Any advice on using Bugzilla with CVS

  • Camille Bell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good practices
      of how to incorporate Bugzilla bug tracking with CVS.

      Here is some background on the project, if it helps.

      One of my associates is leading a team of folks
      developing C++ for an embedded systems platform. Our
      team is also responsible for integrating developed
      software from a European team working with us and we
      are also responsible for coordinating with a European
      hardware team. The distributed development adds
      complexity to the development process, but is mandated
      by the customer. Additionally, while we can control
      our own development, we have no control over the
      development practices of the other teams with whom we
      work.

      Anyway, we are working to improve our Agility on this
      project, but the distributed challenge, some customer
      mandates and differing team practices necessitate more
      formalism than some other Agile projects might
      require.

      Given this, does anyone have any advice on good ways
      to use Bugzilla and CVS together? Should we add tags
      to CVS to track bugs? Is it worth the effort or are
      check-in comments and versioning sufficient?

      thanks,

      Camille

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2005
        Camille Bell wrote:
        > Given this, does anyone have any advice on good ways
        > to use Bugzilla and CVS together? Should we add tags
        > to CVS to track bugs? Is it worth the effort or are
        > check-in comments and versioning sufficient?

        What is it you're trying to accomplish? Is anyone going to go back and
        check what changes are related to what fix? Or is this just something
        that seems like a good idea?

        Certainly putting the bug number in the CVS comments is sufficient to
        find the patch for that bug, but I'm not sure what use can be made of
        that information.

        - George

        When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
        I think how evening follows morn; iDIA Computing, LLC
        So many I loved were not yet dead, gdinwiddie@...
        So many I love were not yet born. http://www.idiacomputing.com
        'The Middle' by Ogden Nash http://www.agilemaryland.org