      Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 5:49 PM
      Subject: RE: [MassBaySailors] Sailing Instructions in the Boston area

      IMHO, the best way to learn to sail is spend a lot of time at the helm skippering a boat, learning the sweet spots etc. Where you do this depends on a lot of things. The next step is to get skipper experience, learning how to make decisions etc, based on weather, tides, currents, the works. This can be done as a passenger, or drinking a lot of beer w/ other sailors. The latter is very effective, but the former works too. You need to start the former by polishing and painting a boat, and mine comes to mind. Seriously, learning to sail requires time and experience, and there are some great books and magazines out there. I've been sailing for over 60 years and I usually learn something new from some of the stuff I read.