Cedarville State Forest - Prince Georges County

  • river20640
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
      Just wanted to tell folks about the nice set of trails available for riding in Cedarville State Forest, just a few miles east of Hwy 301, just north of Waldorf, MD. A friend and I have been riding there quite a lot as it's mid-way between where we live. Yesterday we we rode 20 miles. Seems every time we ride there we discover another new trail of two. The area is pretty flat and the trails are a misture of narrow single track trails and old fire roads. The soil down there is pretty sandy so the trails dry quite fast. And the old fire roads have a lower base of gravel covered with softer footing. The parking area is huge and you can just pull thru without having to manuever or back into a parking space. A trail map is useful for the first time but the trails are color coded and marked their whole length with colored markers.

      There is also a horse camp ground with bathrooms! It really needs to get more use so if you and a friend wants to do a weekend camp and ride it's one of those very few places in MD where you can camp over.

      Bonnie Snodgrass
    • Grabiner1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2010
        Thank you very much for this tip, Bonnie!  Love the idea of overnight camping.  Anyone have a checklist of Must-Haves for horse camping?

        Now that I'm mobile -- albeit with the ugliest trailer ever -- I'm dyin' to hit the road (figuratively).  I expect to load her in it for the first time today.  Hope she doesn't feel embarrassed in front of her friends.

        Best,
        Dana