Re: WSSC -> next important step to preserve riding

  • Barbara Sollner-Webb
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
      Dear everyone who cares about preserving equestrian trails!
      WSSC's dangerous precedents of (1) demanding collecting and packing out horse droppings from distant portions of woods trails and (2) forbidding clearing of branches that block the trail (without having it done by a professional) appear the FIRST EXAMPLE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD of any woods trail riding venue requiring these things (according to a lot of research I and others have done). Lots of people across the country are watching, for if enacted here, they could be used as prototypes for similarly mean-spirited managers at other venues to also block equestrian use there.
      TROT members have been WONDERFUL in fighting WSSC's irrational changes. Now, the next round:
      Hopefully many members will be willing to help again this week. PLEASE come to (or provide testimony for) potentially important hearings on WSSC's upcoming budget, this Wednesday and Thursday. I intend to agree they do need funds for upgrading their dangerously aging pipes, but sweetly remind them about not jeopardizing funding -- since the astute County Councils put into WSSC's current funding legislation: "Public access that is more restrictive than policies in effect prior to the 2011 changes should be supported by the science and industry best practices"; it sure would be a shame if their funding is impeded by many parts of their draft new watershed use regulations not supported by science and industry best practices (but evidently designed to deter recreational use).] The meetings are 2/6/13 7:30 PM in Largo (1400 McCormick Dr, Rm 308) and 2/7/13 7:30 PM in Rockville (100 Maryland Ave, 7th floor Council Room); to speak, sign up at 301-206-8110. [More info at <http://www.wsscwater.com/home/jsp/misc/genericNews.faces?pgurl=/Communication/NewsRelease/2013/2013-01-30a.html>.]
      Please come to speak! Or send testimony to budgetgroup@... with a CC to CouncilDistrict1@....
      Thanks so very much!
      yours, Barbara

      in [TROT-Members] Digest Number 514, Grabiner1@... on Mon Feb 4, 2013 7:09 am wrote:
      < Debby is absolutely right. WSSC excels in disguising its intentions in purposely obtuse wording. (Remember the original "notification" about the trail closures??)
      < WSSC General Manager Jerry Johnson cares as much about our concerns over this issue as he does about my left pinkie toenail. Don't let that stop your pressure on him and the entire commission (commission chairman's name?).
      < Also, please continue the pressure on your elected representatives. If they say, "We can't influence WSSC's policies," tell them: "You approve WSSC's budget. If that's not 'influence,' what is?"
      < Remember: they're waiting for us to give up and go away. Show them that won't happen.
      < Dana
    • Karen Kraushaar

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
          Thank you. Yes, the Maryland Horse Council's incoming President, Jane Seigler, has provided excellent testimony at all the past hearings, and at the Maryland Horse Council's recent meeting 59 signatures were collected on the petition about this.
          While that is great, we also individual citizens to come out and testify.
          You do not need to ride these trails to make important points. For instance, while WSSC is are asking for another rate increase, they have spent over half a million dollars on trying to eliminate the riders ($225K for the outside study and more than that on their internal time). Is that how you feel WSSC's limited funds should be spent -- rather than on upgrades fixing their leaking and outdated pipes?

          From: Karen Kraushaar <kraushaar@...>
          Subject: Re: [MarylandTrailRiders] Re: WSSC -> next important step to preserve riding
          Date: February 4, 2013 4:53:09 PM EST
          To: Barbara Sollner-Webb <bsw@...>