2825Hello to our Newest MBS Members & some group protocol for all

    Jul 11, 2007
      Hello to our Newest MBS Members,

      We've had several new members join us over the past few weeks.  Welcome to each of you, thank you for joining!!   Please don’t be wallflowers.

      We are now at 270 members and growing steadily.  We are in the peak of the Summer Sailing season and the lists’ activity has been a testament to that.  With 270 members we still have a LOT of wallflowers.  I encourage all of you to jump into the dialogs and contribute your knowledge, ask question or tell us of a recent or upcoming sail you have planned.

      Please let’s keep the below stuff in mind when using the group;

      1)       New members:  Please consider posting an introductory message telling us a little bit about you, your sailing background if any and any sailing aspirations you may have. If you own a boat please tell us about it.  If you have crewed on some interesting boats or trips or chartered or raced in school or elsewhere.  Do you have any certifications?

      2)   Everyone please consider filling out a Yahoo Profile with as much info about you that you are comfortable in listing.  This helps everyone have a better idea of who we are corresponding with.

      3)       IMHO this is way underutilized by us:  IM/Buddy lists.  If you are using a Yahoo E-Mail and/or Profile also consider using Yahoo chat or listing your AOL, ICQ or IM user name etc ..

      Again, there are 270 of us on this list, “I” feel our IM/Chat capabilities are way under utilized.  Of course this goes for ALL MBS members.  There is an Internet Site we use at work called Meebo   www.Meebo.com that allows you to combine ALL your e-mail/IM/ICQ/Chat user names into 1 IM buddy list centralizing your IM communication to 1 desk top application, very handy.

      4)       When “replying” to a message post, PLEASE, REMOVE/DELETE the content of the original message you are replying to keeping your message as brief as possible.  Of course there are exceptions, for instance if you want to “reference” a statement someone posted etc…

      5)       Please sign your posts with your name.

      6)         Decide what e-mail setting is best for you.  Yes, there is often a lot of e-mail generated from this group, though I like to think it’s all interesting and help;

       “ Individual e-mail”; you would receive 1 e-mail for every post, a majority of our members feel this is too voluminous.

      “Daily Digest” an accumulation of all e-mails sent to the group in a 24 hr period, this feature also has an index of subjects at its beginning.  This is the most popular option, though, “I” feel many (most) messages are overlooked with this option and therefore many people don’t reply to messages that they would have if they received “individual e-mails”.

      “Special Notices”;  Of which NONE are ever sent.

      “No e-mail”, as its name implies, hopefully these people go into the site every now and then and read the messages they missed.

      _,___