Re: [MassAntiqueFiretrucks] Pumping at Edgewater

  • hmaxims@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2010
      In a message dated 6/13/2010 7:31:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mack505@... writes:
      Any ideas why? It's always been my favorite part of the show, and I'm
      sorry to see it diminishing. Anyone else?
      I'm not sure why. I've noticed it too. Possibly because we park apparatus near the water, people think its not allowed. We park them there, only because we are running out of room. We did discuss some ways to improve parking next year, so we'll see. I know we are not able to pump from the causeway anymore, but people can pump if they want to. I may try it next year with my pumper. I've only run the pump once since I owned it.

      I'm open for suggestions to improve the notice about pumping.

      There was one aerial raised at the show, but without the safety equipment listed in our rules (wheel chocks, metal plates), we had to ask that participant to put it away.

      Howie
    • James Chadbourne
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2010
        I confess since I couldn't pump I didn't really read the rules.  Is pumping no longer allowed from the causeway, or merely difficult?  I noticed the bushes have gotten large, but with careful placement I could still get a suction between them without damage.  I know it's the parade entrance, but I've not seen many people go out that way.

        Hopefully next year for me. . .

        --James
        Never attempt anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic later.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2010
          In a message dated 6/13/2010 9:22:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mack505@... writes:

          I confess since I couldn't pump I didn't really read the rules.  Is pumping no longer allowed from the causeway, or merely difficult?  I noticed the bushes have gotten large, but with careful placement I could still get a suction between them without damage.  I know it's the parade entrance, but I've not seen many people go out that way.

          I believe the property managers don't want us pumping from the causeway which does limit access to the few other places. I will put it on my notes.

          Howie
        • Brian Huss
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2010

            I have pumped nearly every year and I’m normally one of a couple that do.  The wiring for my pump is a mess this year, so I didn’t try.  I agree, it is the few opportunities to pump each year.  I try to keep my rig fully functional.  Most people don’t seem to care.

            I think there are a lot of things that can be done to pull more people to the event.  Encouraging things like pumping is one of them.

            Brian T. Huss, DVM, MS,

            Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons

            CEO & Chief of Staff Vetcision, LLC

            781-810-1010

            www.vetcision.com

          • James Chadbourne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2010
              For my own status, I didn't get things drained well enough a few years ago.  My tank to pump valve is junk, and the aux cooler lines are blown.  The lines are easy to cap; I can't use them anyway as the heat exchanger is cracked.  I've never needed them anyway.  The TtP valve is a bit harder but not impossible.

              I think that's all, but after they're fixed I'll have to put it on a hydrant and see where/if the water comes out.  As I've said, hopefully. . .

              Howie, I'd be happy to help with the Maxim(s).  I'd love to see it flow water.  My deck gun is at your disposal.  What I really want to see pumping is the trailer.  I think that would draw a crowd.

              --James
              There's no I in team but there is one in cyclops.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 15, 2010
                In a message dated 6/14/2010 9:49:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mack505@... writes:
                Howie, I'd be happy to help with the Maxim(s).  I'd love to see it flow water.  My deck gun is at your disposal.  What I really want to see pumping is the trailer.  I think that would draw a crowd.
                someday! ....I was going to try this year but dead battery and no time....