2276Exciting New Articles from SailNet

    Apr 20, 2007

      sailing photo

      Dear SailNet Member!
      This week's newsletter delivers two great articles from Practical Sailor magazine and a couple of active discussions from our forums. Practical Sailor reviews the Centurion 40S, a Wauquiez cruiser-racer, and takes a hard look at lifeline safety. In our discussions, you'll discover some great tips on adjusting your genoa cars and a lively thread with more than 700 responses on the effectiveness of solar panels and wind generators.

      Fair Winds.

      Chris — SailNet Crew

      A Practical Sailor Magazine Featured Article
      The Centurion 40S

      Practical Sailor
      Subscription Offer
      "Known for strong construction and fast sailboats, Wauquiez presents a well-conceived cruiser-racer with comfort enough to match its performance.

      Wauquiez, the French boatbuilding firm, has existed on the fringes of the American sailing community for two decades, but throughout the majority of that time the company hasn't enjoyed the benefit of top-drawer representation with a nationwide dealer network. As a consequence, many of the company's boats sailing in the U.S. were purchased on the used market from owners who bought them in Europe. That changed when Beneteau acquired the company in 1997.

      As with most of Beneteau's subsidiaries, Wauquiez designates product lines by their intended use: the Centurion combines performance and comfort with traditionally shaped sloops. The Pilot Saloon line seeks to combine sailing performance with raised coachroof profiles designed to increase viewing area from below decks. Known for strong construction and fast sailboats, Wauquiez presents a well-conceived cruiser-racer with comfort enough to match its performance."

      Read the rest of "The Centurion 40S"

      An FX Sails Featured Article
      Trimming Your Asymmetrical Spinnaker
      by Sandy Goodall

      FX Custom Spinnakers

      Standard Spinnakers
      "Okay, your aspin is rigged. Let's get out sailing in a light to medium breeze. Let's assume that you led your tackline around the port side of the forestay, and you'll hoist the sail while on starboard jibe. Once clear, aim downwind with the breeze over your right shoulder (starboard jibe). With the main eased out appropriately for a broad reach, let someone else take the helm (or let Mr. Autopilot take over). Before you hoist the aspin, locate the loop of braided line, hanging out of the mouth of the snuffer. This is the "snuffer line". It's a continuous loop, so pulling on one end raises the snuffer, releasing the sail, while pulling on the other end pulls the snuffer back down, collapsing and containing the sail. Make sure you have chosen somewhere where you can tie this line off once the sail is hoisted, so it's always close at hand (on the mast, for example). "

      View more of "Trimming Your Asymmetrical Spinnaker"

      -- A Practical Sailor Magazine Featured Article
      Offshore Log:
      Check Your Lifelines, Save Your Life

      Practical Sailor
      Subscription Offer
      "Quality hardware, regular inspection and maintenance, and awareness of the lifeline limitations will help keep you aboard.

      Last month we looked at portable safety equipment designed to keep you aboard your boat, or retrieve you if you go overboard. This month, we look at the permanent system which is intended to keep you aboard: the lifelines and rails.

      Lifelines, stanchions, and pulpits are an integral part of any boat's crew-overboard prevention system. The weakest link in the lifeline chain is, almost inevitably, the lifeline wire. We're not sure when vinyl-coated stainless steel lifeline material was developed, but it is certainly the standard material for lifelines on every cruising boat.

      Unfortunately, vinyl-coated 7x7 stainless steel wire is a poor choice for lifelines. In fact, it is such a poor choice that it is strongly discouraged as a lifeline material by the Offshore Racing Council in their Special Regulations, the code of safety standards applied to racing yachts. "

      View more of "Check Your Lifelines"

      Hot Forum Discussions
      Adjusting Genoa Cars
      Skrap1r0n started a recent discussion on the Learning to Sail forum with the following comment:

      "Just bought a catalina 25. It came with a 130%(?) and a 150%(?) Genoa I think (they both come back past the mast, one more than the other). I have only sailed with the smaller one, I haven't raised the larger one yet. I know this because I checked both the sails out prior to purchase and one was big, and one was bigger.

      My question is, how does one go about adjusting the Genoa cars, or rather what does one look for when it is time to move them and how does one know they are in their proper slots? "

      The question generated 44 responses, some with photographs. You'll find some excellent suggestions in this discussion.

      View the rest of the threads on this subject.

      Hot Forum Discussions
      Effectiveness of
      Solar Panels and Wind Generators?
      "So I'm looking for some real world experience with powering a boat's systems with solar & wind. I'm planning on a little over 100 amps per day and was expecting to get most of that from 2 large panels and a wind gen. Not practical? " - xort

      "We find solar panels are rather over rated. We have two 55 watt panels and they produce enough power to run the fridge as long as we get good sunny days. They have numerous weaknesses:

      a) ANY shade across the panels (shadow from mast, halyards, lazyjack lines, bird droppings, whatever) or cloud seriously reduces or even eliminates the output.

      b) extra panels are heavy, expensive and they only work for about six hours a day IF it is sunny.

      c) even suppliers have advised us that wattage on most panels is over rated. That is 120 watts of panel will never produce 10 amps on a 12 volt system - 8 if you are lucky and conditions are perfect. " - Anlyn

      View the rest of the 714 responses on this subject.

      Always Popular
      Resources: Site resources to help you become a more informed sailor.

      Photo Gallery: Fellow members post their most memorable sailing photos.

      Instant Sail Quotes: Instant online sail quotes on thousands of boat models.

      Classifieds: Sell your collection of sailing hardware and equipment.

      Email Lists: Sign up for an email list and communicate with other owners of your boat model or others who sail in your region.

      Member Blogs: SailNet members write about their sailing experiences, boats and gear.

      ON SALE
      While Supplies Last!
      BUY NOW

      Now in 12 Colors!
      VIEW OUR

      ICOM IC-M802

      ICOM IC-M602
      VHF Transceiver
      With HM-157W COMMAND MIC II
      Click Here!

      10% OFF ALL
      Be ready for Spring!
      FX SAILS

      UP TO
      70% OFF!

      This email has been sent as part of your SailNet membership. Your email address has not been given to any third parties. SailNet will continue to control all e-mail delivery to assure your privacy. If you no longer wish to receive any further correspondence from SailNet, send a blank email to leave-specials2-270845G@.... SailNet.com headquarters is located at 381 Brinton Lake Road, Thornton, Pennsylvania 19373, Phone: 610-361-7743. link

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.