961Commissioning: Tomorrow is the start Hull Preperation for Waxing

    Apr 28 11:14 AM
      Hello,

      If you have not found read or printed the Spring
      Commissioning docments saved in the MassBaySailors files area make usre you do, you won't be disapointed.

      Please understand my listing of some products, like my previous e-mail and now this one, is only to “share” with you info and products I find useful.  I have no business affiliation with these companies or their products.

      That said, tomorrow I’ll be preparing my hull for the season.  Like all of us I’ve used all kinds of waxes for my cars and boats.  None of them have compared to the results I get on “Ruby” with the 2 below products, especially the Collonite #925 Wax.  Although not very difficult to work with, you do need to wipe it away relatively quickly.  It leaves an unbelievable shine and what seems to be a hard protective surface.  Buff it out by machine and it looks like glass, apply 2 coats and of course it’s even better, stronger and thicker.

      There are pictures of Ruby’s hull taken in the boat yard at Admirals this past fall.  My insurance company wanted some recent pictures.  I think the hull looks very good (shinny) and still very protected, by the wax, that was applied last in April or May of 2004 when I last waxed and launched her.  I kept her in the water over the winter of 2004-2005.  When I was at the boat this past weekend I washed her down, if I wasn’t such a stickler about getting her as Bristol as I can before launching I could conceivably launch her as is, but I won’t. I plan to apply 2 coats and machine buff each application.

      A folder of Ruby Pics, look at the hull in the last 4 or 5 pics;

      I’ll take more pictures before launching.

      So, if you are pondering what type/brand of Boat WAX to buy, don’t consider anything else.  Collonite #925 is more expensive than most others, but I feel it is worth it.  I’ve used others, they don’t compare.  This product was suggested to me several years ago by someone who is the ultimate stickler in the care of his boat, so I knew it would be a good product.

      Collonite has multiple levels of their products.  Although I would guess all their products are of equal quality, # 925 is their top-of-the line wax product, I haven’t used their other less expensive lines.

      And their boat cleaner  # 920  !!  I have washed my boat with, boat soaps, simple green and even used acetone trying to remove water marks, soot stains etc. and the dirt remains.  All dirt & grime is removed with # 920.

      This is my standard Hull Preperation each Spring;

      1) Hose/rinse the boat down with water only.

      2) Wash the Hull with a boat-soap or simple green.

      3) Rinse again.

      4) Prep/clean the hull with #920, manageable sections.

      5) If some times elapses after “4)” like the following weekend, I’ll gently/quickly wash the hull again.  Or if the same day (or next day), I’ll just rinse again.

      6) Apply #925, in manageable sections and wipe away per instructions.  I’ll do the whole boat like this.  I usually use a car store bought car-wax-sponge to apply the #925, dipping it in a clean bucket of water (changing often) so the sponge is always moist.

      7) Power/machine buff the whole boat.

      To apply a second coat I’ll rinse again and then back to “6)”.

      To do all the above usually takes me 4 days, 2 days to do the #920 cleaning then a day each for each application of the #925. I don’t know what I would charge someone for me to do this, I really would only want to go through this once a season, for my own boat and like most people, I don’t think anyone I would pay to do it would do it as well.  Just how we feel about our sailboats.

      Bill

      #925 Fiberglass Boat Wax

      Goes on easy and stays on all season for a wipe and shine deck, glistening topsides, and a super slippery bottom. Contains a special pure Carnauba wax formula proven in harsh industrial environments. It will easily shrug off scrubbing, scuffing, detergents, salt water and marine organisms...all year long.

      Contains polymers, carnauba wax, and other protective ingredients

      Manufacturer
      MFG Part #
      WM Model#
      Price
      In Stock?
      Qty
      COLLINITE
      925
      4758322
       Only $20.79 USD

      #920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner

      Easily removes dirt, film, oxidation, oil, grease, rust and exhaust stains from fiberglass finishes. Restores the original color quickly without hard rubbing or buffing. Leaves a chemically clean surface to which Collinite waxes can bond perfectly. Increases long-lasting brilliance and performance of protective wax coating.