Nautical Daily History, Triva & News

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      Times have changed no doubt, but the Sea has not.
                                                        --R.D. "Pete" Culler

      May 17  1851  --  The newly launched schooner-yacht America, in her first sailing trial, was soundly trounced by the centerboard sloop Maria.

      May 18, 1952 -- Anne Davison departed Plymouth, England, for Miami, Florida, in the 23-foot yacht Felicity Ann; she would become the first woman to cross the Atlantic alone.

      May 19, 1953 --  The Yacht Club de Monaco, Principality of Monaco, was founded.

      From the Log Book of;

      The Four-Masted Bark Comet, Sunda Straight, May 1912

         On May 12th we passed Christmas Island, and although seven miles distant, the scent of tropical flowers was overpowering after our long spell at sea, even the captain's wife remarking there was too much of it.  May 16th, we passed Anjer Point in a light S.W. wind having then covered 14,735 miles in 101 days 11 hours, but, about four hours later, when off Point Nicholas, we were headed by a violent squall of wind and rain, and having no room to spare we obliged to run back round Krakatoa Island, noted for having burst in the eruption of 1883.  I believe the wooden ship Charles Bal, owned by J. S. Wright & Co. of Belfast, was in sight at the time.  After clearing the island we hauled up and, the wind having dropped, drifted in abreast of Old Anjer and anchored to await a breeze, and it was while clewing up the sail that a small steamer, the Islander, closed up and told us of the tragic loss of the Titanic.   ---   "J.B."

      All the above from the 2006 "The Mariner's Book of Days", Peter H. Spectre.