Postcard from Outer Brewster. It's Back!!!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 8:33 AM

      Postcard from Outer Brewster: It's Back!!!!!

      The special interest bill that would permit one out of state energy company to build the nation's largest LNG terminal and s to rage depot on Outer Brewster Island in the Bos to n Harbor Islands National Park is back.

      On Thursday, the Massachusetts House discharged H 4500 from study, and referred it to the Committee on Telecommunication, Utilities and Energy, co-chaired by the bill's chief sponsor, Rep. Brian Dempsey (D-Haverhill).

      At the request of Sena to r Robert Hedlund, a steadfast opponent of the proposal, the Senate tabled the bill, though they may take it up again as early as next week.

      Should the Senate vote to concur with the House, the bill - which was widely reported to be dead for the session- could come to the floor at any time for a vote without any further public hearings or discussion.

      Frankly we are both surprised and disappointed by the House's action, and hope that the Senate will
      not concur with the House, and take no further action on HB4500 at this time.

      The bill has already had one hearing, and was nearly unanimously referred to study. With more than 1/3 of the members of each chamber on the record in public opposition to the bill, and with a public hearing scheduled before the newly created LNG Siting Commission on May 22 to take a comprehensive look at the issue statewide, it seems particularly inappropriate to take further action on this special interest legislation at this time.

      Please call your State Sena to r to day and ask that the Senate take no further action on the bill until after the LNG Siting Commission has made its final report.

      The Bos to n Harbor Islands National Park is a critical recreational and natural resource, enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of visi to rs a year. It belongs to all of us, and should not be for sale.

      As part of our ongoing effort to help decision makers and the public better understand the value of this great asset, to day's Postcard From Outer Brewster features a pho to graph of a few of the nearly 500 area youth and families who joined Save the Harbor/Save the Bay on this year's free Marine Mammal Safari to Outer Brewster Island to see the seals with which we share the Harbor and the Bay.

      I have also attached a close up of two of the many cooperative seals we were lucky enough to see on our April 22 trips.

      Thanks to the Bos to n Herald and Pho to grapher John Wilcox for the seal pho to .

      Lauren Thirer
      Environmental Policy Analyst and Development Associate
      Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
      286 Congress St. 7th floor
      Bos to n, MA 02210

      (617) 451-2860 x103
      (617) 451-0496 (f)

      Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is a public interest environmental advocacy organization made up of citizens, scientists, civic, cultural, corporate and community leaders dedicated to res to ring and protecting Bos to n Harbor and Massachusetts Bay for everyone to enjoy.

      mail to :bruce@bos to nharbor.com