Eid Al-Fitr Prayer :: Announcement :: Prayer at Zilker Park

  • Masjid Ibrahim
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

      In this digest:
      Eid Al-Fitr Prayer :: Announcement :: Prayer at Zilker Park
      The Proof for Eid:
      The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:
      “When I came upon you, you had two days that you confirmed to celebrate from the jahiliyyah; indeed Allaah has substituted them for you with what is better: the day of sacrifice and the day of Fitr (breaking the fast).” [Ahmed, Abu-Dawud with an authentic chain]

      Masjid Ibrahim community and large number of Muslims in the Austin area started to fast on Tuesday (10/4/05). So, Tuesday (11/1/05) will be the 29th of Ramadan. We will look for the new moon of Shawwal on Tuesday, insha’Allah.

      As you know, Masjid Ibrahim follows the opinion of Wahdatul Matale' (unification of the horizon), so if the moon is visually sighted anywhere in the world (without relying on calculations), then we break fast as numerous Hadeeth on the subject expressly indicate. Our position on this has been same from day one.

      ”Fast when you see the crescent, if it is obscure to you, then complete thirty days in the count of Sha’baan. And break your fast when you see the crescent; if it is obscure to you, then fast thirty days.” [Al-Bukhari, Muslim]

      The “you” in this Hadeeth is referring to Muslims in general, anywhere in the world - even a single trustworthy Muslim witness. This opinion is famous from the Companions’ era to our time and we believe the proof behind this opinion is stronger insha’Allah.

      Also, the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was questioned by the Companions whether they can use calculations to determine the start of lunar months. His response:

      "We are an illiterate nation; we neither write, nor count. The month is like this and this (motioning with his fingers), i.e. sometimes of 29 days and sometimes of 30 days." [Al-Bukhari, Muslim]

      Even though the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) knew well the Companions were writing Qur’an and Hadeeth and using calculations for Zakat, business, etc. in his time; yet, he chose these strong words to close the gate of using astronomical calculations completely.

      The Decision for ‘Eid-Al-Fitr, 2005:
      Insha’Allah the first day of Eid may be Wednesday (11/2/05) (if the moon is sighted on Tuesday anywhere in the world) or Thursday (11/3/05) (by fulfilling the 30th day of Ramadan).

      Masjid Ibrahim will arrange ‘Eid prayer on the day we will break the fast, either Wednesday (11/2/05) or Thursday (11/3/05) at Zilker Park.

      The Rationale behind the Decision:
      The Board of Directors of Masjid Ibrahim after fearing Allaah (Ta’aalaa) and depending upon the proofs that the scholars have used since the Prophet’s time till now and in consultation with our Imam, Sheikh Khalid Sayed and in further consultation with our Board of Advisors has reached this decision.

      Our message to the community: we have been patient with the other administrations of the Masajid in Austin so that the Imams can get together and come to a decision insha’Allah which all the Masajid can uniformly follow. However, the consensus that the Imams agreed upon in the past was not implemented. We ask Allaah to correct our affairs.

      During all these past years, even though we started and broke fast according to the opinion explained above, we have been delaying Eid prayer hoping that unity will prevail in Austin but it has not happened. Therefore, this year we have decided to follow the Sunnah and observe the 'Eid prayer on the day we break the fast. Wallaahul Musta'aan.

      An Appeal to the Community:
      To uphold the Sunnah (methodology of the Prophet) is supreme and is the stated Mission of Masjid Ibrahim, therefore, we encourage the community to start and break the fast as the Prophet’s (Sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) Sunnah instructs us.

      At the same time, dear Admins of masajid in Austin and our beloved brothers and sisters in the community, we are hopeful Allah may facilitate matters for us in the future, so, please don't hasten to judge matters and don't make this a gateway to vain talk. We will continue full cooperation at all levels with the other Islamic Centers in Austin to promote and strengthen Islam as before in accordance with the Qur’an and authentic Sunnah of our Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). We seek Allaah’s (Ta’aalaa) help and all success rests in fulfilling the commandments of our glorious deen.

      Program Details:

      Date: Wednesday (11/2/05) or Thursday (11/3/05)
      Confirmation:Call 512-MY-DAWAH or check www.MasjidIbrahim.org for updates starting Tuesday (11/1/05)
      Venue:Zilker Park (Polo Tables Picnic Area)
      Directions: Directions to Zilker Park
      Prayer time: 9:30 am
      Khutbah: 9:45 am – 10:15 am
      10:15 – 10:45Sweets, snacks, toys
      10:45 – 12:45Fun activities
      Elaborate Playscape for kids
      Zephyr train ride for everyone (20 min RT)
      Soccer and Canoeing for brothers (30 min RT)
      Socialization for everyone
      12:45 – 1:45Lunch
      2:00Dhuhr prayer, conclusion
      Parking Fee:None
      Ticket price:No charge for Prayer or Parking.
      $5/single, $15/family covers everyone’s fun, lunch, gifts.
      Larger donations help cover cost of park and setup and are greatly appreciated.

      IMPORTANT:
      DO’S

      • Restrooms are extremely limited, so please come prepared with Wudu.
      • Bring your own mats (preferably waterproof with no décor).
      • Maintain Islamic dress code: men should not wear shorts above knees; women should wear proper hijab and not display their ornaments.
      • There is no baby-sitting provided; parents/guardians are responsible for their children at all times.
      • Show your best Islamic manners. Smile and give a helping hand to people.
      • Bring cash or check to participate in the ‘Eid activities. No credit/debit cards please.
      • Please follow all instructions given by the security team or organizers at all times.

      DON’TS

      • No mixing between brothers and sisters. Please respect each other’s privacy as instructed by our glorious deen.
      • No littering. Please use park disposal receptacles for all trash.
      • Breaking or cutting into lines (for food, toys, activities) will not be tolerated and is cause for removal from Eid activities.
      • Illegal/double parking will not be tolerated by park rangers and offending vehicles will be towed at owner expense.
      • No video or photography will be allowed at the event to respect privacy of families. Masjid Ibrahim reserves the right to photograph this event for their records.

      Jazak’Allah khairan
      Masjid Ibrahim Administration

      Directions to Zilker Park:

      Location of Eid Prayer:

      Masjid Ibrahim
      1701 W. Ben White Blvd Bldg 3
      Austin, TX 78704

      512-MY-DAWAH (693-2924) | admin@... | www.MasjidIbrahim.org

      Click here for directions to the masjid.

      Masjid Ibrahim is a non-profit organization wholly dependent on donations. Please click here to support the Masjid activities.