Tick Bite - Bad Reaction

  • horsefly3263
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      Has anyone else's horse had a bad reaction to a tick bite? My horse has two large golfball size masses that are oozing from the site that I pulled out the ticks. The vet put him on antibiotics and something for inflammation and to stop the reaction but they are very sore and swollen. I have never seen a horse react so bad to a tick. My vet also gave him something just in case he may have gotten lymes (which he has no symptoms) Also, any recommendations for tick repellent? Thanks for your comments.

    • pahart3
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
        i have seen a few ticks bites get nasty like that. since it's only
        happened i couple times but not any other, i assume i accidently left
        part of the tick stuck to him. i didn't call the vet; just watched
        closely and treated it with a drawing ointment. i have not had my
        horses treated for Lyme but if you can afford it, i think 'why not'. as
        for repellent ... a good fly spray that works for ticks. we use 'horse
        & pony' from tractor supply [i think]. it is oily but really does stick
        to them and lasts a long time.

        just my thoughts, kt

        --- In MarylandTrailRiders@yahoogroups.com, "horsefly3263" <klaface@...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone else's horse had a bad reaction to a tick bite? My horse
        has two large golfball size masses that are oozing from the site that I
        pulled out the ticks. The vet put him on antibiotics and something for
        inflammation and to stop the reaction but they are very sore and
        swollen. I have never seen a horse react so bad to a tick. My vet also
        gave him something just in case he may have gotten lymes (which he has
        no symptoms) Also, any recommendations for tick repellent? Thanks for
        your comments.

      • Barbara Sollner-Webb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
          dear "K",
              please tell us, what antibiotic (also how much and for how long) did your vet recommend, and what additional treatment to deter the lyme!
              after a very recent camping trip, we initially picked several ticks off our horse (and ourselves), but i missed the extent of the problem, by looking mainly where i have seen the horses having ticks/tick bites in the past -- the chest/neck, forelock/mane and tail.  a few days later, i happened to touch one of the guys' "legpits" (is that what one calls the equivalent of an armpit?), and there were literally scores of ticks/welts there.  the largest welts were nearly golf ball size, and the whole area was obviously very tender, as i pulled off enumerable ticks.  yick!  i sure feel bad about not looking there sooner.  between our long-term vet and the vets of two others whose horses also got tick reactions from the camping trip, it seems there is not a consensus recommendation for what to do [wait to see if they develop much larger swelling (our vet said to worry if the swelling gets the size of a large orange) or joint soreness, versus treat immediately, and if doxycycline for how long].
              with our horses, in the two days between discovering the extent of the tick problem and actually starting them on the doxy, the welts shrunk greatly (from picking off the ticks?  or maybe just from the extra time?)   and now, another two days later, some are back to virtually normal feeling, and all are much better.  but i am still finding some new ticks in the "legpits" of these three horses, that i swear weren't there the day before (yet none on the three horses who didn't go to camping).  how long do these ticks hike around?
              i also am not clear what to do, to best repel/kill ticks in the future.  our vet said that pyrethrum spray helps.  it seems there is disagreement if it helps to ivermec treat the horses.
              i will be interested what your and other folks' vets have recommended, both to treat inflamed tick bites and potential lyme, and to initially repel/kill ticks.  trying to read up on this seems rather confusing.
             hopefully folks who ride regularly in areas with lots of ticks will share their experience/advice!
          yours,  Barbara
          from Laurel

          On Jun 1, 2009, at 1:46 PM, MarylandTrailRiders@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          Tick Bite - Bad Reaction