      From: We 2 Sail
      Sent: Friday, May 19, 2006 7:07 PM
      Subject: RE: [MassBaySailors] Looking for anchorages

      Hi, minor correction,

      Inner Harbor Cuttyhunk is mud. My Danforth is quite good in about 10 feet - 12 feet of water. Caution MUST BE exercised in the Inner Harbor. The mooring/anchorage maybe was dredged??? And outside of it shoals up real fast  to less than four feet.

      Outside the Inner harbor (before the Green Gong buoy and eastward of the beach used to be an anchorage with Eel Grass. Lots of moorings now. $25/night. Westward of the harbor entrance are a few more moorings BUT watch out for the rocks between the breakwater behind the mooring field.

      As information, Cuttyhunk was one of the islands used by the Army during WWII for submarine spotting. The walk to the top of the hill is very well worth it. Trash cost $5.00 a bag to dispose. The Raw Bar Boat is very well worth it. Also have Clam Chowdah and hot drinks.

      The grocery store is a typical small country store, not much and they charge for what they do got. There's no Kroger or Wal-Mart here, but they got plenty of New England flavor.<smile>

      I think the Island is also "dry", but not certain of that (dry = no alcohol beverages or spirits available for purchase).

      Bob Early
      s/y Second Nature
      Haul & Launch June 2, 2006

      At 12:36 PM 5/19/2006, you wrote:

      Yes you should be able to. There are some areas where the town has prohibited anchoring, but that is fairly seldom.
      If you have a time limit and would like to hurry, or would like to get some safe offshore experience I can see you going directly to Block Island.
      The times I came up from down there, I went through New York and the East River. It is an interesting experience.. sort of different than your standard sailing/cruising.
      If you a memeber of a recipro..  yacht club, or even if you are not, you should be able to find a place for a night or two in Brookline.
      Then you can stay in Huntington, or Oyster Bay, Mt Sinai, and Montouk.
      No matter which way to go, there is great anchorage in lake Montauk.
      COntinuing on, you should not miss (obviously) Block Island, Cuttyhunk adn the Massachusetts Islands.
      You should make sure that besides mud, you also have ground tackle that can handle kelp, and grass. Although there are rocky areas as you go up north, most of our area is mud, so a Danforth does well. But some places, like Cuttyhunk are a bit more difficult to anchor, especially in the more protected areas, because they are designated as mooring fields.

      You should get the Maptech Cruising guide. It has pretty good information, pictures etc
      Ahmet

      Julie Kaynor <jkaynor@...> wrote:
      So if we stayed in 'not so busy' areas most of the time, Ahmet, we'd probably manage to anchor out?