the area.

                  just my $0.02

                  happy sailing!

                • regardless2
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                    My name is Matt Correira and I am a new member. I just wanted to say
                    hello and give a brief description of myself.

                    I am 33 years old and have been sailing for 8 years. I have an O'Day
                    27 named "REGARDLESS II" and sail primarily in Buzzards Bay. My home
                    port is Padanaram MA.

                    I have ASA certifications 101-104 and studying for 105&107. I also
                    have a USCG 6 pack license. I'm looking to crew on any deliveries,
                    races or regattas. My goal is to one day just captain sail boats all
                    over the globe.

                    Thanks for your time and for inviting me into the group. I look
                    forward to many years of friendship and comradery.

                    Matt Correira
                    Regardless II
                    27 O'Day
                    Padanaram MA
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                      Hi Matt,

                      Welcome to the group.  Thank you for the introduction, you have impressive skills and background.  I'm sure your aspirations of sailing around the globe all the time are common here.  Let's hope we all get to live the dream!  In the meantime let's see if we can all hook up for some rendezvous in some Mass. Bay or other New England Harbors as well as some on-shore socializing.  Matt, as you might guess, heading through the Cape Cod Canal and visiting the Islands, R.I and CT coasts are common summer cruise destinations for many of us.  We'll try to look you up while we are there and please you do the same when heading north.

                      Thank you again for joining the MassbaySailors Group.

                      Enjoy!

                      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.